Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yallah

Hey all, good to see this thread.
    I had an older model Cannondale 'Bad Boy' hybrid bike stolen from the Georges St. corner of Hogans Pub (Dublin) on Saturday night/ Sunday morning (08.01) last from about 12:30-2:30am, from one of those tubular bicycle railings.
    Bike is matt black with those (bit cliched) gargoyle type images, American Classic wheels, mainly Shimano XT group set/ gear/ brakes etc and red handlebar grips.
    It has great (dare I say) sentimental value as I had it quite a while and basically replaced everything over the years.
    Lock was gone too and was an amoured cable lock type?
    Anyway, I would appreciate if anyboby could keep an eye out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Not that its any use to you now yallah but there is actually a free secure bike compound very close to where yours was stolen. Its on Drury St. but not sure what the opening times are?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Armoured cable locks are not much better than standard cable locks.

You can, in fact, lock a half-decent bike in Dublin, but not with any variant on a cable lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

My bike was stolen from outside college today, cant believe it. Its honestly not worth stealing but its gone anyway. Gutted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Just remembered that I forgot to post here when my bike was stolen in Galway city (just before Christmas)

Its Fongers-Intercycle from the 80's racer/tourer with drop bars, a green frame and red forks as well as a Biopace chain ring. also has a rear pannier attached

Got the bike cheap and had it for two years so not too annoyed when I worked out my usage to cost however what f--ks me off is that it apparently would have been a good frame for fixie so its probably stripped and now being cycled by an annoying hipster (apologies to all non hipsters fixie owners)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭meercat

seen this
    maybe someone here knows who owns it
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/2913365

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

meercat wrote: »
    seen this
    maybe someone here knows who owns it
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/2913365

Charging 35euro???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭meercat

yeah
    after i posted this up i re-read the add and im not sure that its genuine
    maybe someone whose 1st language is not english

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

My beloved Carerra was stolen yesterday besides Tesco in Finglas. Chained and went into the shop for 10 minutes. Gone...
    Called the Garda and posting it here, but don't have much hopes...
    b150-u2952_orig.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

Bike stolen today from Fitzwilliam Place, Dublin 2. Between 3 & 5.30

Pinnacle Bachelor Number 1, Single Speed Bike gold in colour, size medium.

It had raceblade mud guards. Same as one pictured below.

Its a fairly rare bike so if anyone spots it please let me know.

_D2X9232-500-70.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Marq-dublin

Hi Guys

My friends bike was stolen yesterday from his back garden off Long Lane.

It's a sky / baby blue Cinelli frame with carbon forks and rear stay. Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Easton wheels, white Fizik Arione saddle and Pro bars, stem and seat post.

We believe it is the only one in this colour in the country.

If anyone see's it please email. Reward offered

20090316_093823_IMGP1191.JPG

Similar the one pictured but with white saddle and bar tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

Where would be the best place to look for stolen bikes? Markets etc.
    Had my commuter stolen yesterday near Connolly station. It was a Peugeot frame'd 'frankenbike' but it rode like a dream and had a chrisking headset and rear hub. The bike has no real value but one of my co workers loves it and keeps trying to buy it off me and I'd like to give it to him to bring back home.
    So what would be the best places to scope out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Where would be the best place to look for stolen bikes? Markets etc.
    Had my commuter stolen yesterday near Connolly station. It was a Peugeot frame'd 'frankenbike' but it rode like a dream and had a chrisking headset and rear hub. The bike has no real value but one of my co workers loves it and keeps trying to buy it off me and I'd like to give it to him to bring back home.
    So what would be the best places to scope out?
    Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Jordan5372

Had my bike Stolen today in Ashbourne Village outside Murtaghs.

it has green pedals
    green grips
    White disc brakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lovebikes

Does everyone know you can bring your bike into Donnybrook and Irishtown Garda Station and have the serial number registered on their national pulse system? If the gardai find your bike they can get it back to you. It's started coz they have to sell hundreds of bikes they can't find an owner for every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

The Gardai had pulled over a young fella on a fixie this evening outside the Gingerman in Dublin 2 and were quizzing him on it. He didnt fit the typical profile of a fixie rider ;) Bike was white and blue. Thought i should mention it as it may be of help if somebodys went missing lately

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

Hi all,

Had my 900 euro mountain bike stolen from outside Murtaghs in Ashbourne on Monday afternoon at 4.20pm.

The bike was a trek 6 series with green pedals and green grips. I had it padlocked to a metal fence going around a tree. I was in Murtaghs for 2 minutes, i came out to find just a snapped lock.

Would you all keep a look out for me please? and let me know.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379817_288867681162216_100001169599622_740538_579707655_n.jpg

there is a link to a photo of the bike.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

I know its just another stolen bike, but if anyone sees this bike around i'd really really appreciate a heads up as it is the only one i have.

6848308205_399be7a733_b.jpg

Bought the frame seperately and built it up with new & old parts. Had it locked on South William Street opposite Grogans pub. Its a 58cm BMC CX02 with Mavic Aksium wheels, Full Shimano Ultegra 6600 Groupset, Mavic tyres 700x23, full set of mudguards, 3T alloy bars and stem, Specialized Alias saddle, Crank Brother Eggbeater pedals and a single bottlecage. Polar speedometer sensor and specialized saddlebag still on it too when the crook(s) ran away with it.

Been to the Guards too. Thanks again, Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

What kinda locks did you have on it?

Abus

• Advertisement

ba wrote: »
    Abus
    U-lock or coil? Did they cut through it/ smash it or pick it?

It was a very rigid steel coil lock with tungsten outer leaf. they must be carrying some machinery these days, looks like they chopped through it, clean cut, no signs of fraying from hack-saw...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ba wrote: »
    It was a very rigid steel coil lock with tungsten outer leaf. they must be carrying some machinery these days, looks like they chopped through it, clean cut, no signs of fraying from hack-saw...

I could cut them with a bolt cutters. No machinery involved.

Anything other then a semi decent U lock/semi decent chain is useless in Dublin these days.

BX 19 wrote: »
    I could cut them with a bolt cutters. No machinery involved.

Anything other then a semi decent U lock/semi decent chain is useless in Dublin these days.

I use a magnum U-lock and kryptonite evolution mini to lock my bikes, having had 2 bikes stolen when I had a 50+ euro coil lock. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

Maybe it is the same scumbag(s) that are taking the bikes. Maybe if at least one person can track down a cctv near by and found a reg of a van or something we all might be in with a chance. My lock to was a very clean cut.

i've asked to guys in eurocycles of Sth William St to check their cctv footage...will know soon if a van is involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lando_w

hi there, a friend suggested i post here about my bike that was stolen last night (13/2/12), if anyone sees it they can send me a pm here. thanks

giant escape R1, same model as the picture below
    uhozj.jpg

had black plastic mudguards fitted
    fairly noticaeable red sidewall armadillos
    fittings for 2 front lights, 1 rear light and cateye micro wireless

taken from the stand between charlies and the globe pub on georges street (across from DBS castle house)
    locked up at about 6 and was gone when i came out at 9.15. spoke to someone at the stand who said the bike was not there when he locked up about 7.

bike was locked with one of these which i had been led to believe was quite good, but is in fact a piece of **** (lesson learned there) as they cut through it pretty easily. looks like a simple bolt cutters did the trick.

any info can be passed to me or directly to pearse street garda station (need to figure out if i can post the pulse number on here)

thanks for your time.

Sorry to hear that man, nice bike, will keep an eye open for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lando_w

thanks ba, appreciate it.
    i managed to find an actual photo of my bike, which may help if it is spotted

U2Bwo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Sorry to hear about your bike, lando w.

Maybe we should watermark the Cycling page with the words "Cable Locks Help Thieves". They are a recurring theme in this thread.

Advertisement