Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Ya i was an attendant too and I thought that their English paper was easy too, like a theme of Mystery was very broad! :L I don't like Heaney as much as Kavanagh, but I'd say he'll come up as he wasnt on the course last year, or next year... so they still want him to be in circulation for the year 2014 and to make sure he isn't a guarantee for the 2014's... same reason with Larkin.... Haven't studied Larkkin yet, but hopefully by looking at some of his work it doesn't seem too bad... :L I hope Plath comes up (haven't studied her yet either but she seems grand writing about nature and animals and etc is more of my area! :L )
    Do you have any ideas in any subject? What subjects do you do? :D
    Plath is a brilliant poet, she is very easy to write about and her poetry is actually insanely interesting! She doesn't really deal with the theme of animals/nature, your probably talking about the poem "Pheasant", this poem actually circulates around the theme of the unfair balance between the sexes, and how men seemed to be able to dominate realationships. She uses great imagery and themes in her poetry which makes her very enjoyable to study! We studied her as our first poet, fingers crossed she makes an appearance in June! :D, we've also studied Rich, Boland and Kavanagh. I Loved Rich, but surprisingly hated Kavanagh and Boland, it's unusual because she's normally everyones favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Ya>? Well, I'm hoping that Plath comes up anyway! I have read Child and Mirror and they were enjoyable... but I do like Kavanagh... Just something i like about him... But we seem very far behind in english! We have only done 3 poets (Frost, Heaney , Kavanagh ) Hamlet, And one of our comparitives ( The kite runner ) And thats it.. no work on paper 1 at all!!! :O :/ And no work on unseen poetry... it'll be an epic Fail next june! :L
    Whats your comparitives? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

i'm doing: english,french,irish,maths, home ec, art, and geography...

well i was thinking Kinsella MIGHT come up...though we're fecked if he does since he hasnt ever been in the papers... He was ok to do actually!! Rich is a complete tool :pac:... i hated writing about her stuff..granted some of her poems are ok...but it gets repetitive o.O
    i want to do plath too!! heaney was ok-ish and i dont even know if we'll cover larkin!!

as for comparative- i'm doing Dancing At Lughnasa, As You Like It and Lamb...

And Hamlet- he's epic :pac:...and as far as predictions go...the only one that i have that could be of use is that the predicted questions on Hamlet are:
    1)whether or not hamlet is a hero or a villain (i know everyone practices this but apparantly the mocks from 2011 are a good guideline for 2012 or whatever)
    2)The importance of Ophelia and Gertrude (hope this is a wrong prediction tbh)

Ya our teacher told us Kinsella hadn't come up in years, but he's on next years curse, so there is a strong chance he'll come up... :/ I am doing the kite runner lamb and I'm not scared (an Italian movie) for Comparitives... :/ Im doing English irish maths biology chemistry french accounting and music... :L
    Hamlet is grnd... I hope that the women in Hamlet comes up! I wrote an essay for my summer exam on that!! :L Thats my best question.. but id say villain will come up as usual! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Call Me Lia

Has any other Leaving cert class of 2012 people looked at any of the exam papers from this year?? :O I know it might be a bit early for predictions but i presume Larkin and Heaney willl come up in english... But.. i suppose its WAAAAAAAAY to early to think of that.. but im fuming with Accounting.. our teacher told us that all the topics we do this year is defo coming up for us in 2012... And ALL and I'm not exxagerating at all, all the topics we did this year came up this year... :/ it'll be a mess... :L But to answer your quetions... Im not really studying yet.. doing a bit of english here and there ( its my worst subject so trying to pick up work) and I'm not reli dreading it... just looking forward to meeting all my friends again! :L Hah..

Same for me! Just looking at the exam paper now: debtors control accounts, incomplete records, club accounts, the budgeting q, we did them all and very few others, and they all came up! Unfortunately, our class is split up between ordinary and higher level and that really slows down progress, as the teacher has to divide her time between us. I've a feeling that she's been mainly concentrating on the ordinary level this year, and hopefully next year she'll look after us a bit better. Hopefully...:rolleyes:

Subjects: English, Irish, Maths, French, Chemistry, Physics, Accounting, and Applied Maths. Hi to everybody! :D

• Advertisement

The comparative i'm doing is Dancing at Lughnasa, How many miles to Babylon and Inside i'm dancing!

