Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right.....here it goes.

• 29-11-2011 5:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

I think I need to do this. I hate internet blogs, mainly because I always abandon them :pac:

However, I'm a long serving member of boards and so I'd imagine it would be VERY difficult for me to break the promise I'm about to make.

I'm not one for languages. How many times have people said that? I know I said it all through the Leaving Cert., which is why I sought out Ordinary French and Irish because I wasn't bothered. むずかしいですね!Or so I taught myself to believe. I just had no incentive or drive to learn them.

But now.....I'm throwing myself in the deep end. As much immersion as I possibly can. Anime, music, manga, chatting with Japanese people (read: women and barmen :P ). I'm mainly utilizing the famous ajatt website, but I find myself constantly looking for more and more Japanese.....

I want to see if it works. I NEED to see if it works. The progress I've seen in the last month is freightening. I can't believe how certain situations have become so much easier with the few words I've learned. I WANT MORE.

So, I'm making a promise here, on boards, to do as much as I can, as often as I can, and update this thread as much as I can.

There....I've said it.....no I have to do it, otherwise my reputation (on the ever busy Classical forum :pac:) will be completely ruined! :D

This is not a blog (although it may be a tool for me to keep my promise ^o^). This is an experiment. If other people want to reply with their difficulties and learning aims, do it!! In fact, let's use it as a collective 'what did you study today?' thread!

Gonna try for 20 new kanji today, using RtK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ah awesome, what a good idea! I'll probably be posting here every now and again too - Japanese is starting to get confusing in college >_>

Best of luck with the learning and I can't wait to hear how you're getting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Good luck with ajatt! I've tried it with another language... I failed! AFAIR, the chap behind that site managed fluency in 18 months. Not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Bang on! It was 18 months. His fluency definition was the ability to watch tv, read the paper and hold a natural conversation. In 18 months that's pretty fantastic alright.

Personally, I'm not giving myself a time limit, but I'd like to start seeing results in a year.

Aimed for 20 kanji, got 30. See how today goes.....

Hit 100 altogether today, and decided that it's a nice time for reflection.

I seem to have about 90-95% retention rate on them, which I'm delighted with.

It's getting noticeably more difficult, but occasional kanji that just 'stick' without the need for a mnemonic makes life a whole lot easier.

I'm also doing a JET programme self study course, but it's only using romaji so far, so I've been neglecting it somewhat by speeding through the course work. I find it helps with everyday vocab I need here, so I'm happy with that.

Here's to the next 100.....

Ah, good stuff! I'm up to 75-85ish (We've done 75 in kanji class so far but there are other kanji that have come up in our grammar classes that I know) at the moment so should be hitting the 100 next week. I'm doing pretty good with them so far. Sometimes I forget the various readings of the characters but I find that seeing them in context helps a lot with that!

• Advertisement

That's main problem with RtK, that I've personally found anyway. No context or stories, just mnemonics and primary English meaning.

Going to stick with this though and finish the book! Hopefully sometime around new years, then on to sentence SRS.

I also started the Japanese in Mangaland book today, so I'll update on that in a few days time! ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

I really should get back into learning. I was pretty dedicated over the summer but when work increased, it just dropped off.

This thread has renewed my urge to learn :)

Another 40 down today. Hit a patch in RtK that was just a joy to learn with his mnemonics. Maybe for me specifically it was, I don't know.

Anyways, kanji of the day for me:

Very easy to remember! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Another 40 down today. Hit a patch in RtK that was just a joy to learn with his mnemonics. Maybe for me specifically it was, I don't know.

Anyways, kanji of the day for me:

Very easy to remember! :)

微妙!very useful explaining any situation that you don't really want to explain!

Good luck with the blog!

^^ What does it mean, for those of us who haven't come across it yet? :)

• Advertisement

Heisig says to remember 'exquisite'.

I think by itself it means something more along the lines of 'strange', or 'unusual', or 'odd'.

Perhaps Giruilla could give a better translation? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Its a great word and said a lot in everyday japanese. I guess it can be used in a lot of ways, but the most common way is it means something is a bit subtle or complicated. Like, 'its kind of hard to explain' or 'thats a delicate situation'.

So if someone say asks 'whats your relationship like with your boss?' and in fact you can't stand him but don't want to really say so... you can just say ’微妙です!’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I know about 200 kanji now but haven't used the heisig method, simply cause I wanna sit Japanese in the leaving cert in June and when I started going about it I didn't really know anything about the heisig method. Iv learnt a handful of kanji using the heisig book and it is soooo much faster, I'll definitely be using it all summer once I have more time.

Can anybody recommend a kanji dictionary? I'll get some money over Christmas and I want to spend it on something that doesn't contain 40% alcohol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

There is another post I wanted to write back to about learning kanji, been a bit busy studying for JLPT amongst other stuff, but for now I'll just reply to this. I would say there are many books out there much much better than the JET course so if you are going to use them, perhaps its better to use them only as a revision type activity. Pick any of the well known books (genki or mina no nihongo or japanese for busy people, there must be other ones too) as they are way better. I wouldn't say don't use them at all, but I doubt it would harm you if you didn't.

Yeah thats a nice kanji, also used in "妙高", Myoko which is in the city of Niigata prefecture. I guess it means strange heights, or something similar? Really beautiful place and one of the best places in Japan to ski.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

OP, I admire your motivation. How do you seem to remember so many kanji a day and when did you start studying?

