Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N2 - Slane Bypass [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

tuathal wrote: »
    <snip>The people of Slane, belonging to that lynch mob, got what they deserve.

I'm not from Slane but as a Meath man, I demand a withdrawal of the above statement - it is IMO, bang out of order!

Firstly, you've done your usual and ignored my post above. When in doubt, change the subject and if you can attack someone else, even better.

Secondly, at least you can stop pretending to have any interest whatsoever in the "nasty group of people" in Slane.

Thirdly, I was reading over the beginning of this particular thread and I note someone, I think it was Spongebob, posted a link in which you admitted on another thread on this forum that you were a member of Save Newgrange. Funnily enough, there's a second link on this thread to another thread which deals with the personal attacks and censorship on the Save Newgrange Facebook site, something which was also dealt with in the newspapers.

"personall abuse, false accusations and aggresive behaviour" is right (except I'd have probably spelled a few words differently but hey, you're under stress) but not on the Slane peoples side.

You also seem to gloss over the fact that there are two distinct organisations in Slane working for the bypass. Once was set up after David Garvey's appalling death in 2000 and the other after this accident in 2009:

22694b47.jpg

8b7bbd34.jpg

Are they all Fianna Fail stooges?

Oh, and in your post above you refer to Fianna Fail, then to Labour, then to Fine Gael. So what you're saying is that there's cross-party support for the bypass.

Hmmm.

It's a miracle that no one was killed in that pile-up - I well remember seeing the pictures and stories of it back in 2009. Slane should have been bypassed years ago - simple as!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Permission has been denied. There isn't going to be a bypass, so you can sling all the mud you want SR and MYOB. It ain't sticking.

Oh, there'll be a bypass. Might be delayed by another year.

Care to retract your repeated claims I'm an "FF mouthpiece"? And maybe admit to being hilariously wrong in virtually every claim you made, such as it being a "motorway"?

You also seem to believe it was rejected for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with why it was rejected, and absolutely everything to do with your own inaccurate claims.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It also allows the N51 Road to be detrunked through and east of Slane and for HGV and Bus traffic to be banned in its entirety from the Village. I would also detrunk the entire N2 south of Ardee.

The Hill of Slane is also holy, not to tree huggers and crushties though.

But no amount of treehuggers, crushties and heritage nutters can ever make that old bridge safe so Slane needs a bypass and sadly the likes of Salafia and Sweetman don't care in the least about human beings and their concerns, isn't that right Tuathal.

When you think of what's happening in the case of Slane, Galway etc, our laws need a radical shake up - in cases such as Slane/Galway, narrow minded interests are thwarting the daily livelihoods of ordinary people by denying them infrastructure that is needed and is especially plain common sense. I think we need a system where in the event of a ruling/outcome that could be deemed (on reasonable grounds) undemocratic, a public jury would be called in to rule on any decision by ABP that a public body (with the backing of public representatives etc) complains against - such a jury would rule whether or not the decision was democratic - this would probably be done through the courts. A decision that is deemed undemocratic would then be rendered legally invalid (with immediate effect) and that another decision based on the same evidence (from the oral hearing etc) but under the recommendation of the courts would have to be taken by ABP.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not from Slane but as a Meath man, I demand a withdrawal the above statement - it is IMO, bang out of order!
    No, leave it up. If the OP is a member of Save Newgrange (from a road that goes nowhere near it) let the quote stay up so that everyone can see what their mentality is regarding think of Meath people.

I mean, he said what he thinks of you with that balderdash about "a solution that serves everyone" (but does very little for the people who have to live with it).
    He thinks you're all stupid enough to think that an HGV ban is going to solve all your problems, and an arrogant pitchfork wielding lynch mob when you show that you are not. Let everyone see who's got personal and has the agenda.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    No, leave it up. If the OP is a member of Save Newgrange (from a road that goes nowhere near it) let the quote stay up so that everyone can see what their mentality is regarding think of Meath people.

I mean, he said what he thinks of you with that balderdash about "a solution that serves everyone" (but does very little for the people who have to live with it).
    He thinks you're all stupid enough to think that an HGV ban is going to solve all your problems, and an arrogant pitchfork wielding lynch mob when you show that you are not. Let everyone see who's got personal and has the agenda.

Very true, I must say...

...and regarding a HGV ban on the Slane Bridge, all one needs to do is to look at a map and read the ABP Inspector's report to realize that such a ban is a complete nonsense - and would be so even if a new alternative was to be provided at either Drogheda or Navan given that local industry, agriculture, refuse services, deliveries (inc small trucks), removals etc would generate HGV traffic - at least some of which would surely need to cross the Boyne at Slane in order to avoid excessively long detours or the use of totally unsuitable bridges. What also needs to be considered are the steep gradients during wintery conditions which are obviously dangerous for cars let alone trucks.

A bypass will eventually happen IMO.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wow...I never knew that feelings ran so high on the issue of the Slane bypass. Will this become the M3-Tara of the 2010s?

As someone who has driven through Slane many times over the years, it is patently obvious that Slane needs a bypass. Even if the M1 at Drogheda was toll free and there was a HGV ban (which I think would be unworkable due to lack of alternative viable route) Slane would still require a bypass, given the age and condition of a bridge which is 400 years old and the highly dangerous approaches on steep gradients and at right angles to the substandard bridge - a bridge that could collapse if years of more HGV traffic lie ahead. If the N2 was detrunked and made into a regional route, Slane would still need a bypass.

There are times when the safety of human lives must take precedence over other considerations - such as the so-called "viewshed" of Bru Na Boinne and the Slane bypass is one of these.

A bypass is badly required and will be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SlaneMan

Tuatal is almost not worth responding to. The FF stuff is pretty funny. All of his arguments have been demolished by the inspectors report.

For me the key question is this:

Why did the board ignore their own inspectors request for further information on traffic movements and instead bring the entire process to a halt guaranteeing that the bypass will be delayed for many years?

The reason given was that the request for further information would have been beyond the scope of what could be reasonably addressed by a request for further information. This is hard to understand given that any request for further information would be a minor compared to the overall time spent on the proposal to date.

These are the board members

http://www.pleanala.ie/about/members.htm

It was defeated 3-1 and I have heard from a reliable source that one person changed their vote.

SlaneMan wrote: »
    Tuatal is almost not worth responding to. The FF stuff is pretty funny. All of his arguments have been demolished by the inspectors report.

For me the key question is this:

Why did the board ignore their own inspectors request for further information on traffic movements and instead bring the entire process to a halt guaranteeing that the bypass will be delayed for many years?

The reason given was that the request for further information would have been beyond the scope of what could be reasonably addressed by a request for further information. This is hard to understand given that any request for further information would be a minor compared to the overall time spent on the proposal to date.

These are the board members

http://www.pleanala.ie/about/members.htm

It was defeated 3-1 and I have heard from a reliable source that one person changed their vote.

I'd love to know who ABP are accountable to? One reason I think there's a need to introduce public juries (to review decisions/rulings) is to ensure that the institutions of the state are serving the general public interest - I seriouly don't think the rejection of the Slane Bypass was in the public interest and neither would a rejection of the Galway City Outer Bypass IMO - I feel the tourist took priority over the needs of the people in Slane and beyond (I predict many communities in Meath and Louth will also be affected if a HGV ban goes ahead).