Subjects: Irish, English, Maths, French, Business, Music, Geography, Economics, LCVP! :)

i swear, i'll probably die from all this writing for english...i think i'm allergic:pac:
    ahh jeesh sure i suppose if we worked... :eek:

Same for me! Just looking at the exam paper now: debtors control accounts, incomplete records, club accounts, the budgeting q, we did them all and very few others, and they all came up! Unfortunately, our class is split up between ordinary and higher level and that really slows down progress, as the teacher has to divide her time between us. I've a feeling that she's been mainly concentrating on the ordinary level this year, and hopefully next year she'll look after us a bit better. Hopefully...rolleyes.gif

Ya thats the exact same here! Our class is split into Honours and Pass... but there is only 6 in our class anyway! And i think the pass person is moving school! :L But it doesnt help that the teacher is redeployed too!! :/

What do people think of the new Project maths and the new irish curriculum? Imo i'd still prefer the old maths course and have the project maths one as a choice instead of the old one!! :/ What do people think of the other subjects too? Any predicitons yet? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

the new irish is terrible, well it is for pass anyways , especially the oral section they have added in 20 picture stories. so its not just a general chat anymore. i honestly dont see the point in project maths, its the same topics that we would be doing anywyas only they added a bit of colour!

i really hope plath comes up this year i love,love,love her!!
    and my friend told me that a woman nearly always comes up and i think they got bloand this year so it only really leaves plath and rich and they are both easy.
    i quite prefer female poets to maleoets as i find that i can connect more with their poetry which makes it eassier and more enjoyable for me.

im also doing wuthering heights, which i finished reading during the summer becuase i love it so much , i seriously think every person should just read it, its amazing!

apart from that iv done hamlet and inside im dancing, so far we have actually covered alot in english.

accoutning kind of confusses me, how many topics do we have to do , because i dont feel like iv actually done that much this year so im freaking out over that as i want to get really good marks in it.

subjects im doing are: english,irish,maths,german,home ec, business,accounting and lcvp

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Ya i was an attendant too and I thought that their English paper was easy too, like a theme of Mystery was very broad! :L I don't like Heaney as much as Kavanagh, but I'd say he'll come up as he wasnt on the course last year, or next year... so they still want him to be in circulation for the year 2014 and to make sure he isn't a guarantee for the 2014's... same reason with Larkin.... Haven't studied Larkkin yet, but hopefully by looking at some of his work it doesn't seem too bad... :L I hope Plath comes up (haven't studied her yet either but she seems grand writing about nature and animals and etc is more of my area! :L )
    Do you have any ideas in any subject? What subjects do you do? :D

Everything's easy when you don't have to do it :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

You guys do realise when a paper is easy, it's marked a lot harder than usual to balance out the difference? :confused: A tough paper will be marked easy, an easy paper will be marked hard. :confused:

Also guys predictions are bad news. Especially at the start of the year, if you're ever going to use predictions then do it the night before an exam fopr quick revision purposes. Don't ever solely study the poet that will definitely come up or an experiment that your teacher "guarantees". Nothing is guaranteed otherwise we'd all get A1's. This year saw thousands of people relieved over the poets that came up. But it also saw thousands dismayed when the wrong case study came up in history.

Predictions=the stupidest thing you will do this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Such good advice!
    Last years poets, i was convinced Wordsworth was going to come up.. was his first time coming up on the new english course, hes not up for your leaving cert.. all the teachers in my school were certain he was coming up.. had an A1 essay ready for him..
    didnt show up on the day, you just never know!

Of course predictions aren't guaranteed, and i do think people are just completely stupid to rely full heartedly on them but they do give an accurate representation of what to expect to come up, and usually they do pay off in some way or another... They can't mark papers like English particularly "harder" as such because it is the most subjective exam going really, but I do agree that some papers do get marked easier than others in some situations. And I do say that English was an "easy" paper (I know as you have said I didnt take the exam, my views might be slightly altered)as the theme given for Paper1 was "Mystery" - quite broad IMO, and for paper 2 the poets were quite predictable and the Hamlet questions were "basic" enough... but, still, It would have seemed a lot harder than it is if i was doing the Leaving cert this year I'd say.

All in all, I can say that IMO, predictions are good if used carefully- I use them for most exams and for the majority (almost all the time) they pay off.

Of course predictions aren't guaranteed, and i do think people are just completely stupid to rely full heartedly on them but they do give an accurate representation of what to expect to come up, and usually they do pay off in some way or another... They can't mark papers like English particularly "harder" as such because it is the most subjective exam going really, but I do agree that some papers do get marked easier than others in some situations. And I do say that English was an "easy" paper (I know as you have said I didnt take the exam, my views might be slightly altered)as the theme given for Paper1 was "Mystery" - quite broad IMO, and for paper 2 the poets were quite predictable and the Hamlet questions were "basic" enough... but, still, It would have seemed a lot harder than it is if i was doing the Leaving cert this year I'd say.

All in all, I can say that IMO, predictions are good if used carefully- I use them for most exams and for the majority (almost all the time) they pay off.
    While the poets that came up may have paid off for a lot of people, statistically the most likely poets to come up this year were Hopkins and Wordsworth neither of which appeared. And the examiners will very easily be able to pick out the learned off Boland and Frost answers.

As for Mystery being an easy theme, believe me the essay topics this year were far from easy!

Ya? Well, I would have thought of Boland to be one of the poets due up... and for the essay titles... :O They seem grand! (IMO) For me, I would have loved that paper... :L Writing about a story in which a mystery is solved or the impact of technology in the lives of the youth! But as I said -- IMO-- I would say it depends on the person really, some one might have found the paper easy while others found it impossible and the same person who found english easy might have found maths impossible... :pac:

Ya? Well, I would have thought of Boland to be one of the poets due up... and for the essay titles... :O They seem grand! (IMO) For me, I would have loved that paper... :L Writing about a story in which a mystery is solved or the impact of technology in the lives of the youth! But as I said -- IMO-- I would say it depends on the person really, some one might have found the paper easy while others found it impossible and the same person who found english easy might have found maths impossible... :pac:

Haha believe me once you have every english paper for the last ten years done you'll see the essay titles were very different from previous years. And yes Boland might have been an obvious choice but the question that came up wasn't. Would have been very hard to get a prelearned answer into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Never thought I'd find myself round these parts again! Did the LC in 2009, started studying Irish and German in TCD, dropped out, and now I'm going back to repeat in the Institute.

What subjects ye doing?

Irish, English, German, maths, history, chemistry, biology, ag science. All HL except for OL maths.

How much study are ye doing?

At the minute, not a whole lot, maybe 7 or 8 hours a week.

Whats the plan after the leaving cert?

Vet med in UCD, hopefully!

How's the social life? :cool:

.. grand? Well gonna disappear during the year though.

etc....etc

lainey108 wrote: »
    the new irish is terrible, well it is for pass anyways , especially the oral section they have added in 20 picture stories. so its not just a general chat anymore. i honestly dont see the point in project maths, its the same topics that we would be doing anywyas only they added a bit of colour!

and my friend told me that a woman nearly always comes up and i think they got bloand this year so it only really leaves plath and rich and they are both easy.
    i quite prefer female poets to maleoets as i find that i can connect more with their poetry which makes it eassier and more enjoyable for me.

im also doing wuthering heights, which i finished reading during the summer becuase i love it so much , i seriously think every person should just read it, its amazing!

apart from that iv done hamlet and inside im dancing, so far we have actually covered alot in english.

accoutning kind of confusses me, how many topics do we have to do , because i dont feel like iv actually done that much this year so im freaking out over that as i want to get really good marks in it.

subjects im doing are: english,irish,maths,german,home ec, business,accounting and lcvp

wuthering heights- bloody epic- i bought that i dont know how many years ago and still love to read it ^_^