I really need a kick start concerning my study plan. I started learning Japanese, embarrassingly, 4 years ago. I say embarrassingly because after learning of someone becoming fluet after 18 months, I feel my level is brutal. I haven't been studying the whole time and hit my fair share of walls, not to mention work and lack of time being a factor.

I need some goals and direction. In the past I've used and still do:
    • JapanesePod101 - Brilliant introduction to the japanese, but feel I need to listen to each episode 10 times for the vocab and grammar to sink in – sometimes the conversations at the start are pointless until you know the vocabulary. After using Michael Thomas to revisit French, I find most other language packages treat you like a parrot, and in doing so, makes it incredibly difficult to go from beginner/elementary to intermediate.
    • Pimsleur - Just started with this. Doing it from the beginning as a refresher and trying to do a lesson a day during my lunch break. Bit slow but good listening practice. I find having a foundation in the language helps, and it's helping me fix my grammar errors. However if I was a total virgin to the language, I wouldn't recommend solely using this method.
    • Reading/writing: Just got the Heisig book, and I'm going to start again on the kanji. About two years ago, I suppose I knew about 400 of the little buggers however I've forgotten a lot. In the past I've also used Genki which I recommend. Other kanji books I can speak highly about are: Let's Learn Kanji and Easy Kanji (Handy little paperback for the train, uses a similar approach to Heisig to introduce 300 of the basics and how the characters evolved in China).
    • Nintendo DS: Tadashii Kanji Kaki to Rikun is also a good supplement. Available from Play-Asia.

I never heard of ajatt – thanks for the link. I'll come back again with updates, maybe a list of good Japanese movies to watch. All help appreciated.

The Heisig method, pure and simple!

I was quite sick over the weekend, so tried to keep up, but it was slow going. Reached 200 today.

My favourite, purely for it's simplicity:

Forest!

EDIT: Hoping for 250-275 by the weekend.

222 today.

Sorry thecharger, I never answered a question!

I started around the beginning of November, but only started the ajatt method about a week and a half ago.

No idea if it's going to work, but sure we'll see! Mainly trying to have fun with it.

word for the day, calendar.

[SIZE="7"][/SIZE]

Finished part 1 of Heisig. From now on, he starts to filter out his own stories, and forces you to come up with images.

I found over the last week I may have been progressing a little too quickly, so I slowed it down a bit. Still, I'm about 1/8 the way through and have about a 95% success rate on the SRS (using ANKI).

Have a huge flight on Friday to look forward too.....Heisig will be my companion!

I also might start looking at the Mangaland series, to branch out a bit.

Also, I've come to realise that nothing is better than acing a really tough kanji after a few days of learning.

My only problem with anki is having to sit down and actually do it everyday...

I might get the app, I've heard it's decent.

Going on quite a lengthy flight tonight/tomorrow, will be travelling for about 24 hours altogether. So, I'd imagine this and jet lag will play a huge part in me NOT gaining ground on this anytime soon.

• Advertisement

So has all progress ceased for christmas? :D

320! :P

haha! I won't lie, the xmas season has had it's effect! But honestly, the flight over is still lingering and I'm trying my best to just revise every day.

The revision is happening, but visiting people, going up and down from Wexford to Maynooth is having too much of a toll on my progression.

Ultimately, I'm happy that I can still remember the 320. But.....

It's an interesting point I suppose....is the removal from Japan effecting my studies? We'll see.......I'm going to aim for 400 kanji NEXT weekend. Completely doable.

Let's see! ^_^

352! (^o^)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

My only problem with anki is having to sit down and actually do it everyday...

I can relate to that. Anki is amazing and can generate amazing short-turn returns but I found that without testing and re-enforcing what I had learned through writing the kanji I wasn't truly "learning" to the extent that I hoped.

I try to write all my 'Ankiing' out, or at the very least 'draw' the kanji in my hand with my finger. I've noticed most Japanese people do this when trying to remember a kanji.

363, falling behind a little, but I don't mind because of the holidays. Back to Japan in a week from today, so it should be a kick in the arse.

Saying that, I think I can reach 400 by the weekend.

I think...... :pac:

I found when I was doing Anki I'd have to take a breather every few weeks to consolidate what I'd learnt, otherwise I'd start forgetting a few. It's probably easier if you're in Japan and immersed in the language and kanji though...

Yeah, and I reached a point where Heisig advises doing this, so I obliged him.

380, and I don't think with the weekend that's in it I will be able to get another 20, but I'm happy enough with that!

I'm now on 400 and just back in Japan.

Progress has been slow, but I'm attributing that to the increased amount of kanji, the jet lag, the birthday celebrations and the expected home sickness!

I think I should use the next few days/week to revise the 400.

Oh Lord, Christmas trip to Ireland really took it's toll. My sessions today have been the worst by far. I think consolidation is definitely the key for a few days.

• Advertisement

400 is a lot for a year, let alone a few months. Especially if you've just started on the whole kanji thing from scratch. Perhaps start to learn how to use some of the ones you've learnt in words. Everybody's different, but I've always found that learning is made easier if you go broad and deep in equal measure. You have a very broad range of kanji in your head, but (afaik, so apologies if not!) it's probably pretty superficial knowledge with limited practical application. Learning a few words to fit the kanji into will help strengthen and build on what you've learnt, as well as acting a way of avoiding getting pissed off knowing reams of characters but not knowing what to do with them!

Advertisement