Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

callans kicks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Serves 'em right. There seems to be a collective amnesia amongst the Irish media luvvies about "that thing". It's about time somebody mentioned it, even in a satirical way.

I thought want to sound completely heartless and unforgiving, but I agree with Harry.. :p The sketch was certainly very cutting, and I'm sure the family wont appreciate it.

Also, it seemed like he felt he had to shoehorn in an actual image of Rachel Allen ... the infamous hunting photo she posted on facebook, and then had to withdraw for fear of being hunted herself.

story_19102_19102-xlarge.jpg

I thought that was sort of cheating. If the sketch was strong enough, then he shouldnt have needed to do this.

BsS0rSfIUAAZOEf.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Thanks to the atrocity that was Mario's TV show lowering my expectations I was pleasantly surprised by this! Not a big fan of Callan but there was enough here to warrant sticking with it. It was about 50/50 hit and miss, whereas Mario was around 5/95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mario is in a completely different class, ....... and the material.

Must be worse than dire then, as Rosenstocks show was absolutely awful.
    but I liked the way he rang Joe Duffy instead of ringing The Guards.

So he's stealing his material from the Liveline thread regulars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

This is awful so awful. Im cringing. The Royals sketch is horrendous and so out of date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Callan's Prince Charles impersonation reminded me more of CJ Haughey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Sooooooo bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Callan should stick to radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 carl_weathers

its better than the mario show which got two series so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

its better than the mario show which got two series so far

Good man Oliver, hows things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

This is awful so awful. Im cringing. The Royals sketch is horrendous and so out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Not a patch on last week's show. The Royal Family sketch was laboured but Marty Morrissey still makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PISSING myself laughing at Paul Galvin ! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    PISSING myself laughing at Paul Galvin ! :D:D:D

Didn't Callan and Galvin have a real fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Have to admit Galvin and Marty Morrisey made me lol this week, Galvin was ****ing brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

The Galvin sketch was good. The Royals went on a bit too long. I think he is very talented. Looking forward to "Nicky Byrne".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Thargor wrote: »
    Have to admit Galvin and Marty Morrisey made me lol this week, Galvin was ****ing brilliant.

The Galvin one was priceless :D Hope we see more of those.

The other sketches are pretty hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I watched the earlier episode, your one doing Amy Hubernan had her spot on.
    Enda Kenny good too.
    The Royal one was pure dung.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Joan Burton and Enda Kenny sketches are the best.

It is an enjoyable half hour.

Havent seen the most recent episode as I was working last nite.. But I heard him during the week on with Mooney, and his Marty Morrissey is incredible.. I'd never heard him doing Marty before this particular series, but listening to him on the radio you would actually think it was the man himself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Didn't Callan and Galvin have a real fight?

Yep. Which is why Callan has him in his cross hairs no doubt. :D

His Marty Morrissey was spot on too. Mario does him well, but Callan makes more of an effort with the hair and the forehead and the mad eyebrows and the fake tan, so he gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

The 6 one news is really good, the one doing Sharon ni Bheolain is spot on.

Marty, Paul Galvin very good although the bride-to-be needs to be a good bit more glam though to look anything like Louise Duffy.

Liked Bod and Amy but like the Royals, the sketch needed to be shorter.

Like Leo and the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

MrsD007 wrote: »

At first, I thought it was supposed to be Enda Kenny.

Whole show is woeful, outdated sh1te, and RTE have the nerve to repeat it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

I was expecting complete dung but have to admit the show has its moments. Galvin, Kenny, dobbo, Marty and the Rachel Allen sketches have so far been great and the Walkinstown Dead was brilliantly shot and produced even if bits didn't quite hit the mark. I loved DeadRingers back in the day on BBC and while it's not quite that standard, it's not that bad either. That's surprising coming from RTE! How long though before he pisses off one of our overlords and the show is quietly killed?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just watched Friday night's episode...

Not as funny as the previous week, I think the 'Wreck-It Reilly' sketches have already run their course.

And as posters have already said, the Royal Family sketch went on a bit too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Aye it was a big enough drop in quality from the first episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The problem with these sort of shows always seems to be that they try to stretch out the jokes for far too long. A three minute sketch were a one-minute one would do.

I know there's costs involved etc. but it was a problem with Rosenstock and it seems to be an issue here too.

Also Callan's impersonations are good but the writing could do with being tighter - again a budget issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

MrsD007 wrote: »

That's who I thought it was meant to be.

The Imelda May stuff is terrible. Cringe inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone see his digs at Waterford in the 2 episodes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 IrishGary

god i really cant stand this guy...is it just me that thinks all of his 'impressions' sounds nothing like the people he is supposed to be doing?? so lazy of rte to have two clowns doing essentially the same thing...and both poorly..the worst sign of what callan does is that at the start of nearly every impression he says who he is supposed to be...the impression isnt good enough to stand by itself...'hi im paul galvin and bla bla bla' LAZY LAZY RTE but do we expect anything less from them at this stage...Mario and Oliver take a look at Apres Match because neither of ye are worthy to tie their sandels

Advertisement