Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August repeats

• 05-06-2013 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know roughly what date they start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Usually the last two weeks of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ah perfect so. Cheers!

Back again.. -_-

Any idea when the dates are given out for the individual repeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

baz2009 wrote: »
    Back again.. -_-

Any idea when the dates are given out for the individual repeats?

They take their sweet ass time preparing the schedule (I had to book flights to come home to do them leading to a lot of frustration with the exams office). If I recall correctly, you get the schedule about a 3-4 weeks before they start. The dates are usually the same and each exam is usually 2 days apart i.e. one on Monday, one on Wednesday etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    They take their sweet ass time preparing the schedule (I had to book flights to come home to do them leading to a lot of frustration with the exams office). If I recall correctly, you get the schedule about a 3-4 weeks before they start. The dates are usually the same and each exam is usually 2 days apart i.e. one on Monday, one on Wednesday etc.

That's not the case. Any exam can be on any day. Depends when your course leader goes to schedule them and what days are free for them.

• Advertisement

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    ...The dates are usually the same and each exam is usually 2 days apart i.e. one on Monday, one on Wednesday etc.

Usually...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mdd

callaway92 wrote: »
    That's not the case. Any exam can be on any day. Depends when your course leader goes to schedule them and what days are free for them.

Nothing to do with the course leader - the exams office schedule exams

mdd wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the course leader - the exams office schedule exams

If slots are available course leaders can select them

You are incorrect there. Again - exams are centrally coordinated by the exams office. Academic staff, course leaders etc. have no input into when or where exams are held. There are no "time slots" to select from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

This is not the case. Course Leaders have no input into the setting of exam times. That is the responsibility of the Examinations Office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This is totally wrong.

Examinations office decides the dates.

Just to give you an example how course leaders have no influence, I had 2 repeat exams scheduled at the exact same time in different buildings (main campus + college st). I had to sit the first exam at 9.15-11.15 I think, then I couldn't leave the exam hall when the first one finished, I had to take the next test 30-45 mins afterwards, what annoyed me was, I couldn't bring in my notes or even leave them at the back of the exam hall. Trying to explain the situation to an invigilator, forget it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 angryduck

Repeat Exam period 19th August - 31st August, 2013
    Repeat exam schedule to follow in Mid July

Back again. :D

Does anyone know the procedure of repeating first year? How do I re-register, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Does anyone know if the lecturers will point you in the direction of the topics that will be coming up in the repeats? They did so for the actual exam.

Does anyone know if the lecturers will point you in the direction of the topics that will be coming up in the repeats? They did so for the actual exam.

Send them an email and just ask nicely if they could clue you in to what may be coming up. They've helped me before anyway. The worst that can happen is that they say no!

Be aware though that when on their holidays they aren't required to even check their staff emails never mind replying.

I've found in the past though that they're pretty good with it. If you don't get a reply within a week then it's probably obvious they wont be replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

I dont know wheter to ask them now or wait till 2 or 3 weeks before the exam, they may not even know themselves whats coming up atm. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Be aware though that when on their holidays they aren't required to even check their staff emails never mind replying.

I've found in the past though that they're pretty good with it. If you don't get a reply within a week then it's probably obvious they wont be replying.
    I dont know wheter to ask them now or wait till 2 or 3 weeks before the exam, they may not even know themselves whats coming up atm. Thanks for the reply.

Callaway is spot on. You should have really contacted the lecturer before June 20th, but that information is not a whole lot of use to you now I know!

Contact your lecturer immediately and they may get back to you. It's likely that they will if they have access to their mail but are not obliged to do so. Don't leave it till the 'last minute', as they are less likely to reply at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

When do the august repeat results usually be released? First or second week in september or later?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tinie wrote: »
    When do the august repeat results usually be released? First or second week in september or later?

Two-Three. They were out on the 18th this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If you get 35% in a repeat exam can you be brought up by your other subjects?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

bush wrote: »

If the other subjects are high enough (can't recall what percentage) and if compensation is allowed for the module/course.

Sully wrote: »
    If the other subjects are high enough (can't recall what percentage) and if compensation is allowed for the module/course.

I thought you needed the 40% in repeats?

The compensation was only for the semester exams as far as i can remember

I thought you needed the 40% in repeats?

The compensation was only for the semester exams as far as i can remember

If you take 5% off 40% than you fail the subject you take the compensation from.

bush wrote: »

No - you have to get 40% in a repeat exam to pass - there is no compensation in repeat sittings

Sully wrote: »
    If you take 5% off 40% than you fail the subject you take the compensation from.

Yeah this is the case with maximum of 2 subjects during semester exams, but I dont think it is with repeats. I believe you need to 40%

Ya, just adding to the ones that said you need 40%.

There's no compensation in repeats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

quick question for you guys if you happen to know the answer; just say you carry a failed subject from first year into second year. Then you fail the exam repeat in the august of second year, a year after you would have taken the first repeat. What happens then, if hypothetically you have passed everything else in first and second year but didn't pass that first year module again.

I contacted the exam office and they said you can sit an exam a max of four times in a college degree in WIT, but I didn't ask them what happens if you fail it on your fourth attempt as I was a bit taken aback from that as what i gather from that is that your basically kicked out of the course and can't continue?

But then, a guy in another course I know of is repeating a first year module again he carried in the august repeats of his third year in the course apparently he said.

So does anyone know what the deal is, maybe if it happened to you or someone you know?

Do you infact not be able to continue the course, regardless if you pass all other modules, or is it a case of being allowed to resit the exam as long as your in the course and keep paying i.e. if its a 3 year course, you can sit the repeat again in third year?

Its a funny question I know, but im just wondering as I hope it doesn't come down to this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

quick question for you guys if you happen to know the answer; just say you carry a failed subject from first year into second year. Then you fail the exam repeat in the august of second year, a year after you would have taken the first repeat. What happens then, if hypothetically you have passed everything else in first and second year but didn't pass that first year module again.

I contacted the exam office and they said you can sit an exam a max of four times in a college degree in WIT, but I didn't ask them what happens if you fail it on your fourth attempt as I was a bit taken aback from that as what i gather from that is that your basically kicked out of the course and can't continue?

But then, a guy in another course I know of is repeating a first year module again he carried in the august repeats of his third year in the course apparently he said.

So does anyone know what the deal is, maybe if it happened to you or someone you know?

Do you infact not be able to continue the course, regardless if you pass all other modules, or is it a case of being allowed to resit the exam as long as your in the course and keep paying i.e. if its a 3 year course, you can sit the repeat again in third year?

Its a funny question I know, but im just wondering as I hope it doesn't come down to this for me.

Im sure they won't kick you out of the degree over one module. You can't make a person understand something I did read something a few years on the WIT website ,they could come up with another option if all other avenues fail. So i wouldn't worry about being kicked out as they are mad for your fees.

• Advertisement

It's decided on a case by case basis, afaik. Perhaps it would be wise see if you can take time out and just focus on this subject for the semester, than repeat it?

Advertisement