Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

DigiJem wrote: »
    Great running yesterday, you make it sound too easy Good to meet you & Mr. stew.

Great to meet you and very well done to you also.
    I loved your report, especially the bit about al the bodies shuffling towards the Finish line:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Wow, congrats on a great run, fair play to you and what a wonderful race report...i felt like i was there with you (iykwim)...Well done!!

Thanks Anne, it was a super race, if you ever consider a 50K this is the one to do actually how would I know? I've only done one!!!

You're flying at the moment. What's next for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Martha, Don't think i'll ever progress to 50k, don't think i'd have the discipline or time to train for it!!!
    Next for me is the Meath Spring Half on Sunday week and then hope to keep clocking up a few miles and do a few shorter races ...then it will be time to start training for DCM!!!
    You won't find the time now till Conn, your training is going great at the min!! Well done Mrs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Marthastew wrote: »
    I've been reading your log Dory and I'm sure you would have LOVED running round the forest with Cl and the gang! If you're thinking of heading past marathon distance next year (or maybe you already have?) you should start saving now for another trip to Ireland, this was a really special race.

Glad to see your training is going so well, I get tired even reading it, are you sure you're not Wonder Woman in the flesh?:D

Honest to goodness, to trot around the forest with you girls and chat away for 4 and a half hours is something I would definitely consider. What a blast that would be! The longest race I've done is a half marathon.....my first marathon is in just over 6 weeks....and I've got all the crazy emotions you can imagine. Okay.....I'm going to keep next year's 50k in mind! :)

Sunday february 19th

I decided to give poor Mr Stew a well deserved rest after running around the forest supporting me on Saturday so I had volunteered to be on duty at the coffee dock at my boy's rugby club. I woke early, a little dehydrated so I had lots to drink and was thrilled to see I had time for a quick dip in the Irish Sea to bring my legs back to life, they felt tired but no more so than after a long run. I popped on my bike down to the 40 Foot, glorious sunshine, I even stayed standing in the water for longer than usual and my legs felt great after.
    Off to the rugby club feeling very smug with myself and all morning I was waiting for somebdoy to ask me if I had done anything interesting the day before so I could say "Funny you should ask, I ran 50K!"..... but nobody asked, I should have worn my fabulous Donadea T-shirt:)

Weekly Miles Total: 36.18:eek::eek::eek:the lowest milage week for me in a long time.
    I was concerned about my IT band before Donadea, I also didn't want to finish the race feeling shattered as I wanted to give myself the boost I got from feeling that I could have run further, the low milage paid off, but who's to say I wouldn't have felt even better if I had done a big week?
    I would have been very happy to rest all week but I see I'm moving down that darn 1,000 mile challenge and belcarra casually mentioned we are neck and neck on the table while we were wandering through the forest (which is pretty much the same as saying "You're going down Mrs. Stew) so I'll have to put in some miles this week, I think my legs will be back to normal soon....

• Advertisement

Monday through Friday

This week was supposed to be about recovering well and getting back into the last few weeks training before Conn but I basically feel that I haven't stopped running since last Saturday as things have been so busy. From a runnig poiont of view it has been a great week so I've nothing to complain about at all:D
    The hectic week was a number of factors combined, Mr. Stew away for work and also lots of extra work for me and then the spanner among the works; two friends arrived from Chicago on Thursday, having told me on Wednesday they were on their way to Dublin. I used to work for an airline so when somebody says they might come visit you they will eventually make it. The week has been super and I've managed to fit everything in.

Monday
    Dip in the sea
    I'd a voucher for a massage in a salon so I decided to use it, it was actually not bad at all and it helped my tired legs.
    Followed this with a very small recovery run; 4.62 miles avg pace 9.48 and then Body Pump.
    Feeling good

Tuesday PANCAKE TUESDAY:):):)
    dip in the sea
    45 minute lower body workout
    45 minute mat pilates class
    feeling great after all that stretching I had time for a short run, 5.3 miles avg pace 8.45
    45 minute Pilates on the reformer.
    Feeling tired but good

Wednesday
    Headed out on a run hoping to run as many miles as pancakes I had eaten on Tuesday (10. YUM, I love pancakes, 4 savoury and 6 sweet; eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner. ) I headed for the hills of Killiney and discovered that I was most definitely not recovered from Donadea, struggled a lot on the uphills, even walked a small bit. In the end I stopped looking at the Garmin as it was pi**ing me off so much and was such a nice day so I began to admire the view, talk to cats and have fun instead; 7.3 miles avg pace 10.34:eek:
    I did the lunchtime half hour spin class in an effort to burn off some more of the pancakes

Thursday
    Dip in the Sea
    Trip up to Balinteer to Ciaran Fitz, he told me I was in good shape then pummelled me to pieces, OUCH, but well worth it.
    Chicago guests managed to find their way to my house and were there to greet me as I got home.

Friday
    I sent the guests into town and met up with my friend for a nice LSR.
    We cheated and took the nice flat route in and out of town and tagged on the west pier. I was a bit tired to start but I felt great as the run went on. We even managed to pick up the pace a bit for the last three miles
    18.03 miles avg pace 9.40. Rain to start and we finshed in wonderful weather. I followed this with a 45 minute body Pump class, my legs were tired but it was great to stretch them out.
    I felt super after, definitely glad I went to Ciaran Fitz, my legs feel so much lighter.

My poor guests are used to a much more funnier, boozier me (Ah...., the good old days:p) however in an effort to make up for it I have been cooking delicous food for them and filling them full of drink.
    They're off sightseeing again today while I run around the house like a tornado, I managed to squeese in a sunny dip in the sea this morning and I hope to get out this afternoon for a few miles before they get home.
    Phew!

Wow...where do you get your energy & time...Fair play to you, you really have fitted lots in this week. Im tired just reading your log every week....:D

Wow...where do you get your energy & time...Fair play to you, you really have fitted lots in this week. Im tired just reading your log every week....:D

I'm lucky enough to only be working part-time from home so if I've a busy day I just get up early. I'm not the most scintillating company in the evenings:)

Are you all set for next week? You've been putting in some great work, I'd say there's a PB on the cards for you:D

Heres hoping:D

Saturday and Sunday
    ... the end of a long week.

Saturday afternoon I managed to sneak out for a recovery run with my running pal, fabulous day for it.
    4.72 miles, avg pace 9.43

Sunday
    I dragged one of the Chicago guests up Killiney hill, he has many marathons under his belt but hasn't run in a long time so I'm not so sure he appreciated it, he forgave me when we got to the top and the view was out of this world. It was early in the morning so only a few people and their dogs around and the birds were chirping loudly. I was proud to show off one my favourite running routes.
    6.02 miles avg pace 10.18.
    I then dragged both the guests up the Sugar Loaf as the day was just so amazing, it was packed up there, but still spectacular.

Total weekly miles 45.71

The guests have gone home so I'm going to try and get a few decent runs in this week. I'm doing the Howth to Bray run next Saturday and I'm actaully looking forward to that, I think I'm going to suggest we all have a dip in the sea at the end so we will have really earned the chips:) I just might be "univited" on the run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I then dragged both the guests up the Sugar Loaf as the day was just so amazing, it was packed up there, but still spectacular.

I was up there myself for a look yesterday @ about 3pm.
    Didn't spot you though!

belcarra wrote: »
    I was up there myself for a look yesterday @ about 3pm.
    Didn't spot you though!

We were there at 1.30 so we probably left just as you got there. Wasn't it spectacular? even if it was crowded.

You probabaly ran up and down it and all the way home again:D
    See you Saturday, I'll put the Child of Prague in the back garden so we get a nice day for it

Monday 27th Feb
    Up at 4.30am (yes, 4.30 am) to take the guests to the aircoach and I decided to stay up and get a head start on my work for the week.... with the result that by the time I got the kids off to school etc I was in no mood to head out into the rain for a run, I did some more work then popped down to the gym for 45 minute Body Pump class, this gave me a bit more energy for the rest of the day.
    Then I got a text from my running pal asking me if I'd head out with her that evening for a run, I was delighted as I had had no intention of running.
    6.91 miles avg oace 9.53 min/mile, tired after along day but it was a super evening to be out. Lots and lots of runners about also.

