Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance

• 13-11-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi im thinking of getting pet insurance with allianz would people recommend getting insurance for a puppy? i was looking at there website seems to be alot of things they dont cover for.But at the same time i think id be happier to insure him especialy while he is a pup i feel he could eat anything and there is a stronger possiblity of him needing operation imop.:eek:(hopefully this wont happen!!)
    Alot of people are telling me im mad to get insurance and are putting me off!!
    Any info would be appreciated
    Thanks;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would highly recommend pet insurance, i wouldnt be without it now for my dog.

If your dog gets very sick and needs an op it can cost hundreds, where as if you are insured you only pay for the first 75 i think so its well worth it.

They dont cover routine things like vaccinations or spays/neutering but most other illnesses are covered so i would get it straight away.

Ive had insurance for my fella since he was a pup and its paid for itself several times over. Its a piece of mind for about 15-24 euro a month depending on the breed of dog.
    Some breeds are in a higher risk category (like mine:o) so are a little bit more expensive. Think mine is 24.99 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

No offence but the people who are telling you you are mad -- are mad themselves. IF anything happened your pup or something developed that needed treatment or an op it would cost you a fortune.

You really really should get insurance, I feel it's worth it.
    I'm with Allianz and they cover a good bit (not sure of the exacts) and there's a 75euro excess but if something needed to be done, 75 wouldn't be a lot in comparision to the overall bill.

You can ring up the different places, ask what they cover and see which you feel suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

We've had Insurance on two dogs for about 5 years and in both cases needed to use cover for veterinary expenses. As you said the pup could eat anything, or worse may develop a condition due to its breeding (both conditions we have experienced). The fact that you're covered for about €200 a year and any problem that may set you back €600.00 or more is enough to warrant taking out insurance. You are also covered for loss, in case they bite someone and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Good summary of what is available from this earlier thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055726333

If you can afford the Pet Insurance then definitely you should have it, vet bills can be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Not getting pet insurance is mad, mad I tell you. If your little guy needsan operation then you could be looking at a few grand and if you don't have it say goodbye time. Even if you did have the money and had to spend it you'd never forgive yourself for not taking it out.

I'm an insurance broker and have gone through all the policies i could get, and without a shadow of a doubt Allianz's cover is the most comprehensive. Buy online you can save about €20.

Also take it out asap incase you dog develops any condition, as they won't cover any pre existing condition ie: any condition that your dog had prior to the inception of the policy.

Also you can pay month on month intrest free forever, which is good in this day and age, don't miss a payment though. Thats how they'll get you!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

We have allianz pet insurance and are very glad we got it before the pup was ill. He had kennel cough and was very sick, they thought he may have ate plastic and wanted to open him up. Fortunatly turned out to be a reaction to the antibiotic. Finished his antibiotic last week and started coughing again now back on antibiotics for another 2 weeks.
    He stayed a total of 3 nights in the vets. We got a bill after the first 2 and it was €410. not counting another day and night with the vet and 3 lots of tablets.
    His insurance was €230 for the year or €16 a month. WELL WORTH IT.
    Also the €75 excess is per illness, we orginally thought it was per visit.
    Our vet was also happy to send claim form off and wait for allianz to pay them rather than us having to pay and wait for a cheque which was a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

Thanks for all the info.that settles it I'm defo goin to get the insurance.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

can i ask do you have to be registered with one vet or can you use any ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

I just took the Allianz online. It was approx €210.... Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

A lot of people seem to be going with Allianz. When I compared prices 123.ie was the cheapest, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

namurt wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be going with Allianz. When I compared prices 123.ie was the cheapest, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going with them.

For me they were about €15 cheaper but you didnt get as much 'bang for your buck' if someting went wrong. Compare the entitlements and I think Allianz are much better.

You should read the posts first. See my above post. I have gone through all coverage from the various policies, and Allianz are head and shoulder above the rest for coverage. Worth that little bit more. You can also higher your excess with Allianz in order to bring down the annual premium. Although €75 is what i went for.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

funkyjebus wrote: »
    You should read the posts first. See my above post. I have gone through all coverage from the various policies, and Allianz are head and shoulder above the rest for coverage. Worth that little bit more. You can also higher your excess with Allianz in order to bring down the annual premium. Although €75 is what i went for.

I did read the posts. There's no need to be so ignorant about it. The point of this is to share experiences and I was merely asking if anyone had any experience with 123.ie. Just because Allianz is right for you doesn't mean that everyone requires the same type of cover so different experiences are all valid.

I did read the posts. There's no need to be so ignorant about it. The point of this is to share experiences and I was merely asking if anyone had any experience with 123.ie. Just because Allianz is right for you doesn't mean that everyone requires the same type of cover so different experiences are all valid.

Ignorant?? You seem confused, your the ignorant one, I'm arrogant, big big difference.

And if I'm arrogant, there's a reason, I'm probably the most qualified person who has commented so far. My day to day job is to know how to interpret policy wordings and offer my professional opinion based on my knowledge of all underwriters in Ireland, which is far better than other people exp. Allianz cover the widest most comprehensive cover available, and all for a still competitive price, there claim handling is probably the best in Ireland.

A quick layman's look would show off how good Allianz's cover is, Vet fees per illness is 4.5k for Allianz, and only 2.5k for 123.ie. Come on, have a little cop on. Most major injuries / surgery (which is the point of per Ins, they're the bills you can never afford) will cost over or around the 2.5k. But by all means say 10 or 20 Euro per year, for half the coverage.

Actually come to think of it go on, go with 123.ie and pm me when you need to claim, so I can laugh in your face.

;)

Oi - less of the insults people and have some cop on

OP you ring around and go with whoever *you* feel you want to. People here are only giving their advice or who they are with, end of the day the choice is yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kd20

I recommend pet insurance, when I was taking out mine Allianz was the only insurer that did pet insurance now there is a few of them. its peace of mind, my lab had a very bad bacterial skin infection or hot spots as the vet called it he got it twice in the space of 3mths his antibiotics and creams all came to €160, the excess was 60 so I got €100 back from allianz, Im glad I have pet insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Ignorant?? You seem confused, your the ignorant one, I'm arrogant, big big difference.

And if I'm arrogant, there's a reason, I'm probably the most qualified person who has commented so far.

Actually come to think of it go on, go with 123.ie and pm me when you need to claim, so I can laugh in your face.

;)

You really are an arrogant little sod ain't ya!
    But that would be typical of your type :-)

PaulieBoy wrote: »

Infracted -- seriously when I make a warning in a thread - please listen to it eh?

PaulieBoy wrote: »

Thats why I said it, I might be arrogant, but at least I'm upfront about it, which is alot more than i can say about alot of boardsters!!!;)

What do you mean 'your type', lets not bring racism into this, please!!!!!

:D

Star-pants : He was only playing?!

A mod made a warning and people have ignored it. End of.
    This is going off topic please keep to advice on pet insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mlettis

Thank god for pet insurance .

I've had to bring my poor dog to vets five times now since September and twice since Saturday alone . I've already gotten back the €235 I paid at the end of September for insurance . Thats without claiming for the last two visits .

Advertisement