Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should there be a Political Moratorium on Boards.ie from 14:00 today?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I was thinking, since most of the media are doing it, and boards.ie is technically a form of media (albeit social media), then should the political moratorium be extended here too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wellsir

it shouldn't be in place at all if you ask me.
    Whats the logic behind it.
    Have we move to commy russia for 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think that this was thrashed out during previous elections and it was determined by someone that boards.ie doesn't count as a form of media in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

cornbb wrote: »
    I think that this was thrashed out during previous elections and it was determined by someone that boards.ie doesn't count as a form of media in this case.

I would agree with that ,it's more like a collection of opinions from the general public rather than a media outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I would agree with that ,it's more like a collection of opinions from the general public rather than a media outlet.

whiule I agree I do think that, in future, social networking and internet fora will be more and more influential and may well come under scrutiny in this regard.

If political discussion can freely take place on twitter I see little point in banning it on tv or radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Riskymove wrote: »
    whiule I agree I do think that, in future, social networking and internet fora will be more and more influential and may well come under scrutiny in this regard.

If political discussion can freely take place on twitter I see little point in banning it on tv or radio

TV and Radio have paid reporters with their agenda ,be it good or bad ,to ban it on twitter ,boards or any other social media outlet would be effectively banning freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

TV and Radio have paid reporters with their agenda ,be it good or bad ,to ban it on twitter ,boards or any other social media outlet would be effectively banning freedom of speech.

er...isn't banning it on radio and tv, regardless of agendas, just banning freedom of speech too?

plenty of paid people with agendas are free to continue to state them on print media, twitter etc

what is the difference?

We don't have freedom of speech laws in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Papa Smut wrote: »
    We don't have freedom of speech laws in Ireland...

From Article 40.6.1 of the Constitution:

6. 1° The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the following rights, subject to public order and morality:

i. The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.

• Advertisement

When you subject freedom to restrictions, it's not freedom.

6. 1° The State guarantees liberty for the exercise of the following rights, subject to public order and morality:

i. The right of the citizens to express freely their convictions and opinions.

Blasphemy law anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

1. We shouldn't.
    2. We won't.

I've little doubt that, as time goes on, the existing moratorium will be examined with regard to the Internet but the net result is likely to be the abandonment of the existing moratorium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

No, definitely not, it'll be interesting to see the information trickle in online.

More accurate than FF State Radio and Newspaper. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The moratorium is a form of censorship. I noticed it has been reduced and only starts at 2pm the day before voting, it was midnight on previous occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭swine

Can anyone explain to me what the point of the moratorium is?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

I was thinking, since most of the media are doing it, and boards.ie is technically a form of media (albeit social media), then should the political moratorium be extended here too?

I wouldn't consider boards.ie a media provider. It's a public forum for people to express their opinions and exchange views.

Its no different than a group of people meeting up for a coffee and discussing politics, and anything else you could possibly think of.

Heck the original boards.ie started out as a forum for the Irish Quake community!

It would be impossible to impose the ban anyway. A site could be moved in terms of hosting from one country to another and hence a different set of laws would apply. You got to love the freedom of the internet! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

It's supposed to be a time for you to think about your vote without the media putting it in your face! That's what it was created for anywho
    swine wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me what the point of the moratorium is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Papa Smut wrote: »
    When you subject freedom to restrictions, it's not freedom

Reminds me of GW Bush's classic line "There ought to be limits to freedom".

No not at all. I don't understand why there's even a media moratorium. Makes no sense to me.

You got to love the freedom of the internet! :)

Don't worry I'm sure the freedom of the internet will come under political and legal attack one of these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Let there be no "political moratorium" for boards.ie before the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

Why are parties allowed to canvass today(the knock came to my door),
    yet the media have to stay quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

As far as I know, canvassing is still allowed.

There are arguments for and against it. There are rules on exit polls as well. No indication can be given until the polls close.

In the USA, they have a crazy situation where exit poll results can be released from the East Coast while polls are still open in the West Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

It's supposed to be a time for you to think about your vote without the media putting it in your face! That's what it was created for anywho

I thought it was to prevent people putting out statements like 'Enda Kenny beats his wife' just before polling, where there wouldn't be sufficient time for him to refute it.

Edit: Like this I've just spotted in AH
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70845978&postcount=1

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Freedom is a somewhat over-rated notion anyway, IMO - though perhaps that's a debate for another day.

Advertisement