Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

irish essays paper 1 (H)

Options
  • 16-03-2008 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

anyone any ideas what topics to focus on for the essay in paper 1??????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I'd imagine the usuals, Youth (drugs and alcohol), racism, Irish language and culture, sport etc.
    Fiúntas 1 covers most of the stuff you should need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Terrorism, drugs in our society, the future of the irish language, death on the roads, the olympic games, the health system, the media, the societal problems related to excessive alcohol consumption.......
    Those are jst a few of the essays I've prepared anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Health System - definitely have one prepared on this
    Slaughter on the roads
    The Education System
    Crime / Terrorism
    Alcohol / Drugs + teenagers
    Racism
    The Media/ Internet
    Irish language - Gaeltacht, decline etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

As predicated by one of the countries top Irish teachers(in Dublin's Institute of Education, ) for L.c (H).

1 being the most likely to come up, 9 being the less likely...

1.Coras Salinte
    2.Drugai
    3.Olachan
    4.Sabhailteacht
    5.Ciniochas
    6.Gaeilge
    7.Oideachas
    8.Cluichi Oilimpeacha
    9.A.Oscailte

A.Oscailte?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Sorry i think that meant, the opening of the olympics or something. Sorry my bad hand writing i cant see what it means lol.

otherwise, "The opening" lol :rolleyes: you get the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

what about an timpeallacht? is 2 A4 pages enough to get around a B3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

Peleus wrote: »
    is 2 A4 pages enough to get around a B3?

it depends on the quality of Irish not the length although length does come into a/c!:)

barcoe4 wrote: »
    As predicated by one of the countries top Irish teachers(in Dublin's Institute of Education, ) for L.c (H).

1.Coras Salinte
    2.Drugai
    3.Olachan
    4.Sabhailteacht
    5.Ciniochas
    6.Gaeilge
    7.Oideachas
    8.Cluichi Oilimpeacha
    9.A.Oscailte

Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 boardsbabe

although length does come into a/c!:)

Generally, how long should it be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭stripypumkin

boardsbabe wrote: »

hmmm minimum 2 pages i would be be aiming for 3 minimum...but they ask for 500-6oo words!!! 2 and 1/2 pgs is a happy medium methinks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭betsymagoo

eh i just found out something that might come in handy to some of ye that are doing honours irish.....

I was talking to an irish teacher that marks irish and she said that you get 80 marks for grammar and correct irish etc and 20 marks for sticking to the point.....

so basically what im pointing out is that if you learn an essay of by heart... knowing every fada and making sure that all the grammar is correct and you dont even write about the topic the give you.... You have still a good chance of getting a B.....

Make sense.... probably not..... but it might help some of you peeps who is freaking out there....:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

boardsbabe wrote: »

Have a look at one of your Irish essays and see how many words you are writing per line on average. Then work out how much you need to write to reach between 500-600 words. For me I need 2 A4 pages to get those 600 words. I never write more than that because I'm more likely to make a mistake and lose marks! So work out your 600 words and aim to write that much. Quality is better than quantity anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dets

barcoe4 wrote: »

1.Coras Salinte
    2.Drugai
    3.Olachan
    4.Sabhailteacht
    5.Ciniochas
    6.Gaeilge
    7.Oideachas
    8.Cluichi Oilimpeacha
    9.A.Oscailte

thats really helpful thanks, we hav dem al prepared in class and an essay done on each except the one on cursai slainte, which is d most worrying for me since im hearin from a lot of people dats it'd pretty likey..... any tips of where to go wit dat essay title...... repeatin n kinda freakin out bou my irish!! tanks!!

Any one got some good material for the Health System essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Anyone got anything on racism/materialism/Olympics? My Irish teacher is a bit of a jooooke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭xxGalwayGirlxx

Id say defineatly drugs, because the whole cocaine thing with katy french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

what about a story??? good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

It would be a good idea to learn off a debate format (beginning, ending and a few phrases) as if any of the topics you have learnt come up in that part you already have a bit written if you have learned it off.

Both my teachers (one left :D) told us to pretty much steer clear of the short story, unless your standard of Irish is excellent, and even then you should probably only pick it as a last resort.

If you've got notes on all the standard essays (alcohol, health system, racism, drugs, Irish, education system etc) you should be able to fit them into any essay/newspaper article/debate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement