Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL DRAFT 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Janoris Jenkins fired by his agent. His off the field issues just keep piling up.

<3 Miles Burris

Not only does he destroy the 3 cone drill (#1 time of all linebackers this year), but he goes and does this straight after doing so...

Will be a terrific pick for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,121 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Being intelligent > being of average intelligence > being borderline mentally disabled.

A score of 4 on the wonderlic indicates that you're dumb. That may not be a dealbreaker on the football field, but it sure isn't a positive.

It's not borderline Lloyd, he genuinely does have a diagnosed learning disability. It's been well known since he came out of high school and it's something that by all accounts he does his best to overcome, especially when it comes to football by putting in extra hours every week on the playbook.

Calling him dumb is way out of order.

It's not borderline Lloyd, he genuinely does have a diagnosed learning disability. It's been well known since he came out of high school and it's something that by all accounts he does his best to overcome, especially when it comes to football by putting in extra hours every week on the playbook.

Calling him dumb is way out of order.

Okay, fine. Let's be specific and put it like this:

being very good at reading and reasoning > being average at reading and reasoning > being unable to read and reason

NFL players are required to read and learn every day they are on the clock. As such, a score of 4 is a huge red flag.

Schemes in college are less complicated and roles are simplified - and the schedule is far less intense. Far more information to imbibe week on week in the NFL. As such, extreme results on the wonderlic are absolutely a valid concern.

• Advertisement

I wasn't arguing with the point you were trying to make. Is it an issue? Yes. Is it a big issue? No, it shouldn't be if it's managed correctly. I was arguing with your decision to call a kid with a learning disability dumb. It's uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If it were me I would be getting in contact with Claibornes teachers, coaches etc to see what his study habits are like.

Ok its a poor score but it hasnt affected his game so far and is something you can get round if he is able to pick stuff up in a specific way.

Charlie Casserly was explaining how they would tailor their coaching to specific players. He said some guys can pick it up watching tape, other guys can follow it on the board with x's and o's and other guys required to be shown on the practise field.

Clairborne will be fortunate in that the team that picks him is going to take the time and effort to find what suits him as he is their 1st round pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If it were me I would be getting in contact with Claibornes teachers, coaches etc to see what his study habits are like.

Ok its a poor score but it hasnt affected his game so far and is something you can get round if he is able to pick stuff up in a specific way

By all accounts thats exactly what scouts have done and they've come away very impressed by Claiborne. It makes it difficult for him but it hasnt affected his ability to play at an elite level with LSU and shouldnt have a lasting effect on his NFL career

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Chucky's QB Camp is Back (3 Eps in so far)
    Andrew Luck Part 1

Andrew Luck Part 2

RG3

Brandon Weeden

Most people know about the other two but I really liked the Weeden one, came across as a cool guy.

Presume Tannehills is up next, looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Nope, not him next, some other guy, it was on today during work...can't think of his name now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm presuming Claibourne has an agent at this stage? And surely said agent would have done a mock wonderlic with Claibourne before the real one. If he really is that poor mentally, would he not have been advised to random guess, thus ensuring at least a basic score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I'm presuming Claibourne has an agent at this stage? And surely said agent would have done a mock wonderlic with Claibourne before the real one. If he really is that poor mentally, would he not have been advised to random guess, thus ensuring at least a basic score?

If he ticked all A's or all B's surely he would have got at least 8 right if not more depending on the how the answers were spread between the letters.

If you just went AAAAAAA that would be a huge red flag to NFL scouts irrespective of how many you "got" doing that.

And as I've said earlier in this thread, randomly guessing is no gaurantee of a better score. You could just run very bad (or very well obviously) with your guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I agree with Lucky Lloyd, it would have made it much worse if he had tried to cheat the exam to cover up his problems.

The fact of the matter is that he is not a bad kid or a slacker or messer he made an honest attempt at the exam and so be it. He has a valid reason for his score and because of that it wont affect him. If he lands with team that puts in the time he'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There have been other players in the NFL with learning difficulties

Nate Davis QB was drafted by the niners

Had 11 on the wonderlic and his learning disability was out in the open and he was getting help with it

Didn't work out for him in SF but he showed flashes

Claibourne has a lot of work to do but it won't be as ridiculously complicated as an NFL quarterbacks playbook

Brock Osweiler

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

the big thing for me with claiborne is his tape and that is incredible hes matched up well with receivers who are big in the nfl now. hes got a learning disability this does not mean he cant learn it just means it would be better to approach teaching him his playbook differently, something a billion dollar nfl franchise has no issue doing for a stud cb.

the thing is hes not stupid his brain just approaches things differently.

on top of it he seems like a gud guy if a team passes on him because of his score they are idiots and dont deserve him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Rams thinking of Richardson at RB. That would be a lethal combo with Jackson. Is it a case of picking the best player available (somewhat akin to The Planet Theory) or should they fill holes elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I enjoyed both the interviews with Luck and Griffin.

