Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving Cert and College at 17... too young?

• 14-06-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Right, so I'll be sitting the leaving cert in 2012. I turn 17 in december of this year, meaning I'll be 17 sitting the exams and heading off to college? I'm more worried about being too young going to college than sitting the leaving cert. I didn't do TY, and there's no going back now. I know my school wouldn't let me repeat 4th year because I do fairly well in all my tests and done well in the JC. What are your opinions about going to college at 17? Will going out be a nightmare because of ID and stuff? Will I be at a disadvantage in making friends because a lot of the other people will be 18 or even 19 :O

In terms of courses, I have a lot of ideas :rolleyes: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Science, Accounting and Finance, and Primary teaching are all courses I've been considering.:pac: So what do ye think :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,043 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could consider doing a relevant PLC course for a year. Many people find it a good stepping stone from school to college. If you could live at home you would find it fairly inexpensive.

I agree you could be too young going to college at 17, you will be grateful for the extra year if you delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I know someone who's going to college at the age of 16. He skipped 3rd and 4th year. Mental.

Going out wise, it'll be annoying. But I don't see why 19 year old's wouldn't want to be friends with you just because you're 17.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I don't think you're too young. I know someone who's looking at getting medicine and he's 16! You'll be almost 18, so you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I'm in the same situation, sitting the LC in 2012 at 17, and won't be 18 until March. I considered repeating 5th year but came to the conclusion it would be a waste of time as my grades were all good. Now I'm just worried I'm going to be isolated from my class in college because I might not be able to go on nights out and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Ally7 wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation, sitting the LC in 2012 at 17, and won't be 18 until March. I considered repeating 5th year but came to the conclusion it would be a waste of time as my grades were all good. Now I'm just worried I'm going to be isolated from my class in college because I might not be able to go on nights out and the like.

Good to see someone else in a similar situation. Lately i've been feeling like everybody in the country done TY :pac: anways, what course(s) are you interested in, and where? :cool:

• Advertisement

wooah...where did like the first 3/4 replies disappear to?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

i dont think you're that young to be going to college at all :)

im doing my leaving at 17 also :D

didnt do ty and moved schools in 5th year ( to do chemistry ) and many ppl in my year are 18/19 and i have plenty of friends! no disadvantage to it! its just a number at the end of the day :)

saying that alot of ppl in my year keep saying to me that i should repeat because im "too young" but if you feel mature enough i wouldnt worry about it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Noon_

I'm 17 and will still be 17 going to Uni in London this year :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

wooah...where did like the first 3/4 replies disappear to?
    Rift in the space / time continuum! :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

PJelly wrote: »
    I know someone who's going to college at the age of 16. He skipped 3rd and 4th year. Mental.

Going out wise, it'll be annoying. But I don't see why 19 year old's wouldn't want to be friends with you just because you're 17.
    How the hell do you skip 3rd year?! :eek: imagine...2nd to 5th.

I didnt do TY either, I'll be 17 in college. I'm not worried really, you wont be the only one. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Good to see someone else in a similar situation. Lately i've been feeling like everybody in the country done TY :pac: anways, what course(s) are you interested in, and where? :cool:

So far I'm looking at medicine and dentistry, both UCC, but I'm open to all types of science courses, since it's quite likely I might not get into either! What about yourself? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'll be 17 going to college (18 this October), and I'm doing my LC atm. Not really worried about it at all, age is just a number, not a measure of how "ready" you are for living independently and the rigours of college life. Don't let it be an excuse to stay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I did my Leaving last year and was 17 going to college. I turned 18 in November so I was in college for 2 months before I turned 18.

Honestly, I wish I had have done a PLC for the year so I would be a little older making my decision on courses and colleges and to make it easier going out, but it wasn't too bad. For going out it really depends where abouts you go as different places are stricter on ID etc. You won't be at any disadvantage for making friends due to your age, most people in your course won't ask/care what age you are, age doesn't really matter as much once your in college as there'll be people from 17 to 40/50 in your course.

If you know what you want to do and feel ready to go to college then go for it and don't let your age hold you back. If you're very unsure of what course you want to do and think an extra year could do you some good then I'd say try a PLC for a year about something you think you might like.

Age isn't the most important thing, it's more if you feel your ready or not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

It'll depend more on your course than on your age for making friends within your course. Some are very easy to make friends within, smaller courses with a lot of groupwork, rather than the larger science or arts courses.

About being 17, a lot of the going out is house parties and then onto a club, we had a lot of 17 year olds in my course last year and they managed to fit in just fine. You won't be out of place! And there'll be a super celebration when you do turn 18 and are allowed in! :D

Like others said, if you think it'll bother you being away from home at that time, it might be worth deferring the course if possible and maybe getting a job or something for a year, but if you feel ready to go, theres no reason not to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 swadgirl

Hey I wouldn't worry about only being 17 going into college I have my 1st year of college over me an im only after turining 18. No one really cares what your age is they might comment that your young but you won't be treated any different as for going out with them I was ok as i looked older than I was but didn't get out that often due to my courses workload and early mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Like someone said there's always PLC courses, if you really think that you would be too young. And there's nothing wrong or bad with taking a year out and doing PLC, it might help you to decide if the course that you are applying for is really what you want to do after leaving school...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Started college last year. Going out wise it will be annoying at times but, there should be plenty of house parties as well to keep you occupied until you hit 18!

I started college this year at 20 and I have plenty of friends who are still 17 or just going on 18 this summer. I wouldn't worry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

17 turning 18 in December won't be a big deal at all, I can't see why you'd hold off college just so you can turn 18. You'll have 4 months, not even, till you turn 18. On top of that, where I live most places accept student cards from whatever college you're going to if you want to get into a club or something. There'll be plenty of people the same age as you. :)

Ally7 wrote: »
    So far I'm looking at medicine and dentistry, both UCC, but I'm open to all types of science courses, since it's quite likely I might not get into either! What about yourself? :)

Jesus getting a bit freaky now! If ya look up i'm for medicine or dentistry or science too! haha...i'd be looking for dublin or galway though, Cork is too far away :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I was only 16 starting college, and turned 17 that October. Making friends was not an problem. Going out at the start was a bit of an issue, but you won't be the only person in the same boat. Also, *wink wink* alternative student ID can be obtained, making going out less hassle.
    A little bit of advice I would give if you're heading away from home for college is to stay in digs for your first year. You'll get your meals given to you, which saves a bit of bother. You'll be able to get familiar with the area/things to do, and then you could move in with friends for second year.

• Advertisement

Jesus getting a bit freaky now! If ya look up i'm for medicine or dentistry or science too! haha...i'd be looking for dublin or galway though, Cork is too far away :rolleyes:

Cork is good craic though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

I was only 16 starting college, and turned 17 that October. Making friends was not an problem. Going out at the start was a bit of an issue, but you won't be the only person in the same boat. Also, *wink wink* alternative student ID can be obtained, making going out less hassle.
    A little bit of advice I would give if you're heading away from home for college is to stay in digs for your first year. You'll get your meals given to you, which saves a bit of bother. You'll be able to get familiar with the area/things to do, and then you could move in with friends for second year.
    Yeah I agree, I was 17 for all of first year and turned 18 in September at the start of second year. Definitely won't be the only one in that situation and nobody,other than bouncers and the like, really cares what age you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

If you're mature and level-headed enough to go to class and all the jazz, I'm sure you'll be grand!

One thing can be said about being the little bit younger - you do have the option to repeat.

I'm 19 in October, so repeating just is not an option, in my mind (I did TY though..).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I know a good few people who have turned 17 in the last two months and are all heading to college (hopefully anyway :p) Then I also know a guy who turned 20 during the last week of school. It all depends on your maturity level and how well you can cope with the giant change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I would have been 16 going to college. Took a year out. Wasted it. If you're taking a year out, do something worthwhile. But no, going to college at 17 isn't too young. Taking the year out will make it much more difficult to knuckle down to studying again. Though if you work a ****ty job for the year it might be a good motivator to do some work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

17 is not too young if you personally are prepared for it. A number of people go to college at 17. The only thing is if you know what you actually want to do and are not going to college for the sake of it. If you are undecided, a year working somewhere might be better from a "direction" point of view, whatever about your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

I did my leaving when I had just turned 17, I was actually the youngest person in my whole college :L Didn't make any difference at all and they even put down that I was 18 on my college card so I could go out! Happy days :L

Kitty_Ears wrote: »
    I did my leaving when I had just turned 17, I was actually the youngest person in my whole college :L Didn't make any difference at all and they even put down that I was 18 on my college card so I could go out! Happy days :L
    What college was that!? That's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I think there are two points that have been raised here that are quite important in answering the posed question.

In relation to the club idea and problems with ID, I feel that was that will hinder the amount of friends that you make. I have just finished 1st year in College and I can honestly say that in the clubs is where you make most of your friends. Classes generally do a lot of nights-out. They are a good laugh and hey! that is what college is all about, enjoying the experience.

Another point to go over is that you can never be too young or too old for college. There are people in my course (Engineering - TCD) who are both younger and older than your average 19 year old. There are guys there who are 17 like yourself and some others who are in their mid 40's. So in that respect you wouldn't feel out of place.

All in all I would advise you to either take a year out (go and enjoy your new found freedom and independence with a Euro-rail trip) or if that isn't your thing then go and do a 1 year PLC course in the subject of your choice.

At the end of the day, you can never have too many qualifications! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I don't think you're too young. I know someone who's looking at getting medicine and he's 16! You'll be almost 18, so you'll be fine.

LOLS. I think the 16yo everyone's talking about is the same. would his initials be GT. CTYIzens forever. :)

Also OP, I just turned 17last week, hoping to head off to trinity in spetember. :)

will be 17for the whole first year, doesn't bother me. :)

Advertisement