Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Graduate Visa

• 18-02-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm graduating shortly and was looking into applying for the graduate US visa program.

I'm just wondering has anyone that has been on one got any advice?

I'm wondering how strict the sponsors are about getting a job in your own field and how much competition there are for jobs? (I will be a zoology graduate).

I was also wondering what people who went on their own did about accomodation? Did you start off in a hostel and meet people or has anyone any recommendations about what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I've been on it twice so feel free to ask anything. The sponsors are quite strict on the job itself. Sometimes you can craft the paperwork to emphasize your degree more in a job that may not necessarily be a direct link to your education, but I wouldn't go overboard. Just try to find a company/position somewhat relevant.

Since you're over for an entire year, it should be easier to find accomodation (vs a few months). Most places will require a 1 year lease. You can try to arrange it before you go, via craigslist.org or something, but you must be cautious. Also, you might want to actually look at places before signing a 1 year lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 swillz

Cool, where abouts did you go? I'm thinking Florida or California...

They seem to want you to have an actual internship, is that more difficult to find? And for the accomodation would you advise just looking for a spare room in an apartment or house with people? I'm thinking I might stay in a hostel for a week or so and find somewhere when I'm out there so I can actually view the places?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cloxie

Hey... I'm thinking of heading out on the year visa too... Swillz have you found any more out about getting an internship and accommodation etc.? I've emailed a few places but haven't heard anything back. I also came across internships.com which might help you somewhat?

I haven't found out much more to be honest. Been looking online a bit but it's all so overwhelming haha! Focusing on saving up at the moment so that I can go and still looking online for internships etc although a lot seem to want experience which I don't have much of because I don't graduate until September.

Thanks for the website link! I'm thinking maybe craigs list is the way to go for accommodation but obviously you have to be careful with that...

Ya.. what are ya graduating in? I have psychology and primary teaching and I don't think I'm allowed to work directly with people so I'm very limited as to what I can do! I'm thinking California by the way... Get away to the sun!

• Advertisement

Zoology... it's looking quite tricky to get paid work with no experience but I think I'm still gonna give it a go and even if I don't get something before I go maybe when I'm over there. Cali is amazing! I was in San Diego on a j1 last year and it's fantastic, I'd definitely recommend it! Yea I don't think you can work directly with people but if you got something along the same lines you could relate it back maybe??

Ya... It's annoying... emailing places saying I want a job but I have so many limitations... Ya I was in Huntington Beach on mine... Loved it! Oh ya... You'll have to go to San Diego Zoo!

When do you intend on going? Haha yea, a lot of competition for that though!

June I'd say... You?

Aiming for next January I hope!

• Advertisement

I'll have it all sown up for ya!

Haha yea, let me know how you get on and any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!!

Advertisement