Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People that clap on Planes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Caliden wrote:
    I'm going to clap twice as hard anymore now because I know it annoys people.

Bad grammar doesn't annoy me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

zuutroy wrote:
    Bad grammar doesn't annoy me. :D

Freak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I luv ppl who use txt spk. It dusn't anoy me @ all.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

If someone clapped when i landed i wouldnt hesitate to tell them to shut the f*ck up. And every single pilot that i know agrees with me on this point. And yes i am a pilot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Thought the exact same thing as i got off the plane the other night.....some people have no lives! lol wanted to deck the idiots who were wasting their time clapping rather than gathering their stuff and getting the hell off the plane!!

Agree, go ahead and get one. What about the morons with the suitcase in the overhead bin or the thunderbird guys with their PDAs and laptoppies, travelling nonstop and often for peanuts.

Get a life indeed and show some respect. Travelling can be fun, ie especially without the assholes going nowhere fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

flogen wrote:
    I usually thank the bus driver or taxi driver when getting out - I know I'm saying "thanks for taking my money while you do your job" but unless they're assholes (or did something wrong, like make a big deal about giving me my change) a thank you costs nothing.

I also thank the cabin crew when exiting a plane and if the pilot was standing there I'd thank him/her too. I don't applaud, though, and wouldn't unless the pilot had done something amazing.

Applause and 'thanks' are two very different things. I say thanks all the time. I often use it to thank people for doing their job as they're supposed to - like the way I say thanks to the cashier for giving me my change back, or handing me the item I've just bought.

If they do something amazing I'd say something else, like 'you've been a great help', 'I really appreciate that' or whatever. Clapping would be the hand-based equivalent of that if speech is, for whatever reason, impossible.

No doubt a plane is 100 times harder to operate than a car but that doesn't make it an achievement for the pilot to do something s/he's trained for and paid for no more than it's an achievement for the bus driver to do similar.

If the pilot overcomes a serious problem and gets us to our destination in one piece I'd applaud - I'd probably dance a little too. If I was on a bus into town and the bus driver avoided a similar, land-based disaster I'd applaud them too.

As for people applauding in cinemas, I don't think they're applauding the projectionist, I think they're applauding the film. Now that's stupid.

Agree, but obviously it's painful for some bozos without an iota of common understanding or courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

flogen wrote:
    I usually thank the bus driver or taxi driver when getting out - I know I'm saying "thanks for taking my money while you do your job" but unless they're assholes (or did something wrong, like make a big deal about giving me my change) a thank you costs nothing.

I also thank the cabin crew when exiting a plane and if the pilot was standing there I'd thank him/her too. I don't applaud, though, and wouldn't unless the pilot had done something amazing.

Applause and 'thanks' are two very different things. I say thanks all the time. I often use it to thank people for doing their job as they're supposed to - like the way I say thanks to the cashier for giving me my change back, or handing me the item I've just bought.

If they do something amazing I'd say something else, like 'you've been a great help', 'I really appreciate that' or whatever. Clapping would be the hand-based equivalent of that if speech is, for whatever reason, impossible.

No doubt a plane is 100 times harder to operate than a car but that doesn't make it an achievement for the pilot to do something s/he's trained for and paid for no more than it's an achievement for the bus driver to do similar.

If the pilot overcomes a serious problem and gets us to our destination in one piece I'd applaud - I'd probably dance a little too. If I was on a bus into town and the bus driver avoided a similar, land-based disaster I'd applaud them too.

As for people applauding in cinemas, I don't think they're applauding the projectionist, I think they're applauding the film. Now that's stupid.

Same for me. I always thank the people who have done their job for me, and if they've happened to do something spectacular I'll show a little more appreciation.

Pilot presses "AutoPilot off", plane taxis in and the passengers erupt into wild celebrations. Kidding ;)

Myth wrote:
    Yep, what dublindude said.

OP, next time you're on a plane boo when the plane successfully lands and see how far that gets you!

I would prefer that if i was flying tbh. It would make me laugh, then i would tell them to stfu. We dont want ppl clapping just for landing!

electric69 wrote:
    If someone clapped when i landed i wouldnt hesitate to tell them to shut the f*ck up. And every single pilot that i know agrees with me on this point. And yes i am a pilot also.

I enjoy annoying people so I'll do it! Hell I'll do it for a successful takeoff!

off topic: Is it just me or do pilots always let you know they're a pilot within the first 30 seconds of meeting them? This is arrising from meeting a friend of a friend over the weekend who made sure everyone knew he was a pilot and also visiting this thread. You don't see me going around saying "I'm an Engineer! Watch out, that steel column looks unsafe!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah I think it's strange alright...although on school tour flights I'm the first to take the piss and clap the hardest, whistle and shout "whoooo" :p just for the laugh

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you want to try flighing with air jamaica, there is cheering, clapping a little sing song - mental

and as for american airplanes to haiti- its like a fecking zoo when they land and then you get out on the runway and there is a traditional band all dressed up playing music, you would think you were going to a holiday spot not the most unstable warzone in the world - all very bizzare

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It wrecks my girlfriends head so I also start one just to see her face always good for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

irishbird wrote:
    you want to try flighing with air jamaica, there is cheering, clapping a little sing song - mental

and as for american airplanes to haiti- its like a fecking zoo when they land and then you get out on the runway and there is a traditional band all dressed up playing music, you would think you were going to a holiday spot not the most unstable warzone in the world - all very bizzare
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

yeah, had my first direct flight to Dubai and everyone clapped on landing, was well weird

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Everyone cheers the hero on, and even a few boos for the bad guy.
    And it wasnt from young uns or teenagers.
    It ruins the film

When they re-relased the Star Wars trilogy, I made sure to be there on opening night in the Savoy. It's kindof like Rocky Horror: People throwing stuff at Darth Vader, cheering when Executor was destroyed, yelling "Jump, Luke!!!" and laughing uproariously at "I have felt him"

Made the overall experience far more fun.
    Has anyone noticed how Ryanair are always 15 mins ahead of schedule. I'm convinced that they always add 15/20 to the predicted flight time, so when they get there 'ahead' of schedule (ie on time)

You're not the only one. Local news station had a similar article and pointed out that though airplanes are capable of cruising faster than 30 years ago, flight times have expanded. There are two reasons for it. One is so that they have a buffer zone, and won't affect their 'on time' rating.

The other, slightly more acceptable, is that ramp space is increasingly congested, and gates only become available for short times. If you have a 'fast' scheduled flight time, but leave late because some plonker was in Duty Free looking for his smokes and forgot to board, you may find when you get there that the gate has been taken up. That adds a delay, which snowballs onto the next flight that aircraft is scheduled to take, and so on.

Then again, who are we to complain? The train from Dublin to Sligo was faster a hundred years ago.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Caliden wrote:
    off topic: Is it just me or do pilots always let you know they're a pilot within the first 30 seconds of meeting them? This is arrising from meeting a friend of a friend over the weekend who made sure everyone knew he was a pilot and also visiting this thread. You don't see me going around saying "I'm an Engineer! Watch out, that steel column looks unsafe!"

lol!

Its the engineers and the programmers who should be pompous, they are the ones who really make the magic happen...

The pilots are really only glorified bus drivers!*

*Sits back and gets out the popcorn and wankbox...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Old joke.

"How do you know if there's a pilot in the room?"
    "He'll tell you"

Speaking of audience participation, we once had a flight where the entire cargo (i.e. all the passengers) spontaneously did the hand movements during the safety brief. The poor stewardess cracked up.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

roughan wrote:
    so the next time im in a taxi which is statistically far more likely to crash i should break out in applause ???

You should save the applause for when they charge you the correct amount. I'm still waiting.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Orange69 wrote:
    lol!

Its the engineers and the programmers who should be pompous, they are the ones who really make the magic happen...

The pilots are really only glorified bus drivers!*

*Sits back and gets out the popcorn and wankbox...

But we don't get fancy uniforms.

"Oh haha silly me, I like totally forgot to change out of my pilots uniform before heading to the pub, oh well"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Moanie Moanie MOAN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

boreds wrote:
    Not as bad as people applauding the projectionist in the cinema.
    wtf no one does that..

if anything the appluase is for the film not the ****ing projectionist

DRakE wrote:
    wtf no one does that..

if anything the appluase is for the film not the ****ing projectionist

Or the fact that the 20 minutes of trailers are finally over.

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR......

Caliden wrote:
    But we don't get fancy uniforms.

"Oh haha silly me, I like totally forgot to change out of my pilots uniform before heading to the pub, oh well"

happens more than you would think!!

I find that it really repells the chicks aswel!:rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

roughan wrote:
    why on earth do people clap when a plane lands ?
    Usually it's because the engine is on fire.

electric69 wrote:
    happens more than you would think!!

I find that it really repells the chicks aswel!:rolleyes: :p

It's probably the penis shaped object instead of a head that repels them to be honest. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

You don't applaud someone at a cafe when they bring a Coffee to your table.
    You don't ring up RTE and applaud after a really great episode of Fair City (something I have yet to see!).
    Who said pilots should be treated differently?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Now, in this sort of situation, I wouldnt mind clapping:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umvR2X5Dmh8

Plane lands on one wheel, in crosswind. Thats a good pilot.
    eh, he completely f**ked that up and then recovered it. He's human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Spook_ie wrote:
    Maybe instead of clapping next time. you should pass the hat around. Even more so if they are based in Belfast :rolleyes:

ruined my hoiliday that did.....
    changed my flights when i heard about the strike, now i lost 3 days on my holiday and still had to pay for car and hotel. :(

on topic, ive heard it a few times... kind of helpful as it wakes me up :)

Caliden wrote:
    It's probably the penis shaped object instead of a head that repels them to be honest. :rolleyes:

you job must suck!ha

Unlucky

• Advertisement

electric69 wrote:
    you job must suck!ha

Unlucky

How'd you come to that genius conclusion?

Advertisement