Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best value and performance?

Options
  • 04-10-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buying a laptop soon. I need it for all sorts of stuff. I edit a lot of audio so the laptop needs to be fast and have a decent amount of ram and a good proccessor. Obviously I'm trying to keep the cost down or else I'd just buy a mac book pro. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 options. I don't know which one is better for me. I've no issues using mac OS vrs windows.

First option: 1,595.49euro incl vat & shipping

Dell Vostro™ 1700 NB(N1017003)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)

Windows Vista® Business - English

1 Year Business Hardware Support

17.0" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1900x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™

2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)

160GB (7200RPM) SATA Hard Drive

256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT

Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software

Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)

2nd option: 1390.29euro incl vat & shipping

13-inch MacBook

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

SuperDrive 8x (DVD +R DL/DVD RW/CD-RW)

2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs

160GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)

I'd appreciate any suggestions or opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Odd choice there, going with either a big giant 17" or a wee little 13"...

Realistically, a 17" is probably too big if you plan on carrying it around the place a lot, have you considered the 15" version of the Vostro?? Also, are you a student? You can get a discount for the iBook if you are...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

The mac book includes student discount. Screen size etc... doesn't mean much to me it's more performance and processing at a decent price i'm looking for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The dell while being more expensive is better. Way better processor. Also a much better graphics card. If you ever plan to play a game on this the dell is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

The dell it is then. Thanks.

Advertisement