Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help for Skyrim Novice

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Im a late comer to this game, and also a noob. Haven't played Oblivion and only started Skyrim last night. Had a read through the forum and there's some great tips

Just a quick question, when you collect books do you need to keep a certain type like the history of so & so, or just sell them on.

I have a good few and have learned a few spells from them

But dont want to be carrying around a load of books when i dont need them....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no need to keep them, read, get spell or skill upgrade and just dump. most are not even worth holding on to and selling as they are worth so little.

Another question, is there a certain area of the map i should avoid until i level up more? Im only on lvl 10, but went into Broken Fang Cave i think its called and had my ass handed to me by a vampire.

Im thinking maybe i should stay central before venturing off to new areas

any of the cities are fine, out southeast is good for some early levels. You can get lots of gold from one of the mines, and an easy enough mission to clear it out.
    avoid any vampires and magic wielders early on as they tend to be a bit tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Giants are a very friendly lot. Go over and say hi!

• Advertisement

No Thanks!!

Shot an arrow at one of them thinking they would be easy to take, one smack and i was dead, sent me flying into the air

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Baz, as a starter, get yourself a follower asap. They provide backup during fights and can carry additional items for use or selling as you clear an area.
    Build up your gold and get your first property as soon as you can, the game becomes a lot easier if you have somewhere to stash goods for future use/ sale rather than dumping them because you can't sell them or need carry capacity.
    Read every book you come across in case they contain level ups. You'll come to recognise titles already read and can ignore or pickup only for sale then. Spell books are marked as such so you definately take/read them. duplicates are worth more in resale.
    Keep harvesting ingredients/foods and start stashing them in your houses if you can't make use of them straight away with alchemy. you an always come back to use them later in the game.
    Same with soul gems, metals & ores.
    You'll find certain enemies are just impossible to begin with, I had a big problem with one bridge fort for ages. Boy did I enjoy going back there later in the game seriously levelled up with weapons, armour & magic and kicked the living snot out of them. Unless they are important to a mission, avoid them until stronger. If you can't avoid, stealth is your friend.

Thanks for that Paulbok. Unfortunately two of my followers died - Lydia & Uthgerd

Ive been reading around and people recommended Mjoll (i think thats her name, based in Riften) apparently she cannot die and is the dogs balls. I just recruited her last night after i retrieved her sword. See how i get on, im on a fairly decent lvl 21

I can get through most enemies fine, im actually suprised at how easy it is to kill dragons

Really enjoying this game, it will get me through until the 29th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Recently picked up Skyrim on the back of how long i have had to wait for a new Fallout game, and im really loving it i must say.

Im not feeling the whole magic thing though, is it possible to progress without really focusing on that area of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Im not feeling the whole magic thing though, is it possible to progress without really focusing on that area of the game?

Yes. Like Fallout you can play Skyrim as any kind of character you want; in fact you'll soon realise that it's pretty much impossible to 'specialize' in all things at once. My first playthrough I was a typical axe-wielding brute, this time around I've made an effort to grow the magic abilities. That said, a basic skill level in all fields (magic, sneaking, speech etc.) is very useful and very achievable in the game.

• Advertisement

A lot of magic is very weak and useless at the start so relying on it can make for a much harder (and potentially more fun) game. The healing side of it is well worth building up though!

archer mage is a favourite class of mine :) - sneaking around doing obscene damage with the upped sneak skills and finish anyone off with a bit of lightning or fire :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Always play elder scrolls as a Breton as they're a good all rounder skills wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Can I ask, what makes for a more interesting game, joining the legion or the Stormcloaks?

Would joining the Companions prevent you from joining either?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

you can join the companions and it wont have an impact on either faction, both are pretty much the same - stormcloaks and the other one, just different headquarters and leaders - you can actually choose not to choose and kill everyone, which is what i did anytime i seen them out in the wilds on oneof my playthroughs. But i generally went with the stormcloaks as i was being executed with them at the start anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have chose both sides and like fallout annoyed that the factions i like dont continure (brotherhood, nightinggales, companions)

Stormcloaks and Imperials have asshole leaders and i would like to murder both of them and be king myself.

Advertisement