Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish army is fighting in Afghanistan

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

neilled wrote: »
    Happyman, the term mercenary is quite clearly explained by lemming earlier in the thread. Definitions of the accepted usage are those as defined by the ICRC and the UN through the protocols of the Geneva Convention and the convention on Mercenaries.

Those who are at the sharp end of international relations ie soldiers use those definitions to define who is and isn't a mercenary and treat them accordingly. Similarly those in the legal profession who are involved in dealing with warcrimes, crimes against humanity etc also use the same definitions do define who is a mercenary.

It might be noted that the concept of the nation state and its standing army is rather new - in the majority of recorded history, soldiers were raised by the sovereign for a particular campaign from whereever they might be from and disbanded thereafter. Lets take the french for example - right up until the 16th century the most common language in france wasn't actually french. it was only when the monarch began centralizing power so the state could collect tax more efficiently that the modern nation state began to form - latter these would create a collective memory or narrative of history outlining where the people that inhabited a particular state came from.

Skipping back a bit further, in the aftermath of the 100 years war and the demobilisations that followed it, the soldiers left unemployed formed the "Free Companies" - where we got the term Company from and hired themselves to any power looking for their services. Other historically famous groups included the "Black Band" and the various swiss regiments of pikemen. These were mercenaries in the classic sense - they arrived pretrained, with their own arms and equipment and command structure and fought alongside the forces raised by whoever might be able to afford them for the duration of a specific contract.

Similarly, PMC's today are armed and equipped by themselves with their own command structures and for a specific duration. An example of this would be Blackwater/XE or Custer Battles who were PMC's (all american) who carried out specific military taskings on behalf of the US in the aftermath of the Iraq war. They were not of another nationality - they were the same nationality as those they were fighting alongside.

A X National who voluntarily enlists in the PDF taking an oath to be "faithful to Ireland and loyal to the Constitution" does not meet the criteria of a mercenary, similarly this would not apply to other countries either.

As stated earlier, the definitions who what constitutes a mercenary are well defined and used by those who are dealing at the sharp end (that where lead and other high velocity projectiles fly) of international relations and will continue to be the ones used in the "real world."

No amount of primordial nonsense about place of birth will change that.

Already dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Ha!

Does that have some special meaning in the military too?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Already dealt with.

I'm afraid you didn't. Your ethno nationalist garble that relies on someone to be from a particular place of birth and serve in forces in the state in which they were born in order not to be classified as a mercenary holds no sway outside internet, no matter how much you might wish and know "deep in your heart of hearts" that your incredibly simplistic views are correct. It might be worth noting that many of the borders of the world are relatively new and have continued to change with the creation of new states.

It might also be worth noting for the context of this discussion that the UK is not a unitary nation state. Rather the title rather gives it away but many people who come from a unitary nation state like the Republic of Ireland fail to grasp this concept - it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain (Consisting of England, Scotland, Wales) and Northern Ireland. Each of these is considered its own nationality within the UK , thus the term "Irish Soldier" or "Northern Irish Soldier" could be quite legitimately used when referring to soldiers serving in those Regiments that have an Irish or partially Irish identity - ie The R Irish, RDG, IG etc. A different type of Irishman than the simplistic criterion laid down by ethno nationalists, but Irishmen nontheless - even when they do get a bit wound up about admitting it.

neilled wrote: »
    I'm afraid you didn't. Your ethno nationalist garble that relies on someone to be from a particular place of birth and serve in forces in the state in which they were born in order not to be classified as a mercenary holds no sway outside internet, no matter how much you might wish and know "deep in your heart of hearts" that your incredibly simplistic views are correct. It might be worth noting that many of the borders of the world are relatively new and have continued to change with the creation of new states.

It might also be worth noting for the context of this discussion that the UK is not a unitary nation state. Rather the title rather gives it away but many people who come from a unitary nation state like the Republic of Ireland fail to grasp this concept - it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain (Consisting of England, Scotland, Wales) and Northern Ireland. Each of these is considered its own nationality within the UK , thus the term "Irish Soldier" or "Northern Irish Soldier" could be quite legitimately used when referring to soldiers serving in those Regiments that have an Irish or partially Irish identity - ie The R Irish, RDG, IG etc. A different type of Irishman than the simplistic criterion laid down by ethno nationalists, but Irishmen nontheless - even when they do get a bit wound up about admitting it.
    A few other words that have general meanings out here in the real world;
    'General'
    'Corporal'
    'Private'
    'Tank'
    '
    The fact that the military have 'specific'' essentially private meanings and uses for those words does NOT change their general meaning in this corporal world....Tanks very much! .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Whats up with people problems about him being in the British army? The article clearly states he tried to join the Irish army but was not able to join due to asthma as a kid. Are loss is the British army's gain.

As the proud son of an Irish born officer of the British army i've had to deal with listening to people sh1te on for years. Its pathetic.

You should be ashamed of your son joining an aggressive imperialist army that kills civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Jasus lads - Calm down!

This bloke first and foremost wanted to be a soldier.
    He tried the Irish Army, they turned him down.
    He still wanted to be a soldier.
    He tried the British Army, they took him.
    I'm sure if they had tuned him down he would be in the U.S Army at this stage.

Give up the old shoite about the Brits being out oppressors, you are showing your ignorance. The rich oppress the poor, while we were all being told to feck off to Connaught, at the same time the poor and defenceless masses in the UK were being sent down mines at 10 years old or working in mills 12 hours a day at 8 years old.
    The Brits didn't oppress the Irish - Rich oppressed poor - it's the same the world over and right through history. It suits the rich for your small mind to think that it's a national thing, or a sectarian thing, it keeps you busy elsewhere and lets them continue to make money on the backs of the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Canvasser wrote: »
    You should be ashamed of your son joining an aggressive imperialist army that kills civilians.

First off, it's my dad. Secondly, I know in what capacity he served and thirdly, who are you to tell me if I can take pride in my father's service record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    First off, it's my dad. Secondly, I know in what capacity he served and thirdly, who are you too tell me if I can take pride in my father's service record.

I wouldn't even let that post worry you, he managed to get himself into a fit of hysterics so bad that he couldn't even read your post properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

mattjack wrote: »
    I wouldn't even let that post worry you, he managed to get himself into a fit of hysterics so bad that he couldn't even read your post properly.

It doesnt bother me tbh, i just felt I had to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

stoneill wrote: »
    Jasus lads - Calm down!

This bloke first and foremost wanted to be a soldier.
    He tried the Irish Army, they turned him down.
    He still wanted to be a soldier.
    He tried the British Army, they took him.
    I'm sure if they had tuned him down he would be in the U.S Army at this stage.

Give up the old shoite about the Brits being out oppressors, you are showing your ignorance. The rich oppress the poor, while we were all being told to feck off to Connaught, at the same time the poor and defenceless masses in the UK were being sent down mines at 10 years old or working in mills 12 hours a day at 8 years old.
    The Brits didn't oppress the Irish - Rich oppressed poor - it's the same the world over and right through history. It suits the rich for your small mind to think that it's a national thing, or a sectarian thing, it keeps you busy elsewhere and lets them continue to make money on the backs of the poor.

And the rich use the British Army and other brutes to oppress the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Dear Mr Canvasser - you are beginning to rave.

How tiresome.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]Canvasser, you've been back all of three days from your three-week ban. Can you give me any good reason at all for not now imposing a one-month ban for baiting and otherwise antagonising a member? Infraction[/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thebigfella1

This post has gone on for pages on the defination of a mercenary. In my opinion people serve in there army for 3 reasons:
    1) Pride in the flag (this shouldn't be forgotten because there is no feeling like being on the square when the flag is lifted with a Bn)
    2) A want to soldier (which this young man has definatly shown)
    3) Reward (money)

If for example Ireland was invaded tomorrow, I guarantee there would be a guerilla force of 100,000 within weeks. In other words any 2 of the above will do for a soldier.

I have no doubt that this fella would jump at the chance to switch the flag on the uniform. But until he is offered the fault is not at his door.

I for one am proud he is Irish.

Up until WW1! 2/3 of the medal of honours issued in the american army where to people of Irish claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

5 months it took you to spam a thread with provo nonsense from wiki. Is your life that empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    The Irish army is not fighting in afganistan. Its a tipp man who wanted to be an Irish solider but didn't get in because she suffered with asthma as a child. So he moved to the UK and joined their army to get some real action. He is not the only Irish man in the british army their is thousands of us.

It's nothing to be proud of! You're basically a mercenary for imperialism and NATO terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Don't know if this is who you are thinking about but Robert McKibben from Westport was KIA and the band of the Royal Marines played at his funeral in Westport, another Irish hero.

What are you blathering about? What did he do to make him a hero? He fought in a foreign imperialist conquest and died. He was stupid. If he stayed home he'd still be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Blay wrote: »
    The PDF actually are in Afghanistan as part of ISAF.

All seven (7) of them?

http://www.isaf.nato.int/images/stories/File/20131014_131001-ISAF-Placemat.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

old_aussie wrote: »

Bit late with that reply wouldn't ya say?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    The Irish army is not fighting in afganistan. Its a tipp man who wanted to be an Irish solider but didn't get in because she suffered with asthma as a child. So he moved to the UK and joined their army to get some real action. He is not the only Irish man in the british army their is thousands of us.

That this illiterate garbage gets 20 likes is symptomatic of the calibre around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

My advice to those who are unhappy about Irish people joining the British Armed Forces - if you don't like the post, ignore it, like I try and do most of the time. Abusing the poster, as far as I know, is still not a part of this forum, unless things have changed here.

Of course, the list of Irishmen who joined American forces since the revolution is nigh-on endless. Howsabout picking on some of them, and give the British Army a break for a while. Y'know, extend the old hate horizons?? Share the hate around a bit? I'm sure you get the idea. ;)

tac

ConorR32 wrote: »
    What are you blathering about? What did he do to make him a hero? He fought in a foreign imperialist conquest and died. He was stupid. If he stayed home he'd still be alive.

A little political discourse. is well and good. Immature insults not so much.

In any case, I have no idea why this thread has been resurrected. Locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement