Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lane Confusion - Cork

• 20-03-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

I guess a lot of people here know about this one. As you come in the quays, over the bridge past Jury's Inn and then past the Sextant Bar.

Anyways, the outer two lanes are both going to the South Link Road. The inner lane is to go straight on over to Anglesea Street and to go right down Eglington street.

Problem is that right on the corner before the junction there is a yellow box junction. All white lines have been removed which confuses things.

A lot of people in the 2nd lane think they are in the correct lane to go on straight over to Anglesea Street. I've heard of a lot of minor fender benders happening there. Its a wonder that for the sake of a bucket of paint, Cork Corp won't do something about it. I've had a few near ones there recently too. Am always worried that the car outside me will try to go straight into my lane.

mapmh2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

yep, i've had a few near misses there myself
    cant believe that the situation is still the same, its been enarly a year since i was in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Its a wonder that for the sake of a bucket of paint, Cork Corp won't do something about it.

What was their response when you contacted them, or did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Bluetonic wrote: »
    What was their response when you contacted them, or did you?

I'm going to send an email tonight. Has another close one today with some guy nearly coming into the side of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i suspect you mean the two inner lanes (ie left hand) go on to the south link...the only prob i have at this corner is scrotes blocking lanes 1 and 2 in the yellow box trying to get into lane 3 which is full and standing...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

One of my bugbears! I come through here everyday and have to keep my eyes glued to my wing mirror as I go through the yellow box to avoid morons (who always think they're in the right!) swinging in from the South Link lanes. Both of the South Link lanes are marked N27 as well, so there's no reason for the confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

they could probably close access to this road from the side street. (from the park and the gas company). this would cut out idiots blocking the road, but would probably cause chaos at the previous junction???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Most people don't realise what the correct lane is, I see it all the time there.

I just take it really slowly and assume that the people in the second lane are going to do it wrong. I actually had to check google earth a few months ago because I wasn't sure if I was right.

It's ridiculous that they won't make it clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

In fairness it probably is confusing if you dont know the lane layout but regular users should know it ok, its not that that hard to see those solid whites after the yellow box?, the yellow box is there for the side road for offices there is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

In fairness it probably is confusing if you dont know the lane layout but regular users should know it ok, its not that that hard to see those solid whites after the yellow box?, the yellow box is there for the side road for offices there is it not?

Yellow box seems to be there to allow the No. 2 bus come from the side road (where "Jew Buildings" is) across traffic and into the right turning lane down the side of City Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Lads, who exactly should I fire an email off to regarding puting white lines through the yellow box junction ?

I might give a mention the no right turn signs they put up going in the oppposite direction (no right turn onto the docks anymore). People don't seem to care at all about this sign. Would be nice if some enforcement was put there no and then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement