Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a commercial vehicle into Ireland - 14 easy steps!

• 09-04-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭rochestown

I have just gone through the process of importing a commercial Nissan Navara Crewcab into Ireland from the UK and i found the process extremely difficult and frustrating so i have decided to put down a checklist for anyone out there who wants to go through the same process... hope this helps someone:-

1. Find the Car online and arrange an independent vehicle Inspection.
    2. Book flights and load up your credit card - the garage that i bought from charged me 1.5% commission to use the card, i couldn't use bankers draft or credit transfer due to the 3-4 days clearance time.
    3. Book the ferry and make sure you put the REG number of the car on the booking receipt you will need this proof later for your VRT!
    4. Fly to the UK and do a test drive - pay for car making sure you get a:-
    - UK Log Book
    - Vat Receipt
    - MOT Certificate of Pass!
    - Vehicle Inspection report .
    5. Drive the car to Ferry - this took me 6 hours from London city to Holyhead.
    6. When you get back to Ireland, ring the NCT Centre to book in for a VRT inspection - when you book in they will send you a list of documents required and advise the specific centres that do the VRT - make sure you have the company headed paper signed by the Company Director and Secretary (i was missing this and had to go back) they will also advise the figure that is owed - they will only accept a bankers draft or Credit Card with a 2.5% commission - i went back the next day with a draft! The inspection took about 1hr.
    7. On receipt of the VRT payment you will be issued with a reg number and they will print the plates for you for €25.
    8. When you have your plates you need to book a DOE for testing - as of late last year you are now issued with a DOE disk to be displayed and on passing the DOE you will be given 6 a month cert (apparently you ring up the Shannon DOE department and they will issue a 12 month cert if they get a call from you but i am yet to get this myself).
    9. You will now need to get the car weighed at a weighbridge, there are certain companies only accepted by the Motor Tax office one is Roadstone and i could only find two locations in Dublin both are on the Northside - Finglas and Sanrtry -- i booked into Roadstone in Finglas (018581680) on the Old North road - my GPS brought me to the North road but it was the wrong one (its mapped quite badly) - if you are going Northbound on the M50 take the exit number 5 for Finglas and keep to the left heading for the N2 then you take you next left and left again for 'Coldwinters'.
    10. When you get to the Weighbridge they will charge you €30 and its CASH only!! No Credit Cards of Cheques accepted!
    11. You will be issued with a receipt and weight document.
    12. When you have this document you can fill out the RF100 and RF111A form (this one needs to be stamped by a Garda station) with these two documents you can go to the Motor Tax office (i had done this in advance and was able to go direct to the tax office)
    13. I went to the Ballymun Tax office it in the Civic Building in Ballymun - i parked the car and was in and out of the tax office with my new tax disk in 10 minutes - unreal efficiency in there!
    14. Two days later i received my DOE or CVRT disk and i was all ready to go!

The best of luck in this process i found it very trying and the lady in the motor tax office agreed with me that the powers that be clearly don't want you importing vehicles on your own and if they did it would be much easier!

Best of luck...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

very helpfull post. thanks

• No.2 why not cash and save yourself the 1.5%?

Why no.6? You don't need to prove any business use etc for vrt at commercial rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Roost

No.2 why not cash and save yourself the 1.5%?

Why no.6? You don't need to prove any business use etc for vrt at commercial rates.

It depends if you register the vehicle with in one persons name or a company name. Your are right in what you say But if in the case of a company . You will need to bring the bill headed paper with VAT number on it.
    Its pretty clear on the forms NCT will link to you after you book in for inspection .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

What's a doe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Its the old name for CVRT thread is 2 years old no Ballymun tax office anymore either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement