Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how much did you pay for alterations?

• 18-07-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought a fab sample dress at a great price which I am chuffed about!! The dress is around a 12-14 and i am a 10-12ish (depending on the shop!).

Just wondering how much is the norm to pay for alterations? I would need to obviously have the fitting down to my size, probably taken up a little and fitted properly around bust!

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I also bought my dress in a sample sale and the shop I bought it in quoted €120 for the alterations.
    I took it elsewhere and they cost €36.
    I had the train removed and the dress taken up a few inches, I also had it taken in a little around the bust.
    This was in a teeny tiny alterations place who don't normally do wedding dresses but she did a perfect job for a fraction of the price the bridal shop wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

wow thats great just shows you really need to shop around!! The bridal shop where i bought my dress gave me the number of the lady they use and said it could cost between 100-150!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

I'm getting my alternations done by a local woman who did the alternations for my friend's wedding. Ask friends and family someone will know someone and save yourself a fortune.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Bobsammy wrote: »
    I also bought my dress in a sample sale and the shop I bought it in quoted €120 for the alterations.
    I took it elsewhere and they cost €36.
    I had the train removed and the dress taken up a few inches, I also had it taken in a little around the bust.
    This was in a teeny tiny alterations place who don't normally do wedding dresses but she did a perfect job for a fraction of the price the bridal shop wanted.

Wow, could you please PM me with this ladys details?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Sure, I'll have to get them off my mother but I'll pm you later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I was similar to you. Bought a 12-14 in a sample size and got it taken in and up to be a 10. Cost €120. Afterwards I thought I probably should have tried to bargain, just I was expecting it to cost more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Mine cost 90 euro and that was for taking in about an inch and adding a bustle.

e120 is a good price i wouldve thought, great to hear it can be done cheaper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

200 in the end :(
    was quoted around 150 at the start but it turned out to be lots of work because there were so many layers and lace had to be taken off and re-sewn at the hem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

125. I bought in a sale and was quoted 120 at the time. It was taken in a size, a button was replaced and a lingerie strap thing added. Dress was perfect though so I couldn't complain. I also thought it'd be more so was OK to pay that. MIL recommended the woman and it was something I had been putting off in case I got a dodgy person so yay it turned out fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Has anyone had problems getting their dresses altered? My mother inexplicably and irrationally thinks I'll have difficulty getting my dress (a standard boned strapless bodice without much detail at all) altered and she won't believe me that professionals are well used to altering all sorts of wedding dresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Faith wrote: »
    Has anyone had problems getting their dresses altered? My mother inexplicably and irrationally thinks I'll have difficulty getting my dress (a standard boned strapless bodice without much detail at all) altered and she won't believe me that professionals are well used to altering all sorts of wedding dresses.

I had no problem and my seamstress said my (lace) dress was unusual and awkward as it had boning in places that don't usually have boning but she still had no problem. Any professional seamstress with experience in wedding dresses will have no problems. If you're in Cork I can PM you the name of my seamstress?

thanks everyone, good to get an idea of general prices!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh yes please! I am in Cork (for the moment, anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Faith wrote: »

Best way to sort that is to bring it to a seamstress. She'll tell you yes or no (obviously it'll be a yes for most professionals). They alter almost every type of wedding dress these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Not sure where you are based and perhaps its too far but my wifes dress alterations cost €40 that was in a small shop in Loughrea, Galway. she bought the dress from a charity shop in Cork it was brand new and only paid €70 for it so her whole dress inc alterations was only €110

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I think mine cost about 80 euro. I got it done in the Alterations Centre on South Anne Street in Dublin and they were amazing! I was gonna go with a 'bridal' seamstress but was up to my eyes and none of them were that close to me so looked up some reviews and decided to go with a place in town. I really can't say enough great things about them! Plus they didn't even charge me when I went back the day before the wedding cos I'd somehow managed to lose weight in a week and my dress was way too big across my chest! Plus they had it done in a hour.

I think mine cost about 80 euro. I got it done in the Alterations Centre on South Anne Street in Dublin and they were amazing! I was gonna go with a 'bridal' seamstress but was up to my eyes and none of them were that close to me so looked up some reviews and decided to go with a place in town. I really can't say enough great things about them! Plus they didn't even charge me when I went back the day before the wedding cos I'd somehow managed to lose weight in a week and my dress was way too big across my chest! Plus they had it done in a hour.

really cookiecakes, i was thinking of just going to a normal alterations place as i was wondering if the 'bridal' alteration places were just a rip off, did you need to get much done originally with the dress?

Yeah my dress was miles too big for me when I got it back and it was super detailed with lots of lace so any mistakes would have really shown up if they'd made a balls of it. I honestly can't recommend them highly enough. My dress was flawless even if I do say so myself :)

oh wow I must get a price off them, E80 would be deadly!!

• Advertisement

Deffo go in and see what they say! They are super straight forward and there was no messing around. I was expecting a couple of hundred so I was shocked when they gave me the quote! Plus they did an amazing job on my bridesmaids dresses too!!

Advertisement