The Slane Bypass is really not a matter of if, but when!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SlaneMan

The decision cannot be challenged however the validity of the process that was used to arrive at the decision can be challenged in the high court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

monument wrote: »
    Motor tax has no link to the building or upkeep of roads, and it clearly has no link to the use of roads. Road tax was abolished a long time ago.
    That's all true except for one part (but maybe I'm just not understanding your phrasing), and I was expressing my opinion that it's very unfair to oblige people to use a toll road where no even theoretically reasonable and free alternative is available. The part where I disagree with you is that motor tax is linked to the use of roads, in that if you do not use a motor vehicle for a period of time, e.g. a year then it no longer has to pay motor tax upon notification of the local authority. To be allowed to use a public road, a motor vehicle must have been taxed annually as well as pay VRT.
    Broached the topic in detail without having fairly basic details needed (ie the traffic study to show where HGVs are coming to and from).
    I maintain that a study was not needed to make all the conclusions the Inspector made. Common sense is enough to show that there is some clear prospect to CRH's quarry for either the bypass option or HGV ban option or both. I agree in principle though, a destination/origin traffic survey should have been carried out.

You are the one who had a problem with what he said (so did Slane Resident, but anyway). I was just explaining that he had said that it hand not been considered, and as I had only quoted him saying that, I then tried to explain that what he fairly clear means is that it has not been considered fully.

You have already correctly pointed out that it was somewhat or partly considered, so I'm not sure how you can take the inspector's words that it was not considered to literary mean it was not considered. What he means it was not considered fully -- that's the way ABP work, they don't like people half arsed looking at alternatives just because the NRA or whoever isn't interested in the alternatives.

But basically you want it every way here. When I quote the inspector's words literary without expanding you get annoyed, and you also get annoyed when I add context.
    Point taken, fair enough. Though I wouldn't exactly describe my posts as "getting annoyed":)

That is completely false.

The proposed bypass will intrude upon the World Heritage Site, directly. It will be visible, audible, and entail demolishing a number of archaeological sites that are related to Newgrange. In addition, it will detract greatly from the amenity value of the site and its setting, which is also protected in law. It will sever the World Heritage Site from the village.

That is why some of Ireland's leading archaeologists, like Professor George Eogan, think it could even result in the loss of World Heritage status.

But not only Ireland's leading archaeologists, but one of Ireland's leading transport experts, Dr Edward Morgenroth of the ESRI, has condemned this project as an "idiotic" waste of taxpayers money, when there is a much more logical and efficient solution to stopping all the HGVs passing through the village every day, avoiding the M1 toll. Implement the HGV ban that the Meath County Councillors voted for in 2009. If the HGVs are gone, there is no need for this bypass.

The NRA agreed with Morgenroth and cancelled the bypass in late April 2009, but then changed their mind, after a visit by Brian Cowen to Slane. Something very fishy going on planning-wise in Meath.

With 7 billion in cuts on the horizon, it is insance to keep building 'gold-plated' infrastructure like this. Look at the M3, with traffic 25% under target, and direct payments being made by the taxpayer to the tolling company, for another newroad that wasn't needed, when the old one could have been upgraded, and not tolled at all.

The Celtic Tiger is over...and sites like Newgrange are the only real thing that will keep money flowing into this country. Leave them alone...

I've dug up this post from a while back - I really find it interesting especially with the ABP inspector's report in mind. This whole thing about Brian Cowen and FF has also turned out to be complete nonsense - FG and Lab also gave their backing for the bypass - in fact, Leo Varadkar was said to have had money aside for land purchase if the bypass got the green light - it seems he wanted it to be shovel ready for 2016 onwards. Of course, the bypass had the backing of the local people in general - kind of important in what is supposed to be a democracy I would have guessed!

Must go now!

Despite the recent reclassification of some National Routes around the country, the N2 through Slane remains the N2 National Primary Route - this is in the context of the section of N52 from Ardee to Dundalk being totally downgraded (due to the presence of the N33 and M1 I'd imagine) - this does bode well for future prospects regarding the Slane Bypass eventually coming to fruition.

Regards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Despite the recent reclassification of some National Routes around the country, the N2 through Slane remains the N2 National Primary Route - this is in the context of the section of N52 from Ardee to Dundalk being totally downgraded (due to the presence of the N33 and M1 I'd imagine) - this does bode well for future prospects regarding the Slane Bypass eventually coming to fruition.