Tuesday 28th Feb
    Dip in the sea
    45minute lower body class
    45 minute pliates reformer class
    10 mile run (approx 1 hour 25minutes) into Sean Moore park, NO GARMIN!!, I had forgotten to charge it. I had my iPod though so I popped on an episode of marathon talk and just decided to relax and run. It was an old episode with Mo Farah, having recently seen him on Brian's post I decided to listen to it, a great episode. They were also discussing the difference between "joggers" and "runners", very interesting. I'm one of those people who hate being descibed as a jogger but it occurred to me that I'm practically jogging now that I have upped the milage so much. They read out different people's opinions and lo and behold; boards' very own Raycun was quoted, he said (if I remember correctly) that as long as you are pushing yourself you are running not jogging, I agreesmile.gif They were also discussing speedwork and I was thinking that I can't wait to get back into some more structured training after Conn. I'm getting a little tired of miles and miles...

Wednesday 29th February
    leap day... I asked Mr Stew if he would marry me all over again and he said he would, so that was a great start to the daysmile.gif (he had to say yes, three kids and a cat...rolleyes.gif)
    Getting tired of miles and miles I decided to do some hill repeats, I cheated a little since it has been so long since I've done anything like this and I chose an easy enough hill at Bullock harbour, I'd seen a guy doing some there the other day. It was actually not that bad, I went up fast down slow 8 times, after a warm-up and then I had a cool down run, I need to have a proper look at my pace, the distance, elevation etc.. I'll get Mr Stew to analyse it for me, he likes that kind of stuff
    5.51 miles

Total monthly miles for February 206.57
    total annual miles 456.52

Thursday March 1st

Quick dip in the sea, one of the swimmers checked the temperature and it's a balmy 9degrees Celsius, it was like soup in there. Well, it obviously wasn't like soup but it is a full 3 degrees warmer than this time last year. Lovely morning for it.
    45 minute Boot camp class, tough going, lots of burpees and the like but I avoided the high impact stuff like jumping up and down off the step. I followed this with a hilly run, Vico road etc, what a glorious day. I started off very tired and slow but after I warmed up I felt great, my 7th mile was done at 7.50 pace but it felt easier than the first mile which was 9.40 pace, I think I'm just a bit like an old car that takes a while to get going (old something anyway:p)
    8.65 miles avg pace 9.25
    30 minute spin class as a cool down

Rest day tomorrow and 30 mile Howth to Bray on Saturday, I'm looking forward to it, it would be super if we got weather like today

Friday 2nd March
    rest day, 45 min Body Pump to loosen up
    And I drank lots of water and ate lots all day in prep for the LSR on Saturday

Saturday March 3rd 30Mile Howth to Bray LSR
    Mr Stew and I joined meno and Aimann on the dart at Glenageary, my friend Karen joined us at Sandycove. We were all thrilled that the weather was so perfect and we chatted away on our way to Howth. Right before we got there Karen anounced that it seemd like we had been on the dart forever and what were we lettiNg ourselves in for?:)
    The fact that I was getting Meno and Aimann to tell us all their amazing running stories didn't exactly help calm us down and I think we were tempted to turn around and get the dart back home instead....
    We were joined outside the station by Micilin, Graham, Al and Niall and off we went.

30.04 miles later we arrived in Bray, it was as simple as that:D:D
    I can honestly say that I really enjoyed the day. |As there were quite a few of us we got a chance to chat to different people along the way. We had three stops along the way for drinks/snacks and I even managed to take a few photos as well. The wind at Clontarf was tough enough but apart from that we were really blessed with the day. Micilin left us in Sandymount and Mr Stew and Karen said goodbye to us in Dun Laoghaire (Mr Stew was having so much fun he was tempted to stay with us but as he's only doing the full, not the Ultra, I convinced him to call it a day at 22miles)
    Our last stop was in Dalkey, I was getting tired of sweets and just had water with an electrolyte tab (thanks Meno) and off we headed for the hills of Killiney. Even though I am no stranger to Vico Road neither Graham nor I could keep up with Meno, Al and Niall, I managed to keep them in my sight all the time and lucky for me Meno had to avail of the bushes in Killiney hill so we joined them again for the final stretch to Bray. The downhills were fabulous and we stayed strong to finish feeling great in Bray, job done!
    30.04 miles avg pace 9.15

Dart to Howth 3.60
    Drinks and snacks en route approx 8euro
    Dinner box in the chippers 8.90...........
    finishing the last VERY long run before Conn Ultra in great company with the sunshining:PRICELESS

Sunday 4th March
    Mr Stew and I joined a friend for our recovery run, she used to run and will only now run with me after a LSR, we were too slow for Mr Stew so he headed off to clock up a few miles and we both did a very easy 3.23 miles in just over 30minutes. My legs felt a bit tight but I think I paced it right and should recover qucikly. Another glorious sunshiny day but a lot windier and colder.

TOTAL FOR THE WEEK 54.36

Monday March 5th
    Another dip in the 40 Foot, Brrrrrr. It was cold but sunny and high tide and my legs were glad of the shock therapy.
    Lots of foam rolling and then I headed out for a nice easy recovery run.
    5.06 miles avg pace 9.30.
    I followed this with stretching and a 45 minute bodypump class, my legs are good as new.

In other news... I entered the Flora Mini marathon:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, I know it's supposed to be horrific, crowded, full of walkers, crawlers and impossible to get around.... but I've never done it and I wanted a short term goal for after Conn and I have been doing no speedwork at all. I used my 5 mile race series to get, wait for it.... an elite entry, all that was required was a sub 45 minute time. I wanted to check and see just how slow the race is and I couldn't find any previous years results on the website so I emailed them and asked if I could find the results somewhere.
    The the reply I got doesn't fill me with confidence....

I am afraid not. With 40,000 entries each year we do not have the space for anything fancy like that

Anything fancy like..... previous years' results? Have I just been lucky enough to have only entered fancy races up till now? Because just about every race I've run (big or small) has had a results history.
    Still, how bad can it be? I love running in Dublin city and I'm sure it will be good fun. I've never raced a 10K so I'm gauranteed a PB no matter how long it takes me to get around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

OMG you're doing the Marathon in June , is it too late to un-invite you for Mar 23 :D

Seriously it's great fun run and if you can get a clear path, it's PB all the way...watch out for the walkers joining on Holles St though!

shazkea wrote: »
    OMG you're doing the Marathon in June , is it too late to un-invite you for Mar 23 :D!

Actually, since I'm an elite now I've decided to take things seriously and not go out anymore so I won't make the 23rd:D:D:D:D:D

Looking forward to seeng everyone, should be a great night:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Actually, since I'm an elite now I've decided to take things seriously and not go out anymore so I won't make the 23rd:D:D:D:D:D

Ah now, no need to be that drastic in your elite status - we'll just not let you buy any alcohol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

In other news... I entered the Flora Mini marathon:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, I know it's supposed to be horrific, crowded, full of walkers, crawlers and impossible to get around....

Fact ; You must consume Monster Munchies during the race
    Fact;You must run/walk whilst holding hands with other athletes
    Fact ; You must stop for a smoke every mile whilst proudly sporting a Cancer research top;)

Well done on the Howth to Bray 30 miler - I'm planning on tackling it this coming Saturday.

• Advertisement

can't believe i'm missing it:eek: would so love to join you but alas not possible...definitely next time

Martha well done on the great run on Saturday...you make it sound painless..as always!!!

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Fact ; You must consume Monster Munchies during the race
    Fact;You must run/walk whilst holding hands with other athletes
    Fact ; You must stop for a smoke every mile whilst proudly sporting a Cancer research top;)

Well done on the Howth to Bray 30 miler - I'm planning on tackling it this coming Saturday.

