Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Ship [TNT - US]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought the episode was quite good actually. Not spectacular but certainly was a bit of craic. Yeah the radar/tinfoil was a bit dumb but given the production staff, what can you expect. The one downside was the tacked on love declaration. Absolutely silly and ill placed and the writing was absolute cack but it was one blip in 3 episodes.

It's a big, loud, dumb as hell show really but it's pretty good fun still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Im loving the amount of cliches the captain & co are ramming into every piece of dialogue...

Its worth watching for that alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I have to say that i'm loving it so far. Cant wait for next weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm quite enjoying this show myself..

Sure it's dumb, forget-it-5-minutes-later stuff but I don't think it pretends to be anything else and as such it delivers I reckon.
    I see some of the same sort of comments in the Films forums - people who are disappointed and give out because they weren't challenged by a show/film or because it's not "dark", "gritty", "realistic".

All that has its place and I enjoy that sorta thing too in a different way, but speaking for myself I'm glad to see a throwback to the good ole days of 80s/90s-style light entertainment (it's Mission Impossible - 80s version - on a boat!) :)

Mmm.. Jane Badler was truly the sexist woman on TV in those days! :p

Much as I like this show, even I have to admit that this week's episode was absolute rubbish! Aside from if they knew the ship was having problems, why not just weigh anchor and take some time to repair those while they still had power and a basically running ship? Nah, might as well leave it til fire breaks out and a decent amount of damage is done! I hope the Navy were watching this week. Whoever actually passes the policy to repurpose a few parachutes to act as sails for those big, heavy ships they have will be a hero with all that cost saving on fuel. Please let's not even mention the 'lowering the samples to the bottom of the ocean' incident! Well, OK, maybe we will but is hitting just the required temperature to save the samples really enough to save them in reality? I hope this is a lull in proceedings. It's been a fun show up til this. At this point they need more things to shoot at really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

squonk wrote: »
    Much as I like this show, even I have to admit that this week's episode was absolute rubbish! Aside from if they knew the ship was having problems, why not just weigh anchor and take some time to repair those while they still had power and a basically running ship? Nah, might as well leave it til fire breaks out and a decent amount of damage is done! I hope the Navy were watching this week. Whoever actually passes the policy to repurpose a few parachutes to act as sails for those big, heavy ships they have will be a hero with all that cost saving on fuel. Please let's not even mention the 'lowering the samples to the bottom of the ocean' incident! Well, OK, maybe we will but is hitting just the required temperature to save the samples really enough to save them in reality? I hope this is a lull in proceedings. It's been a fun show up til this. At this point they need more things to shoot at really!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/high-hopes-navy-airs-fuel-saving-idea-183185.html
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/naval-service-in-historic-kite-sail-tests-256600.html

That's impressive! I thought the show was a piss take! Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I mean you only have to look at a windsurfer, or a sailing boat, or a parasailer.... to see that the sail has to be proportionately larger than the thing its pulling to have enough power to move it right? Those three little parachutes are never going to move a ship...

But okay... I can suspend belief a few more weeks, because its a still a good idea.

And what happened to the russians? Wasnt it assumed they would be following?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

With the doc under lock and key would imagine it's pretty much impossible to find them? However they were broadcasting a sos so I'm sure we'll see them soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Awesomeness warning if you're going to watch it this week! Some serious slow motion work and staring into the distance to a bit of Dire Straits this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Peace wrote: »
    Awesomeness warning if you're going to watch it this week! Some serious slow motion work and staring into the distance to a bit of Dire Straits this week.
    "We came here to hunt..." all that was missing was a Dun DUN DUUUNNNN! Thats some cheestastic tv right there. :D

So what direction do you think they'll be going with this? They seem to be making rapid progress towards a vaccine, so will they just start getting caught up in little side missions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

More slo-mo-into action shots, wise cracking, lots of God damits, nearly make the vaccine, loose the vaccine, get the vaccine back, vaccine wont work, repeat x2

This show gets better and better. Adam Baldwin is fantastic.

Definitely the most talented of the baldwin brothers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Beano wrote: »
    This show gets better and better. Adam Baldwin is fantastic.

Definitely the most talented of the baldwin brothers. ;)
    hes certainly living off the family name:p, i loved him in chuck, grunting his way through 5 seasons of awesomeness :D:D

i thope they dont go down the road of losing and finding the vaccine, even if they get the vaccine to work, it still needs to be mass produced and distributed, and there is no infrastructure left to do that it seems, so there is plenty of more story left to tell, even after they cure the virus,

Yup the Dire Straits was a bit of a surprise.

I'm sticking with it. Its a bit formulaic but who cares.

It reminds me a bit of Star Trek Voyager. I wouldn't be surprised if they adapted some of the episode plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Maybe they'll stop by Ireland and do some Fairhaven. While they're here, they can make Mary Lou the Borg Queen. :)

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yup the Dire Straits was a bit of a surprise.

I'm sticking with it. Its a bit formulaic but who cares.

It reminds me a bit of Star Trek Voyager. I wouldn't be surprised if they adapted some of the episode plots.

If they put Rhona Mitra in a 7of9 outfit the show would be the best ever.

Ha ha. I bet thats what they were thinking with the limey doctor.

A bit slow this week. No real tension to speak of and didnt really advance the story very much.

• Advertisement

i thought it was good, it addressed the tension building up in the crew about the lack of information being given out by the senior officers, it was a needed episode just to lock down the unrest that would build in a situation like that,

i expect that to be the last of crew unrest, and the story can drive on from here,

I think my problem with it was that there was no real chance of any of the crew leaving. It would be a death sentence for them.

Beano wrote: »
    I think my problem with it was that there was no real chance of any of the crew leaving. It would be a death sentence for them.
    maybe so, but they all have family that they want to try and get back to, its all well and good staying safe on the ship, but if you think you wife and kids could be dieing, your not really gonna want to be stuck on a ship out in the middle of the atlantic, and being kept in the dark,

that why chandler showed them what exactly is happening on the ship, to show how important it is that they stay strong,

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It might have been nice to let some of the crew out and have a branching storyline to show what's happening on land (a good opportunity to show the stakes).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will give the next few episodes a try. I think this show may break all records for the 'really didn't live up to the amazing looking trailer' award.

Underwhelmed. Very underwhelmed in fact. Can't see myself sticking the course.

Needs more Russians, more sick people (zombie apocalypse anogue?), and more pathos-inducing contact with survivors.

Potentially a Gray's Anatomy at sea. The world needs a Gray's Anatomy at sea only marginally less than it needs a Gray's Anatomy...

despite the disappointment i felt about last nights episode i will be sticking with it. It does have potential and Adam Baldwin and Rhona Mitri are always good to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

letting the crew leave wasn't that a bsg story line aswell?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep and a last resort storyline, par for the course with these types of shows

Yup, that last one was kind of dull. I suppose they needed a morale episode at some point.

I'm sticking with it. At least a few more weeks.

• Advertisement

How has it been explained why they havent encountered any other navy vessels? There must be submarines out there?

In the first episode it as implied that it was the cold of the arctic that kept the ship safe, or am I misremembering?

Advertisement