Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gmail App Grouping Emails

• 30-07-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

By Default, the Gmail app groups similar emails into a single thread. I find this completely and utterly confusing. Does anyone know how to turn this off? Can't find it in the settings menu.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's a bit different to start off with, but I much prefer the Gmail way of doing things and using Outlook for work is really annoying me again now.

Anyway, you need to change settings in Gmail itself through a desktop browser, pretty sure you can't do it from the Android app:
    http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/turn-off-gmails-conversation-view.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Sweet. Have changed it in my settings now. The emails already in my inbox are still grouped. Does it only apply for newly sent emails?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Blisterman wrote: »
    Sweet. Have changed it in my settings now. The emails already in my inbox are still grouped. Does it only apply for newly sent emails?

Changing the settings doesn't affect the mobile site or the gmail app unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Changing the settings doesn't affect the mobile site or the gmail app unfortunately.
    and its a bloody pain too. wish theyd hurry up and sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Random wrote: »
    and its a bloody pain too. wish theyd hurry up and sort it out.

Are you serious? Threading is by far the most useful function of Gmail.

If you really want to throw it away, just configure your Gmail account in the regular Android email client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I find it a nightmare. Emails tend to already have the previous messages in a conversation view, o it ends up getting very cluttered and confusing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I find that gmail does a pretty good job of minimizing any previous messages or clipping the text in the desktop browser version. Can't stand trying to find previous messages in a conversation where someone else has clipped the text when using Outlook though, and the search is rubbish. It took a while to convert my thinking to the Gmail method initially, but it seems so much better now I've been using for years.

Advertisement