Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haulin Hooks

Options
  • 21-06-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

To cut a long story short, I'd been lifting for almost 4 years before I got seriously injured a few months back. I've had to work very hard for many months just to get back to normal body function and am now nearing the stage where I could try getting back into a bit of light exercise. So, I'm weak and a little physically handicapped. My biggest problem for lifting will be the permanent loss of most of my flexor function in my ring and little fingers on my right hand.

A patient who had been through a similar ordeal recommended Haulin Hooks for lifting. Now, I can picture how these would be helpful for things like deadlifts, bent over rows and shrugs, but what about exercises like bench and shoulder press, bicep curls, brachioradialis curls, pull ups/lat machine, does anyone have anything they'd recommend looking into to make these exercises physically possible and safe?

Another safety query on Haulin Hooks: Is there much risk of injury? For example if you had maxed out at the top of a deadlift or bent over row and had to suddenly let the weight go would you not just tear your arm right out of the axilla? Same principle for pull ups or lat machine. These are the sort of things I'd be paranoid about

The ring and little fingers are the foundation of your power grip, if you've never had an idea of how losing function in these would affect you, just try to (gently, just as a test) pickup a dumbbell that you'd normally be able to bench or shoulder press with just your thumb, index and middle fingers and you'll understand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Have you tried a hook grip- thumb under oly lifter style? I think it's less dependant on the third and fourth digit flexion. Lifting straps may be of help. Hard to know. Hope you find something. Versa gripps look interestingVersa Gripps

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mickery

Great attitude, well done so far.

How about pushups, weighted and one-armed to increase the load?

Also, handstand pushups would be roughly similar to an overhead press.

Lifting straps can be used for all kinds of pull \ chin ups. I guess you could wrap them in such a way that they easily unravel when you let go. Otherwise use a bar where you can reach the ground with your feet if something goes wrong.

Advertisement