Ya? Well, I think the course is almost identical to the honours irish one.. I like the poems, and the stories,.. except for An Gnáthrud... I am looking forward to covering plath.. she seems fun!! :L

Ya.. i read wuthering heights b4 and begged the teacher to do it in english but in our class, us boys dominate against 4 girls i think so she thought we wouldnt "understand" it as such... ;/

For accoutning, it is very strange... there is no real list of what to do and what not to do i think? You just do what you think... This year, we covered : Club/Service/Farm accounts
    Tab accounts
    Incomplete records (all 3)
    Debtors/Creditors Control
    Part of the budgeting course too..

Next year, we hope to cover
    Ratios
    Suspense
    Depreciation/Revaluation
    Other ones too i think! :L

Its an awfully weird course! :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

What are people planning to do studywise starting September? How many hours including homework?

Chuchoter wrote: »
    What are people planning to do studywise starting September? How many hours including homework?
    I'm expecting some crazy remarks when I write this, but i'm planning on doing around 5.5/6 hours a day this year. I know it's quality over quantity but I don't see the point in doing 2 hours of 100% quality on a single topic where you could be getting 70/80% of the info. regarding 4/5 topics in your head!. Then you could build up the remaining 20% of information in class/cramming etc. I did a solid 3.5 hours every day this year and found it quite enjoyable (i'm a huge nerd) and very beneficial!.

I'm the type of person who actually enjoys studying to be honest (that sounds so nerdy) but I don't care it's true! Everyone in my school knows I work that hard, some people think it's crazy and try and make fun of it but I actually don't care! It'll be them missing out when i'm in College having the time of my life and they'll be stuck repeating because they didn't do anything (no disrespect to repeats or anything meant here).

More than likely i'll be pursuing some career in Law/Politics/Business Law which requires a lot of studying anyway so I guess it's a very good basis to have!

Hahah I'm the same, but i'm not going to do that much study.. prob 2 hours a day? But, I am looking forward to going back to school, I'm a bit of a nerd too! :L I do like learning things, but its just the fun of school! And I totaly agree about doing the work this year and then enjoying yourself in college so you wont have to repeat!!! Thats my attitude completely!" :L But i know some people have to repeat without any other choice... My friend has to repeat and its not her fault so I know that not all repeats don't work... But Id still prefer to do more work this year, rather than repeat!

5.5/6 hours? Tell me your secret, how do you not just get hopelessly confused after the 3 hour mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I was thinking three hours in after-school study, and then maybe two more at home. But that would be the most, I think. Or else I'd go mad :)

My estimate of 3 hours is starting to look rather paltry at this moment. Is 5 hours not a hell of a lot for just starting? What will you ramp up to after Christmas/mocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

My estimate of 3 hours is starting to look rather paltry at this moment. Is 5 hours not a hell of a lot for just starting? What will you ramp up to after Christmas/mocks?

Well, it does depend on the quality. If I find I'm not taking anything in after a certain point then I'll stop. I'll probably start off with less and build on it. I'm going to try to start with three hours anyway. My opinion might have changed drastically in a month :P

My current plan is start with 3 hours, do 4.5 or 5 from December until Mocks and then 5/6 thereafter? Then of course there will be the terrible month of May where I'll most likely be stuck doing 7 or 8 :(
    Does that sound ok? Just when I work it out, if I come home at 4.30, eat and start at 5, a lot of the year I'll be studying well up until 11/12/1. I don't want to burn out by November.
    I'm tired even thinking about it :(

Wow, those all seem like lot of time studying! When ye say study.. does that include your time doing homework? I'm going to start with afterschool study (4-6) then if i need to study ( tests or not all homework done) I'll do an hour more. Then come x-mas the extra hour would be compulsary and then after mocks have like 2 hours study etc... Just not up to the break of dawn... I'd stop before 9pm or else you'd burn yourself out too quick! :L

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm including homework. I'll see how it goes. I might split up the longer things by getting up early and doing a bit in the morning and a bit in the evening. Like yourself I don't get much into my brain after 9 but I'll have to fix that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement