Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

• 24-09-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

So you're waiting for a new recruitment campaign...?

This thread is for discussion, support and advice on the moratorium.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 colmdel

Hi lads just starting this thread for those of us waiting to apply. Share what you know with the people in the exact same boat as you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Chusko

Thanks for starting this thread,great to have a place dedicated solely to those of us waiting to apply whereas 'waiting room' is for those who have passed the necessary stages,fair play Colmdel.
    How are you finding the wait?Its an opportunity to upskill,every cloud has a silver lining and all that!

Chusko wrote: »
    Thanks for starting this thread,great to have a place dedicated solely to those of us waiting to apply whereas 'waiting room' is for those who have passed the necessary stages,fair play Colmdel.
    How are you finding the wait?Its an opportunity to upskill,every cloud has a silver lining and all that!

Starting to take its toll at this stage:( already after spending 4yrs in college so im gonna take a break might take up a small first aid course to add to the cv. other than that not much I can do is wait impatiently like everyone else:mad:. How about you Chusko?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

No harm to get ECDL under your belt, and if you haven't started driving yet now is the perfect opportunity.

The moratorium is horrible. That is the only way I can describe it. But you have to take the positive side to it.. use it as time to learn and get experience. My sole aim over the period of time until the next campaign is to make myself a better candidate for recruitment. For anyone waiting, and who is serious about a career in policing, you guys should be doing the same!

colmdel wrote: »
    Starting to take its toll at this stage:( already after spending 4yrs in college so im gonna take a break might take up a small first aid course to add to the cv. other than that not much I can do is wait impatiently like everyone else:mad:. How about you Chusko?

Its best to take the moratorium as an opportunity to make yourself a better candidate and doing a first aid course will certainly help.I'm in my late 20's so I don't think I'll have too many opportunities to apply till I reach the age limit.
    When recruitment campaigns do start up again I cant imagine them occuring on a regular basis so I've the attitude-if I get in great,if I dont its not the end of the world...no point in anyone putting all their eggs in one basket.
    easier said than done but its best to be as positive and productive as we can while we wait

• Advertisement

Thats it lads stay positive and hope for the best!! I have plently of driving licences, im working my way through them with the Reserve Defence Forces. Currently on trucks:D you just cant beat driving around in a big green truck:D Whats an ECDL course?

European Computer Driving License.. certifies that you are proficient in the basics of computer use. Handy thing to have.

eroo wrote: »
    European Computer Driving License.. certifies that you are proficient in the basics of computer use. Handy thing to have.

Oh right might aswell have a look into it. Thanks

Do as it could be a future requirement for recruitment campaigns. I found it boring but it is useful in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

No doubt one of the ' older hands ' around here will have a better idea than me but I have heard the qualifications ( in addition to Leaving Certificate of course ) that may be required for future recruitment are :

ECDL

Full Driving Licence ( may be a good idea not to do the test in an automatic )

Life Saving Qualification

First Aid Qualification

To my knowledge a report was done that recommended these be included as requirements for future recruits but it has not been officially announced , that said it would do no harm to have them - in any event these qualifications are , in my opinion , very useful ' life skills ' to have.

Best of luck to all you folks waiting to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

Delancey wrote: »
    No doubt one of the ' older hands ' around here will have a better idea than me but I have heard the qualifications ( in addition to Leaving Certificate of course ) that may be required for future recruitment are :

ECDL

Full Driving Licence ( may be a good idea not to do the test in an automatic )

Life Saving Qualification

First Aid Qualification

To my knowledge a report was done that recommended these be included as requirements for future recruits but it has not been officially announced , that said it would do no harm to have them - in any event these qualifications are , in my opinion , very useful ' life skills ' to have.

Best of luck to all you folks waiting to apply.

Just to add, that report said "
    It is recommended that certification in swimming to an agreed standard with a recognised
    qualification is a pre-selection requirement for entry to An Garda Síochána."

What a certificate in swimming means, I'm not sure, but it may not be the lifesaving qualification

Geansai wrote: »
    Just to clarify the report said "

It is recommended that certification in swimming to an agreed standard with a recognised

qualification is a pre-selection requirement for entry to An Garda Síochána."

What a certificate in swimming means, I'm not sure, but it may not be the lifesaving qualification

I stand corrected Geansai thanks , yeah just what a swimming certificate entails is a good question.
    One would hope that if these requirements are introduced that they are flagged well in advance of a recruitment campaign kicking off so people have time to get these qualifications.

