Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Do much in the newspaper?

Yup. In the end did a good bit of graphic design, ads and stuff. I enjoyed that alot....its made me consider a career as a graphic designer :D

Oh, and I fell in love with using Apple MacPro's also :o

jb91- ONE day in a charity shop?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

jb91- ONE day in a charity shop?!
    Yeah, the radio station could only take me for 4 days and the school organise work experience in a charity shop for any days you can't get anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I can only do 4 days in the Library as its only open 4 days, only found out late though[Thursday],had though I would be able to do it on saturday as well,.Ty Ordinator said no point in trying to get place for just 1 day ,so day off on monday then :D

Anyone considering doing placement in photographers? Thinking about this for my second placement next year.

I didnt do any wednesdays....they said there would be no point in me being there- they have meetings all day

A guy in TY in my school went to a photographers. Only worked every third day, apparently

Started mine in Library today. Was ok, nothing exicting,tbh would have prefered to be in school! Basically stacking books in alphabetical order in the Library stock building all day[all week most likely] .Bit dissapointed I'm there till 5 each day[most others doing work experience finished around 2/3] but suppose can't complain- was off yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I can only do 4 days in the Library as its only open 4 days, only found out late though[Thursday],had though I would be able to do it on saturday as well,.Ty Ordinator said no point in trying to get place for just 1 day ,so day off on monday then :D

Anyone considering doing placement in photographers? Thinking about this for my second placement next year.

Yeh, I'm tryin to get week with a landscape photographer. Didn't think I'd get anywhere but i think i might have got someone:D So far nothing else i wanted has worked out. Although, I think I might have a week with a video editor as well, not as sure about this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Scoobydooo

im doing one week in microsoft and the other in some pharmaceutical company ! :D:D

Do let us know how the week in Microsoft goes......... (Like the username btw!

Trying to get into Microsoft for second one,you wouldn't have any contacts you could share with me would you Scobbydooo?

Library was meh. Boring, but no real work involved- just alot of bending to put books in place all day. At least I got a taste of the job though- worth the week just for that.

In likely event I don't get into mircosoft for second week, I'm hoping to get a placement at a film production comapny, or a photographers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

jb91 wrote: »
    I posted the letters last Friday... And I wrote to every good paper in Dublin and Wicklow

Irish Times :) I got a week there at the end of last year along with 2 girls from Alexandra College and one lad from St. Andrews, so you could get a placement there. If you do decide to go for it, make sure to contact Janet Stafford.

It's a great experience as well, btw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I myself am working in the Pro Shop of Cahir Park Golf Course...should be boring but will lead to a job there in the summer..haha...what are ye doing...the one that is chosen most in my T.Y class is probably people wanting to work in chemists..most of them arent even smart enuff !!!:D:D,,,not sayin that im SMRT or atin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

lol

I did a week in East Coast FM and another in a market reasearch office.

Have another week to organise in March and have no idea what I'm doing for that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

i was in the national archives and while i was there eddie hobbs was filming thing bout his family history, jealous much lol.

second week i was with a solicitor and on the last day got to go to district court and see loads of scumbags lol they were sooo ewwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Modette

Does ANYBODY know where i can get work experience in the Art and Design field, preferably photography??? I cant find any anywhere:eek:!! ive gotton negative replies to every1 ive emailed! im doing a fetac level 5 certificate in art and design and my work experience starts in april and lasts for 2 weeks..if anyboby could even post a link to a companys website so i can email them, that would be great. THANKS!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

Did anybody ever do anything in the airport? A guy my mam used to teach done experience with Delta Airlines and liked it..

Did anybody ever do anything in the airport? A guy my mam used to teach done experience with Delta Airlines and liked it..

I think it would be cool,,Twud be very awkward though. Going to an airport ,,Getting parking...:pac::pac:

Being an avid aviation enthusiast i tried getting into Shannon......nope tho

never mind parking.......security issues. you could be anyone in their eyes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

Theres a bus from where I live to rite outside departures :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Archebald

i went to a pharmacy it was actually really gud did mostly tablet stuff and workin behind the counter ,and now im goin to a agricultural engineer nxt week ,,cant wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 magic&fireworks

I went to Clonmel hospital last week, I'm in an office this week.
    Office sucks, but I loved the hospital!
    I'm surprised they took me on, like it is a hospital!
    Definitely decided now I'm gonna do nursing, which is great!
    =]

• Advertisement

I went to Clonmel hospital last week, I'm in an office this week.
    Office sucks, but I loved the hospital!
    I'm surprised they took me on, like it is a hospital!
    Definitely decided now I'm gonna do nursing, which is great!
    =]

That is good yes...:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

i worked in dublin airport last year for my wrk exp...it was class and you get to meet aload of famous people like the irish soccer team and westlife etc

callaway92 wrote: »
    That is good yes...:pac::pac::pac:

It is.
    ****ing office is so boring. Last day tomorrow thanks be to ****!
    :D

Omg this site blocks out swear words?
    Lmao xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sabrina411

hopefully working in a solicitiors office..dont no yet...only had my ty interview yesterday! Dont even no if i got in!!

So your in 3rd year...Ah the good ol' days...Some dossss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Archebald

omg i went to a mechanic for my work exp and it was the best week ever i had loads of fun ,,,,and it was just brill

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Anyone got any good ideas?

Anyone got any experience about past WEs?

Anyone know who pays? :D

We've gpt 4 weeks to do 3 placements, dunno the dates yet, but looking for ideas. Want good ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

What kind of work would you be interested in doing?

Ask yourself this, then act on it!

Don't focus on which job will pay you, sure it'd be nice to get a reward at the end, but that's not what the work experience is about.

Most people in TY have never worked a day in their life (studies etc excluded, obviously) and work experience is about experience not pay.

Make a list of the things you're interested in and the jobs you'd like to try out then try and find some places to match with the list, you can post it on here if you want some help!

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lemon*juice

i really have no cluse what i want to do when i leave school but for work experience i wrote to 2 bookshops, gamestop, microsoft, google, gardi, nd i wuz gonna write to a creche or somthing like that. i hope i get somthing in a shop because it could help with a sumer job.:pac:

Advertisement