Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keeping in contact with school teachers.

• 25-02-2012 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to the radio the other day, a guest was talking about calling up her old school teacher for a chat. I thought this was odd and then realised my mother has kept in contact with some of the nuns who taught her 45 years ago!!

I hated school but had one or two nice teachers but never kept in contact. Do you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nope! Only one or two of my teachers I had a lot of time for, some were so useless they wouldn't teach a cat to drink milk :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I talk to a few on the street if I pass them by, but at 18, I never would have thought of asking a teacher for a way to stay in touch.

Shame. There were some damn fine teachers in my school too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Larianne wrote: »
    Listening to the radio the other day, a guest was talking about calling up her old school teacher for a chat. I thought this was odd and then realised my mother has kept in contact with some of the nuns who taught her 45 years ago!!

I hated school but had one or two nice teachers but never kept in contact. Do you?

One as he lives in my area.dont really keep in contact as such just happen to see him around.

There were one or two though i would love to have kept in touch with.....in my bed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm doing the LC this year, and the thought of keeping in contact with teachers, while it would be nice, just seems a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Are we talking about ones you can finally ride now that you're over 16?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I wouldn't have been a model student by any means but I had and still have great respect for some of the teachers I had and would have gladly kept in touch with them.. A lot have since retired tho..

However on saying that other teachers I had were a complete and utter waste of space and wouldn't cross the road to say hello. They were there as it was a handy number and had no interest in putting any effort into the job..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Either or Stovelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Remember when kids came back to visit while you were still in school and you'd be thinking how much of a weirdo they are for voluntarily coming back? Well, you weren't wrong; they were a bit weird.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Uriel. wrote: »
    There were one or two though i would love to have kept in touch with.....in my bed

I think we all had one or two like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

Remember when kids came back to visit while you were still in school and you'd be thinking how much of a weirdo they are for voluntarily coming back? Well, you weren't wrong; they were a bit weird.

Yeah always thought that was a bit sad alright. That only ever happened in primary school for me, the previous 6th classers would call in wearing their secondary school uniform thinking they were great. Losers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

My former history/ English teacher is one of my best friends. I even dated her son! We're currently working together on a mutual interest of ours. I always respected her, then I started dating her son, and it went from there!

Many teachers keep in contact with their former students to some degree or another. Through this woman, I am acquainted with some other former teachers of mine, and it's nice how many of them talk about and recollect their former pupils.

After all, students can leave a large impression on their teachers' lives - sometimes good, but not always!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Definitely not, can barely remember the names of most of my teachers in secondary. Wouldn't mind meeting one of the nuns who taught me so I could tell her what a satanic bitch she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Meeting a teacher outside of school when you are older is possibly one of the most awkward social situations....do you still refer to them as Sir/Miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There's one prick who used to slap me in the face and use the leather on me like it was going out of fashion, back in the 1950s that was and in the Screechin' Butchers school. Now he's in his eighties and has had several heart attacks, I'm told, but I see him from time to time in SuperValu and Centra and avoid him like the altar-eating, hypocritical boy-beating cnut he is. I often wonder what they'd do to me if I walked up to him and gave him a slap in the puss the same way he used to do to me when I was 13 or 14.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    There's one prick who used to slap me in the face and use the leather on me like it was going out of fashion, back in the 1950s that was and in the Screechin' Butchers school. Now he's in his eighties and has had several heart attacks, I'm told, but I see him from time to time in SuperValu and Centra and avoid him like the altar-eating, hypocritical boy-beating cnut he is. I often wonder what they'd do to me if I walked up to him and gave him a slap in the puss the same way he used to do to me when I was 13 or 14.:):):)
    He'd go to the Gardai. Which is precisely what your parents ought to have done. I appreciate that it was not the done thing, and that society was not behaving or thinking reasonably at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Haven't seen my English teacher in a while. Though when I was sixteen she used to go to the same bar as me, I'd always say 'hello miss', I'm cool like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Regularly go out for a few pints with a few former teachers. They are only people, who in some cases may actually have similar interests to you...

I'd have liked to keep in touch with my old Religion teacher, she was stunning! Saw her in a bar about 3 years ago at home, still a fine thing!

*runs to bedroom with box of kleenex* :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ellis Dee wrote: »

Say he'd love it. Remind him of bygone days. Give him a kick in the nads just for that special extra...

As for keeping in touch with former teachers, most were only in the job for the money, no motivation to help pupils, unless they were, as the americans call them, the Jocks. The footballer/GAA players always got special attention. I was f**ked cause I could kick snow off a rope..still can't

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The ones that I remember doing this, only came back to beat someone up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I have two that I'd text every now and again and meet up with. I went back to my old school last year and so many others seemed genuinely interested to hear what I was at and what most of my year were doing with their lives too.

I'm glad I had the [proverbial] balls to ask those two to stay in touch and get their numbers. We always had the potential to become friends but that's never really possible until you actually leave school. Not like college anyway when your lecturers appreciate that you're an adult and you can share interests. At 17/18 it's not as easy and is often almost frowned upon that one could forge a friendship with a teacher. Shame, that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

As for keeping in touch with former teachers, most were only in the job for the money

Good man mondeo, when you grow up there you'll figure out that this is why the vast majority of us work 'only for the money'.

As for staying in contact, no way, straight out the school gate, big smile on my face, never looked back, never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I have a few old teachers as facebook friends and meet a few when I'm out and about. I would like to call them by their first names but always end up calling them sir or miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Now that I am older and more mature, I have a car so I can follow them home from school and find out where they live and stinkbomb and TP their houses. Win for WindSock. Teacherz r squares.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm embarrassed that I haven't become anythnig of myself a few had really high hopes for me, so I avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

As a teacher myself now, I often wish I could talk to, ask advice from and exchange ideas with my old school principal. He made school such a wonderful experience for me that I never wanted to leave and I wish he was still with us now so I could tell him that I'm at the other side of the desk as a result of his positivity and enthusiasm, that I will always try to replicate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

No, I couldn't wait to get away from most of them. There are one or two though who if I ran into I wouldn't mind having a chat with.

Jaxxy wrote: »
    No, I couldn't wait to get away from most of them. There are one or two though who if I ran into I wouldn't mind having a chat with.

Is that a mafia style 'chat'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Good man mondeo, when you grow up there you'll figure out that this is why the vast majority of us work 'only for the money'.

As for staying in contact, no way, straight out the school gate, big smile on my face, never looked back, never went back.

Good man only use half the quote to make you look intelligent. reckon you need to grow up child. Bet your teachers were glad to see the back of you and by the way your back on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

kfallon wrote: »
    Is that a mafia style 'chat'?

Something like that. :D

I'd have said I'd like to give them a "piece of my mind", but I need all of those.

Advertisement