Regards!
    Doesn't change the fact that the N2 should still be downgraded through here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tuathal

According to today's Irish Times, there will be no judicial review of the decision of An Bord Pleanala to deny planning permission for the Slane bypass, and no alternative route proposed by Meath County Council. The Slane bypass has been completely abandoned.

Instead, the Council and the NRA are looking at introducing a long overdue HGV ban.

The locals were playing Russian Roullette with the ban, at the bequest of the NRA. Locals had always campaigned for both a HGV ban and a bypass. The NRA couldn't allow the ban to go into place, before planning was granted, because it would have reduced the traffic numbers through the village, and therefore negated the need for the bypass. This is bourne out by the timeline of events.

ghgvban.jpg

4 April 2009 – Locals protest for HGV ban in Slane

On 04 April, 2009, RTE reported that local protests had stopped traffic in the village of Slane:

Around 70 protestors blocked traffic through Slane this morning to highlight their campaign to have heavy goods vehicles banned from the Co Meath village.

9 April 2009 – Councillors unanimously vote for HGV ban

A few days later, on 9 April 2009, Meath County Councillors voted to implement a Heavy Goods Vehicle (HGV) ban in Slane – as reported in the Meath Chronicle story entitled – Slane pile up: Cllrs take first step to ban HGVs.
    The motion to ban HGVs travelling north-south through the village was put to the floor and unanimously passed. Standing orders were suspended at Monday”s council meeting to discuss the issue and a motion put forward by Cllr Ann Dillon Gallagher calling for trucks travelling north-south through the village to be banned received the unanimous support of her fellow councillors.

9 April 2009 – Minister Dempsey says he will “actively facilitate” HGV ban in Slane

The Meath Chronicle also reported on 9 April 2009 that Minister Noel Dempsey said that the Department of Transport and National Roads Authority “would actively facilitate a HGV ban in the village“.

April 2009 – Bypass Slane Campaign Forms

The Bypass Slane Campaign is led by Fianna Fail Cllr Wayne Harding, who was elected in the June 2009 elections, and Thomas Byrne, TD for Meath. The group had been hurriedly formed in April 2009, a month before the elections, and the address of the group is the Village Inn in Slane, the premises owned and operated by Cllr Harding, who also uses it for his constituency office.

20 May 2009 – NRA tells councillors no funding for bypass

The NRA then informed Slane councillors by letter that there was no funding for the bypass in a 20 May 2009 meeting with Slane Electoral Area councillors, which was reported in The Meath Chronicle on 27 May 2009- . Incredulity in Slane as NRA says no funds for bypass:
    In its explanation for a pause in progress on the construction of a bypass – delivered to councillors at the Slane Electoral Area meeting last Wednesday – the NRA said the Government”s national transport infrastructure investment programme, Transport 21, provided the framework for the development of the national road network over the 10-year period from 2006 to 2015. It said that, under the plan, the initial focus of the authority”s programme of works would concentrate on the completion of the five major inter-urban routes linking Dublin to Cork, Waterford, Limerick, Galway and Northern Ireland (via the M1) to motorway/high quality carriageway standard.

The plan anticipated the completion of these routes in their entirety by the end of 2010. Transport 21 also envisaged significant development of other key national primary roads, including the N2, N3, N4, N5, N21, N22, N24, N25 and N30, the Atlantic Road Corridor from Letterkenny through Sligo, Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford, as well as a number of national secondary routes which were identified in the plan as being particularly important for regional development, it said. Because of this, and the continued uncertainty regarding public finances, the NRA regretted that ‘it is not possible at this time to provide funding for the construction of the N2 Slane Bypass’.

The Minutes of the Slane Electoral Area May Monthly Meeting, which took place at the Chamber Duleek Civic Offices on Wednesday 20thMay 2009, states as follows:
    7.0 Correspondence / Issues raised by the Area Manager

The following items of correspondence were circulated and noted by the Members:

7.1 Letter from NRA stating in essence that it was not possible to provide funding at this stage for the construction of the N2 Slane Bypass.

The Members unanimously expressed extreme disappointment with the contents of this letter. Cllr Cudden suggested that that the five area Members contact the area’s TDs and Senator in an effort to progress the delivery of this vital piece of infrastructure.

The Area Manager advised the Members that they raise this issue at the Full Council meeting to discuss the Slane LAP on the 25th May.

25 May 2009 – Taoiseach Brian Cowen and Dempsey met Bypass Slane Campaign

The leader of Fianna Fail, Taoiseach, Brian Cowen was welcomed to Slane on 25 May 2009 by Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey, and his local Fianna Fail allies, Thomas Byrne TD and Cllr-to-be Wayne Harding. This was part of the Fianna Fail European and local election campaign.

The Taoiseach came to Slane to support the candidates running in the local elections in Meath and South Louth.

9 July 2009 – County Manager announces he cannot implement the HGV ban

On 09 July 2010 The Meath Chronicle reported that the County Manager, Tom Dowling, said he could not implement the ban, for commercial and legal reasons, according to a ‘report’ circulated to councillors, on the implications of the HGV ban:
    The banning of heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) from the streets of Slane could have huge financial consequences for Meath County Council in terms of possible exposure to legal claims, delays to deliveries and business frustration, a council official said this week. The report reaches the conclusion that the banning of HGVs would have national and international implications and, if implemented, could have serious consequences for the council in terms of possible legal exposure, delivery delays and business frustration. ‘

As it is the general duty of the NRA under the Roads Act to secure the provision of a safe and effective network of national roads, it is considered the responsibility of the NRA to have the above mentioned study carried out in order to ascertain the full impacts that such a ban would have on Slane, the county in general, and settlements and infrastructure in other jurisdictions.

It should be noted that Meath County Council is fully supportive of a HGV ban in the village and is willing to work with the NRA in the implementation of whatever proposals that emerge from the study.’

15 July 2009 – NRA announces reversal of Slane bypass decision

On 15 July 2009 the NRA announced to the Transport Committee that they had changed their mind and wished to proceed with the N2 Slane Bypass, as planned:
    The National Roads Authority believes that Slane should be bypassed on economic, environmental and safety grounds. The planning is well advanced and the compulsory purchase order, CPO, and environmental impact statement, EIS, documentation will be available to submit to An Bord Pleanála by October this year. Subject to Department of Finance approval, CPO and EIS applications will be submitted to An Bord Pleanála as soon as the documentation is ready.

This was a complete turn-around by the NRA, and there is no doubt that there had been an intervention at Cabinet level, to secure the funding for the bypass.

On 15 July 2009, Meath County Manager, Tom Dowling also made a presentation to the Oireachtas Committee on Transport, along with the NRA and Bypass Slane campaign, alleging that the HGV ban in Slane would be unworkable:
    A resolution to implement a ban on HGVs travelling north-south through Slane on the N2 was passed by the elected members at the council meeting on 6 April 2009.

A report was circulated to the full council on 6 July 2009 on the potential implications that such a ban would have and I fully support the elected representatives in their desire to ban HGVs through Slane. However, it would be remiss of me not to draw attention to the fact that whereas the banning of HGVs from Slane will resolve some of the problems associated with the inadequacy of the existing route, it may well create a multiplicity of other problems.

These will have wide ranging impacts which will extend beyond the borders of County Meath, largely because of the need to give HGV drivers, who would otherwise pass through Slane, sufficient warning so that they can plan alternative routes.