He probed Luck well on the psychological pressures of being the son of a QB, 'replacing' Manning, the media presure about being great even Gruden refers diretcly to him' you greats' which I always find uncomfortable. He also dissected plays with him, got him to hold his hand up with some errors and explain his thought process behind why he took the shot. He seems to know football plays, systems and definitions. He's a very intelligent kid.

Griffin looked relaxed and comfortable. Seemed well able to describe where he came from and coping being a QB for the team, taking shots and making plays. He did get bogged down in the 'perception' of him and what it means to show the world he is who he is. Of course this is also a good thing but you don't want to have too much of an attitude or when your stuggling you'll take the criticism personal. He's obviously talented but I was put off by him speaking about his skills, seemed confident which is good but verged on conceited. He was also very adapt at describing his own system; very simple and having one word change-ups made it easy for a non technical fan to understand.

If anybody was undecided between the two I think they should watch thsi and see who they take a shinning to. I preferred Lucks natural confidence and he seemed better adapt at a system/playbook wise.

Are any of the other ones worth a watch?

I think they are all worth a watch tbh.

Wasn't a fan of Osweiler and even though Gruden seems to love everyone you can kind of see he was scratching the surface trying to find good things to say about him. Focusing on the obvious stuff like his size and power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone else think that in Osweiler's interview it seemed like he had studied exactly what he was going to say? If you just listened to it and didn't know he was in Gruden's office you would think he was reading from a script.

I've been reading he's hot on Denver's radar and XEF went down to Arizona for a private workout with Osweiler. Surprising IMO. I'd have thought they might look to take Weeden much more so than Brock, although the big difference in age and that fact that Manning will be there for a few years yet meaning Weeden would be well into his 30's whilst Brock would only be mid 20's when it's time to step in for Manning will make a lot of difference too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Gotta say the Andrew Luck video is very impressive. The level of intelligence and football knowledge that he has is pretty amazing for a rookie and far more impressive than any other QB Ive seen in Gruden's camp over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Luck seems like the real deal alright, was sure he was already but the interview puts me over the top on that guy. He is just impressive.

I was really impressed by Weeden who I really liked before watching that but he comes across as an impressive guy. I think he is going to be successful wherever he goes.

RGIII's one kinda worried me a bit. He is an impressive guy too but I just get a feeling after his interview that he is a guy that needs things to be perfect. The comment he made there which was something like 'I really don't care what you think, as long as you respect me for who I am and my football ability then you can laugh at my socks' just throws up red flags to me about his attitude. I dearly hope I'm wrong about that because I really like the guy and hope he goes on to be a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Russel Wilson was on it last night on ESPN America, very confident in his abilities, also Gruden pointed out how smart he was to be able to learn and master two different offenses through his college career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

eagle eye wrote: »
    Luck seems like the real deal alright, was sure he was already but the interview puts me over the top on that guy. He is just impressive.

I was really impressed by Weeden who I really liked before watching that but he comes across as an impressive guy. I think he is going to be successful wherever he goes.

RGIII's one kinda worried me a bit. He is an impressive guy too but I just get a feeling after his interview that he is a guy that needs things to be perfect. The comment he made there which was something like 'I really don't care what you think, as long as you respect me for who I am and my football ability then you can laugh at my socks' just throws up red flags to me about his attitude. I dearly hope I'm wrong about that because I really like the guy and hope he goes on to be a great one.
    tbh to me that says say whatever **** you want about me but I'll let my football do my talking, Tbh I'm only really interested in who packers get in the draft with no real clues about our picks come out, everyone kn ows where first and second will be going

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Complete non-event. If anything, that quote is a very good sign of his attitude.

Rams thinking of Richardson at RB. That would be a lethal combo with Jackson. Is it a case of picking the best player available (somewhat akin to The Planet Theory) or should they fill holes elsewhere?

i think blackmon is both best available and fills a huge hole. jackson seems to be gettin a bit beat up hes been carrying the team for years and i think well c it hit him soon so richardson could be worth a look but you have to add a good reciever to give bradford a bit of a break

The following 26 players have been invited (and accepted) to attend the draft in NY:
    They are, in alphabetical order: Alabama safety Mark Barron; Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon; LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers; LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne; North Carolina defensive end Quinton Coples; Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox; Stanford tight end Coby Fleener; Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd; South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore; Georgia tackle Cordy Glenn; Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III; Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower; Georgia Tech receiver Stephen Hill; South Carolina defensive end Melvin Ingram; USC tackle Matt Kalil; Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick; Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck; Boise State linebacker Shea McClellin; USC defensive end Nick Perry; Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe; LSU receiver Rueben Randle; Alabama running back Trent Richardson; Penn State defensive tackle Devon Still; Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill; Alabama linebacker Courtney Upshaw; Baylor receiver Kendall Wright.

The following 26 players have been invited (and accepted) to attend the draft in NY:

whos going to be this years brady quinn/nick fairley type drop

• Advertisement

Courtney Upshaw or Jonathan Martin would be two candidates, but it's hard to tell. They're just guesses.

Speaking of drops, no teams in the NFL have schedule any visits or private workouts with Vontaze Burfict. I've never seen such a spectacular drop in stock since I've been following drafts. Just completely bottomed out.

Advertisement