Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Desktop Replacement in a laptop?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It looks good but the graphics card could be better. You should be looking at, at least a 8600gt. Since you are looking at 17" laptops you could get one with a 7900gs or a 7950gtx. These are much better cards. You will get a very good laptop for €1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Where would I get laptops with cards in it like that? Cheers by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

A dell XPS M1710 got either a 7900gs/7950gtx, i got a bog standard 7900gs, but its good for 4,400+ 3d mark 06 score. quiet adequate for everything this.

Ok so if i slash my budget down to around 1,600? What chances will I have then of getting a desktop replacement with a decent gfx card? I just don't want to pay loads more for just the gfx card. I just want to play games on medium settings in a few months time...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've found one on dell with a 7900gs but it isn't great value for money. I'm gonna keep looking for one that is better value though.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help...

well if you want a desktop replacement a dell xps is probably better than most desktops, mine is a year old and its still the dogs boll0k$...!

while on the subject, you can swap graphic cards on the M1710, the 7900gs and 7950gtx have the same bus width. but getting your hands on such a card is another matter entirely, besides you can safely overclock the 7900gs to reach almost 7950gtx speeds. you can also put on a quad core cpu if you got another grand to shell out. so its pretty futureproof in terms of upgrading......!

Getting a 7900 for a decent price on dell seems to be out of the question. I even asked someone on their webchat thing about it and they couldn't direct me to one that was good value. They also had trouble directing me to one that was from dell Ireland and not del UK despite me telling them multiple times that Ireland and the UK are two entirely different places.

You could get a laptop with a 8600gt, while not as good as a 7900 it is still pretty good and will help keep the price down.

I didnt know the 7900s were that expensive, i got a very good deal with my xps.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help AlmightyCushion...

I managed to get a price for a dell with a 8600 GT...

Check out the spec and let me know what you think...

I am thinking either the HP Pavillion in the second link or else this if it's that much better? What do you reckon?

http://ecomm.euro.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1002920572653&toEmail=nitin_mongia@yahoo.com

legs11 wrote:
    I didnt know the 7900s were that expensive, i got a very good deal with my xps.

Yeah they aren't great value for money. I bought mine nearly a year ago and it was good value at the time.

unless you are a game freak and like watching hi def visuals on a laptop....:p

legs11 wrote:
    unless you are a game freak and like watching hi def visuals on a laptop....:p

Just because they are great doesn't mean they aren't terrible value for money.

lol

i think you missed my post
    cheesedude wrote:
    Thanks for the help AlmightyCushion...

I managed to get a price for a dell with a 8600 GT...

Check out the spec and let me know what you think...

I am thinking either the HP Pavillion in the second link or else this if it's that much better? What do you reckon?

http://ecomm.euro.dell.com/dellstore/basket_retrieve.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs&itemtype=CFG&cart_id=1002920572653&toEmail=nitin_mongia@yahoo.com

cheesedude wrote:
    lol

i think you missed my post

Yep I missed it. I'll take a look at that for ya.

It's kinda expensive for what you are getting. The problem is you started cheap and worked your way up. This where dell make boatloads of cash. They charge rediculous amounts for upgrades.
    For example you upgraded from a 160GB hard drive to a 250GB for €170. For €170 you could buy a 250GB hard drive off komplett or elara and put it in your self. This still leaves you with a spare 160GB hard drive that you can sell or stick in an enclosure.

Edit: Are you set on a 17" or would you consider a 15.4"?

Cool, i know what you are saying...are laptops not really hard to upgrade though???

Would the HP one be better???

cheesedude wrote:
    Cool, i know what you are saying...are laptops not really hard to upgrade though???

Would the HP one be better???

Ram and hard drives are a piece of piss to upgrade. I'm not a fan of hp. Two of my friends had them and had nothing but problems. They could have just been unlucky but I wouldn't take that risk.

Would you consider a 15.4" screen or are you set on a 17"? Also what is the budget, is it €1600 or €1800?

1,600...1,800 just seems too much to spend.

I wanted a 17" because it's a nice size but is a 15" that different??

What do you suggest in 15"?

• Advertisement

I only asked about the 15.4" because I didn't think the dell vostro range (really good value for money laptop range from dell) had 17" but they do.

17" is great for games, dvds and pretty much everything except portability. Although saying that I have a 17" and I bring it in to college everyday so it's not that bad.

Take a look at this 17" vostro. This laptop is excluding vat so you will need to take this into account.
    It works out pretty cheap but if you want to spend all that €1600 you have a few options.

Upgrade the battery to a 9 cell.
    Upgrade to a bigger hard drive. If you plan on doing this post up the size hard drive you would like and I will find one off komplett or elara for cheaper than dell.
    Upgrade the processor to a T7500.
    Downgrade the warranty to a 2 year and upgrade the processor to a T7700.

That's an awesome spec.

I even think the size hard drive would be fine for the timebeing. If i wanted to upgrade the hard drive at a later date, would it be much hassle?

How would that laptop compare to the other laptops I had in my first post? Would this Vostro be a better one all round?

And the graphics card is a lot better is it?

Thanks a lot for your help...

cheesedude wrote:
    That's an awesome spec.

I even think the size hard drive would be fine for the timebeing. If i wanted to upgrade the hard drive at a later date, would it be much hassle?
    It would be just as easy as upgrading it now but you have the advantage of the hard drive being cheaper if you wait.
    cheesedude wrote:
    How would that laptop compare to the other laptops I had in my first post? Would this Vostro be a better one all round?

And the graphics card is a lot better is it?
    Compared to the hp. The hp has way more hard disk space. The graphics card in the dell is either the same or better. It's hard to tell because the hp just says 8600 and doesn't go into detail.

Compared to the asus. The asus has a better cpu but you can upgrade the dell to the same cpu for only €70.
    The asus has a bigger hard disk but it only runs at 4200rpm compared to the dells which is at 5400rpm. Rpm is the speed at which the disk spins at, the faster the quicker the laptop can access the data.
    The graphics card is better in the dell.

The dell also has a much better screen than the other two. I'd say go with the dell.
    cheesedude wrote:
    Thanks a lot for your help...
    Any time mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alter200

cheesedude wrote:
    Hey guys,

I'm looking for a desktop replacement laptop. It needs to be something along the lines of this: http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ASUS_A7Sv_7S009C_A7SV-7S009C/version-1.asp

Or this:

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Hewlett_Packard_Pavilion_dv9574ea_GT433EA/version-1.asp

Or even better if possible...would not like to go above 1,800 Euro. What do you reckon I should buy? Any help at all possible. Would like a decent gfx card also for the occasional game I may play...

Any ideas? Thanks a lot...

Does anyone know anything about laptopsdirect.ie??? Or would Ebay be a good bet???

regarding laptopsdirect.ie, I bought the following Acer Gemstone from them two weeks ago

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5920H_Gemstone_Laptop_LX.AN60X.001/version.asp

was delivered within three days of them ordering - which I was pleased with! :-)

Advertisement