The banning of HGVs in Slane may have wider implications which could have serious consequences for Meath County Council in terms of possible legal exposure, delivery delays and business frustration. These should not be dismissed lightly and could also apply to other affected local authorities and agencies. Apart from the impact on the local commercial interests, any restriction of HGVs through Slane could bring significant local difficulties for the residents along other roads, villages and towns that diverted vehicles would use to avoid Slane and minimise journey times.

In addition, the use of these local roads by HGVs could result in the rapid and serious deterioration of the local road infrastructure and increase the risk of accidents. Consequently, it is vital to consider this matter carefully and to ensure that whatever we do will be done in the proper manner.

Then Fine Gael Spokesperson on Transport, Deputy Fergus O’Dowd, said:
    A resolution has been passed by the county council. As the elected Members have called for it, notwithstanding everything the county manager said, I presume the position is he must effect that policy now.

The County Manager responded that “Obviously it is a reserved function to pass the resolution and so on, which has been done. While the resolution has been passed, members are aware that one must find a way to implement such a resolution.” Deputy O’Dowd responded:
    However, the law states the local authority must do it. It does not have a choice because the council has passed a resolution and its officials must carry that through.

8 December 2009 – Dempsey cuts national roads programme – not Slane bypass

On 8 December 2009, with the financial crisis deepening, the Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey, announced that there were to be severe cuts to the national roads programme – as reported on 9 December 2009, The Irish Times – Major road plans put on hold due to cutbacks.
    MORE THAN a decade of budget allocations to begin major road schemes is expected to come to a close today, when reductions in annual funding for the National Roads Authority (NRA) are announced by Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan. For the first time since December 1999 the roads authority is not planning to match its budget allocation with early announcements of new road schemes to go to construction within 12 months.

The N2 Ahsbourne to Ardee, which is to link on both north and south ends of the Slane bypass, was “suspended,” but the bypass itself has miraculously kept its funding.

15 December 2010 – Public consultation for Slane bypass begins

The following week, on 15 December 2009, a public notice announcing the selection of the preferred route for the N2 Slane bypass, and the Compulsory Purchase Order for the land along the route, was published in national newspapers.

At the oral hearing, the Council and the NRA refused to give copies of the study that had been performed, which stated the HGV an was unworkable. However, they were forced to produce it. And it was a joke.

Now, there is really going to be a proper study done, for the first time, on actually implementing the HGV ban. About bloody time!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There won't be any HGV ban implemented as there isn't a suitable alternative route.

There'll be a new application put in for the bypass in time - this does not require a judicial review or, indeed, another route.

MYOB wrote: »
    There won't be any HGV ban implemented as there isn't a suitable alternative route.

There'll be a new application put in for the bypass in time - this does not require a judicial review or, indeed, another route.

Thanks for your opinion, and you may well be right about them not implementing a ban, but I find it hard to believe that local residents, and all of Meath County Councillors would have campaigned for, and voted for, something that was impossible.

We'll see what the new studies say, assuming they are independently performed.

Otherwise, it will be years before there is a bypass application - and anyone being injured in the village in the meantime will have a good cause of action against the council, for failing to take reasonable measures to protect the health and safety of drivers and pedestrians.

Tuathal - for some reason, the words strawman and troll come to mind when I read your posts.

A HGV ban at Slane is unworkable. It has been shown that much of the HGV traffic at Slane is generated locally and therefore cannot be redirected via the M1 bridge at Drogheda.

IMO the only workable solution is a bypass of Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

JupiterKid wrote: »
    A HGV ban at Slane is unworkable. It has been shown that much of the HGV traffic at Slane is generated locally and therefore cannot be redirected via the M1 bridge at Drogheda.
    where "has it been shown" ?

the investigation into a HGV ban (or even a partial one for long distance toll dodging truckers!) has not been performed - and incidentally this lack of any survey is one of the main reasons that an bord planala rejected the application for the by pass.

Thanks for your opinion, and you may well be right about them not implementing a ban, but I find it hard to believe that local residents, and all of Meath County Councillors would have campaigned for, and voted for, something that was impossible.

Otherwise, it will be years before there is a bypass application - and anyone being injured in the village in the meantime will have a good cause of action against the council, for failing to take reasonable measures to protect the health and safety of drivers and pedestrians.

I'd counter that anyone injured can look at an inexplicable ABP decision more than anything else.

Have you realised yet that the reasons it was rejected don't tie, at all, with what you came on here and claimed it was rejected for? E.g. have you actually read the decision yet?

• Advertisement

where "has it been shown" ?

the investigation into a HGV ban (or even a partial one for long distance toll dodging truckers!) has not been performed - and incidentally this lack of any survey is one of the main reasons that an bord planala rejected the application for the by pass.

I was under the impression that Meath County Council had carried out a traffic survey in and around Slane some years ago.

The N2 has always had a high proportion of its traffic in the form of HGVs. I'm sure that a substantial amount of HGV traffic using Slane is dodging the M1 toll but if a HGV ban is deemed to be workable then why wasn't it implemented once the M1 Drogheda bypass was opened almost a decade ago?

Tuathal - for some reason, the words strawman and troll come to mind when I read your posts.

Hi Kid, Making personal attacks really weakens your already weak and unsupported opinions. Insults aren't arguments.

I'd counter that anyone injured can look at an inexplicable ABP decision more than anything else.

Have you realised yet that the reasons it was rejected don't tie, at all, with what you came on here and claimed it was rejected for? E.g. have you actually read the decision yet?

Sounds like sour grapes to me. I am afraid your post is very jumbled, and difficult to respond to. First you say it is inexplicable. Then you say you know why it was rejected, and its not the reasons I gave.

I actually don't recall giving any reasons, other than the ones in the paper - ie because of the importance of the World Heritage Site it is vital that all alternatives be examined, and they weren't.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. I am afraid your post is very jumbled, and difficult to respond to. First you say it is inexplicable. Then you say you know why it was rejected, and its not the reasons I gave.

I actually don't recall giving any reasons, other than the ones in the paper - ie because of the importance of the World Heritage Site it is vital that all alternatives be examined, and they weren't.

Sounds like denial to me

Read your posts on the day of the rejection and see how few of them even resemble the reality of the report. You were lording it over, accusing people of being FF (still) and acting as if they'd decided it was running over the top of Newgrange.

Telling MCC to reconsider - and return showing there are no other routes that are suitable - isn't anywhere close to what you wanted, or what you seemed to believe the result was.

Hi Kid, Making personal attacks really weakens your already weak and unsupported opinions. Insults aren't arguments.

You may have wanted to think of that before accusing half the forum of being FF patsies. Now you've done that, you've rather used your ammo on that. Take what you give or don't give in the first place.

+1

...and who is to say that laws or state institutions cannot be changed tuathal? Just because ABP can block infrastructure does not mean that ABP are invincible - just because the law now says that the Slane Bypass cannot now go ahead does not mean that the law itself can't be changed. When a law fails to do justice or fails to serve the people, then there's an increased likelihood of legislative amendment whether it's sooner or later!

+1

...or soap-boxing!

I've this to ask:

1) Have you looked at a detailed map covering the Boyne Valley from Navan to Drogheda (the OS Discovery Maps #42 & #43 are perfect IMO)? This might shed light on why a HGV ban would be unworkable!

2) Have you driven on the N2 Southbound through Slane in a car (let alone a HGV) - if so, did you not notice how steep the street was let alone the approach road towards the bridge? Even in a car, it's dangerous!

3) Are campaigners like you not responsible for anything that might happen in Slane in the medium to long term (the time the bypass might have been operational)?

Have you read all of the ABP Inspector's report??? :confused:

• Advertisement

You may have wanted to think of that before accusing half the forum of being FF patsies. Now you've done that, you've rather used your ammo on that. Take what you give or don't give in the first place.

+10! :)

Advertisement