OMG! This race is perfect for me, monster Munchies, fags, hand-holding, I'll top it all off with a few tears along the way:D

Very best of luck on Saturday, it's a super route and we were very lucky with the weather, I'll leave the Child of Prague out for you and CL and I'll keep an eye out for you on the Vico Rd.

can't believe i'm missing it:eek: would so love to join you but alas not possible...definitely next time

Martha well done on the great run on Saturday...you make it sound painless..as always!!!

What a pity you won't make it on 23rd, we could have celebrated your PB! Hopefully we'll all make it the next time. with Conn just a week after I won't be overdoing it too much.

Tuesday March 6th
    I didn't sleep too well on Monday night, most probably because I had eaten the bag of Giant Chocolate Buttons that I had hidden from the Raheny 5 mile and ate the whole bag just before I went to bed! I was STARVING all day Monday and I had been eating fairly sensibly until I came across the Buttons, YUM!!
    I dragged myself down to the 40 Foot for a dip and that cleared some of the cobwebs so I headed to the gym for
    45minute lower body workout
    45 minute mat pilates
    45 minute pilates on the reformer, I was feeling much better after all this but I decided to have a running free day. I was still starving all day but luckily I had to make do with Ginger Nut biscuits and there is only so much of those you can eat.
    Wednesday March 7th
    dip in 40 foot again, still very cold but my legs felt super after.
    Headed out to tackle those hills in Killiney again, I'm planning to run these as much as possibel over the next few weeks.
    8.64 miles avg pace 9.05
    Still hungry all day, not sure what is going on...

Thursday March 8th
    Had a huge breakfast of yogurt, eggs, toast and porridge, I'm determined to eat healthily today....
    Started the day with a dip in the 40 Foot again and then I headed down to Kildare Outlet to get some new asics, the pair I bought in the January sales has over 500 miles in them so I decided to invest in a new pair for Conn (:) yes, I'm getting to the stage of my training where I buy stuff to make me a better runner, won't be long before I'm heading down the supplement aisles!)
    The 2150s were half price 57 euro and the 2160s were 72 euro with a special discount they have on this weekend. I told the sales guy that I hadn't really noticed any difference in the two having just worn both of them, he proceeded to tell me that I would need to be "running very long distances, you know, over 20K" and I said "Young Man, I'll have you know I'm the proud owner of a Donadea 50K T-shirt and I run form Howth to Bray for fun", well actually I really said that to myself, to him I said "oh, Ok" and I bought one pair of each:) Mr Stew and the boys will be thrilled when I tell them that's my Mother's Day present sorted.
    I made it back in time for the lunchtime half hour spin class and 15 minutes of abs.
    If the clouds clear I hope to make it out for a fullmoon run later while the boys are at karate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

and then I headed down to Kildare Outlet to get some new asics,
    The 2150s were half price 57 euro and the 2160s were 72 euro with a special discount they have on this weekend. I told the sales guy that I hadn't really noticed any difference in the two having just worn both of them, he proceeded to tell me that I would need to be "running very long distances, you know, over 20K" and I said "Young Man, I'll have you know I'm the proud owner of a Donadea 50K T-shirt and I run form Howth to Bray for fun",

So am I ;)

i still get tired everytime i read your log;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Only just read your log for the first time today. A great read, I'll be adding it to my favourites. Some great running in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

outforarun wrote: »
    Only just read your log for the first time today. A great read, I'll be adding it to my favourites. Some great running in there as well.

That makes two of us. Fantastic log and race reports.
    Good luck with the mini marathon. Not to put you off or anything but I've done it twice and never again. I'll say no more ;)
    It is a fast course alright once you get past the million walkers.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    It is a fast course alright once you get past the million walkers.
    Given how many of them see fit to jump in at various points along the course, it could be argued that you never truely get past them... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Given how many of them see fit to jump in at various points along the course, it could be argued that you never truely get past them... :eek:

True!

Advertisement