Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I just discovered a vurnability in NCT booking system.

• 25-10-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭

To book, rebook or cancel your NCT booking online you need car registration number and date of first registration.

Both those can be read when looking at the car.
    Reg is obvious, and first registration date in vast majority of cases can be read from NCT disc.

Generally speaking that means, that malicious neighbour can easily cancel my NCT booking just a day before my test, making me liable for cancallation charges.

Don't you think there should be something done about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

cheers for the guide , Canceling my neighbors because hes a cun7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

guess you shouldn't have shagged his wife so.......honestly do you think somebody would bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

CiniO wrote: »
    To book, rebook or cancel your NCT booking online you need car registration number and date of first registration.

Both those can be read when looking at the car.
    Reg is obvious, and first registration date in vast majority of cases can be read from NCT disc.

Generally speaking that means, that malicious neighbour can easily cancel my NCT booking just a day before my test, making me liable for cancallation charges.

I dont think your malicious neighbour would even have kopped that, until now that is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Neighbour musn't have much to do if they are going online on NCT the whole time seeing if they can cancel your test:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You'd have to check every day for 3 months leading up to the NCT renewal date to check when they've booked it for, then wait until right before it and cancel. I'm sure people have better things to be doing, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Hmmm... They could book without your knowledge and then cancel it without you ever knowing!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

CiniO wrote: »
    Not really. I've never heard about this being misused, and even if it was occasionally it's hardly worth changing the system for.

Stalker types can get people's names from those details off the NCT system too, not good really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

You'd have to check every day for 3 months leading up to the NCT renewal date to check when they've booked it for, then wait until right before it and cancel. I'm sure people have better things to be doing, tbh.

Revenge is long and sweet...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

biko wrote: »
    Not really. I've never heard about this being misused, and even if it was occasionally it's hardly worth changing the system for.

You really think that ability to login into someone account on NCT booking website by just knowing the details which are displayed to public on every car is not a problem?
    I'd say there's no need for any major change of system.
    Just something different than first registration date would be nice (like any info from reg cert instead of something which is available to public on discs).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Does the NCT booking site show your address as well, or is that just the motortax.ie site?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LOL, I know there's a long waiting list for tests and all, but cancelling your neighbour's one, just so you can get yours done ?

Wow, that is a new low.

Or, an amazing new form of OCD.....:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Lads, I LOLLED at ASOT's post too, but the OP has a point. The security of the booking system of the NCT was engineered by an imbecile.

Plenty of other imbeciles made other rules in this country too. Like the one who declared that you are legally ok to drive a car when you have just failed your driving test (and have proven you are incapable of safely driving a car)

Too tired to make this into a proper rant about imbecilities in the Irish legal system...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Whats the fee for cancelling?
    That could be a really obnoxious prank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

I noticed something similar when booking mine...I could easily book a load of other cars in with registration numbers close to mine as the date of registration was the same or within a day or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I noticed this a while ago and mentioned it here as a possible (but unwieldy) way to track down a car eg if your family owned a car years ago and you know the first reg date and would like to buy it back or at least find out who owns it. If it is going for an NCT you can find out when and where and can "accidentally" bump into the owner at the test centre.

Could also be used for more malicious purposes eg road rage followup or finding out where a car is kept to steal it.

PS if you enter the date of first reg wrong three times, it locks that registration number out of the online system for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

RoverJames wrote: »
    Stalker types can get people's names from those details off the NCT system too, not good really.

Nice one! Thanks for the tip! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

The date of first registration isn't on my disc in the window, it is on the cert though.
    Is it only on some of the disc's, if so which ones? This might make for an interesting story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bodhan wrote: »
    The date of first registration isn't on my disc in the window, it is on the cert though.
    Is it only on some of the disc's, if so which ones? This might make for an interesting story

The date of expiry is though, and the date of first registration is that date back in the year of registration, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say that this falls under the Data Protection Act, and that if this was misused then the NCT would have to explain that the system is robust and reliable.
    Going by whathas been posted it is neither.
    Ergo if you have had a test booked and cancelled then you should not be liable for the cost and the NCT will have to modify their system in order to prevent this information from being freely available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

This post is vaguely on topic...:D

Whilst browsing Halfords in Newry two days ago I was after a shiny metal tax disc holder. I found one thanks - looks great.

However I could not find any similar items for holding my insurance cert and in the future my nct cert then of course, very slowly the penny finally dropped!

Cue visions of me slack-jawed / pondering this information for a while before saying something wonderfully incitely like 'now that you mention it...':D

Why do we in Ireland bother with having to display anything more than just our tax disc?

Cinio good find mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

The Guvnor wrote: »
    This post is vaguely on topic...:D

Whilst browsing Halfords in Newry two days ago I was after a shiny metal tax disc holder. I found one thanks - looks great.

However I could not find any similar items for holding my insurance cert and in the future my nct cert then of course, very slowly the penny finally dropped!

Cue visions of me slack-jawed / pondering this information for a while before saying something wonderfully incitely like 'now that you mention it...':D

Why do we in Ireland bother with having to display anything more than just our tax disc?

Cinio good find mate!
    If you wanted to stay secure, you can take your insurance disc in your wallet. You can do some malicious stuff with something as simple as that....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Bodhan wrote: »

Usually date of expiry of you NCT disc would be a day before you date of first registration.
    Of course not always (f.e. imported cars), so as I said it doesn't apply to everyone.

Advertisement