If anyone is going to do a first aid course, I'd recommend going for Occupational First Aid. It's a bit more expensive and usually 3 days. It's very good and more detailed, so it can only be good to improve your ability in that area!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Galway1987

Good to see a seperate thread for this. I've a degree in Public Administration as of last year, pool lifeguard award, 6 years done in the Reserve Defence Forces and am currently in South Korea teaching. I decided to head away for a few years until recruitment opens up again ON A REGULAR BASIS, which I reckon will be in around 3 more years. Any talk of it back home? Nothing I'd like more than returning home in a few years and booking into Templemore

AGS is being told to find ways to cut costs. There's two ways of looking at this; a) They are cutting costs, so an expensive recruitment campaign or reopening Templemore to recruits would be costly. b) By cutting costs they might be rewarded in the next budget with a recruitment campaign next year or year after.

I would lean towards b) as the Defence Forces undertook a major expenditure review, sold off barracks etc, and they have been granted cadet and general recruitment. Fingers crossed the same goes for AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Just out of curiosity, would anyone have figures for how much a new recruitment campaign costs? (the campaign itself, as run by Public Jobs, as opposed to the actual training of successful recruits by AGS.)
    Anyone have any info, likks etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1009/garda.html

Hmmmmm,,ye might have to wait a little bit longer to get to Templemore,thats a bit of a downer but retirements are "low" at the moment, at the moment!!

Nothing unexpected. There will be no mass exodus as some people have convinced themselves!

Yep, i wouldnt leave if i was one of them anyway

Retirements are low but wait and see what they will be end of november,I think the 400 is for those who will be retiring this year,any garda who has the intention to leave before feb 2012 wont submit their notice until november.more than 400 will go but how much more is anyone's guess.It doesn't bode well though for a new campaign before 2015 if entrants were brought in from a new campaign before 2015 numbers would probably be over 13,000 come the end of 2014.

• Advertisement

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/govt-to-publish-three-year-plan-for-economy-at-end-of-october-523751.html

Govt will be publishing 3 year economic plan at the end of the month, so this should shed some light on our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Nothing unexpected. There will be no mass exodus as some people have convinced themselves!

Indeed, I'm sure many Gardaí still have mortgages and/or children.

Someone recently did make the very good point that with the economy in the mess it's in employment opportunities for retired Gardai will be very limited.
    All retired Gardai I know or know of took up a new position upon retirement , possibly a case of fewer jobs = fewer retirements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

AGS is being told to find ways to cut costs. There's two ways of looking at this; a) They are cutting costs, so an expensive recruitment campaign or reopening Templemore to recruits would be costly. b) By cutting costs they might be rewarded in the next budget with a recruitment campaign next year or year after.

I would lean towards b) as the Defence Forces undertook a major expenditure review, sold off barracks etc, and they have been granted cadet and general recruitment. Fingers crossed the same goes for AGS.

Cut costs....sell a few assets?

Delancey wrote: »
    Someone recently did make the very good point that with the economy in the mess it's in employment opportunities for retired Gardai will be very limited.
    All retired Gardai I know or know of took up a new position upon retirement , possibly a case of fewer jobs = fewer retirements ?

Fewer jobs + same old financial commitments/restraints = fewer retirements.

In 2009,over 800 gardai retired and there was limited job opportunities then.It's all speculation but we'll know for sure come end of November.

http://theirishobserver.blogspot.com/2011/09/garda-promotions-and-retirments.html

Listening to Alan Shatter on the news the other day speaking about the fact the previous Govt agreed to cut numbers without any actual plan, leaves me thinking it will be 2014 before a new campaign. That way he will ensure the numbers go down to 13,000 gradually. This is providing he can clear this with the IMF. I see the EU/ECB/IMF are in town for the next 10 days. I imagine this will visit will shape the Govts 3 year plan, and the outcome for a recruitment campaign.

Listening to Alan Shatter on the news the other day speaking about the fact the previous Govt agreed to cut numbers without any actual plan, leaves me thinking it will be 2014 before a new campaign.

It's a convenient excuse for them to spew out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

imo a recruitment campaign is not even on their mind or will be discussed, they are worried about meeting the agreement to cut numbers. it wont even be thought of in the 3 year plan. they will be focused on getting down to 13,000 for 2014. when it comes closer to the number needed they will make a shape towards recruitment, i think an intake will happen late 2012 or 2013 and campaign same time. i can still see at leased half if not more retiring come February, it pays in the long run id say rather than staying on for another 3/4/5 years. this how i see it happening, my opinion on the subject .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm 23, and my burning ambition is really to join the Gardaí. I'm guessing that I'd probably be at least 26 before the Gardaí do another recruitment drive?

So far this year, I've gotten LASEK surgery done, so I've perfect vision now. I've also gotten my full driving licence. I'm going to try to get back into Tae Kwon Do (I had to quit it due to work committments).

I'm guessing that in the 3 years or so I have to wait, judging from the posts here, that First Aid courses and such wouldn't hurt?

Also, I've got some university experience under my belt. I'm guessing this won't hurt either?

Any advice on other things I could do to add to my C.V. (which is already pretty impressive; not to sound big-headed, but it is) that would be a boon to my chances when the next recruitment comes around?

Advertisement