Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skinny wrists/forearms and Lifting

Options
  • 24-06-2013 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

I've been lifting and eating properly for the first time in my life. I've been going 5 days a week for the past 4 months. I've got some great gains but now I'm running into an issue.

I have always been pretty tall and skinny. I started at about 12 and 1/2 stone and now i'm about 13 and 3/4 stone so the weights I'm lifting now are much heavier than with what i started with.

My problem is that I have really skinny wrists and forearms. I do arms on Fridays and i think i hurt myself two Fridays ago doing straight bar bicep curls with 60lbs. The last two fridays i haven't been able to lift the straight bar past halfway point, if i go higher and try to bring the bar to my chest as my forearms are in massive pain. The weight isn't heavy, its just that my forearms are bolloxed. Bicep curls with single dumbbells are mostly fine for now. Even now sitting at my desk if i clinch my fists and roll my fist I feel the pain on my forearms...i think i may have a slight sprain or something.

Any thoughts with how to move forward? Or do i need to build up my forearms before i can progress with heavier weights on the bicep curls?

What exercises is there to increase forearm/wrist strength?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Can't give you advice on the injury only have you tried curling an EZ bar? Might relieve it some way with a new grip. Try some wrist curls to beef up those forearms too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

EZ bar doesnt make much of a difference I'm afraid.

I must start doing wrist curls

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Forget what they're calls exactly, but the wrist grip things are great for building strength in your forearms and wrists. Inexpensive too.

Best of all, you can use it at your desk at work, think of it as a stress ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Pull ups or hanging from the pull up bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 J.Farrant

Hazys wrote: »
    I've been lifting and eating properly for the first time in my life. I've been going 5 days a week for the past 4 months. I've got some great gains but now I'm running into an issue.

I have always been pretty tall and skinny. I started at about 12 and 1/2 stone and now i'm about 13 and 3/4 stone so the weights I'm lifting now are much heavier than with what i started with.

My problem is that I have really skinny wrists and forearms. I do arms on Fridays and i think i hurt myself two Fridays ago doing straight bar bicep curls with 60lbs. The last two fridays i haven't been able to lift the straight bar past halfway point, if i go higher and try to bring the bar to my chest as my forearms are in massive pain. The weight isn't heavy, its just that my forearms are bolloxed. Bicep curls with single dumbbells are mostly fine for now. Even now sitting at my desk if i clinch my fists and roll my fist I feel the pain on my forearms...i think i may have a slight sprain or something.

Any thoughts with how to move forward? Or do i need to build up my forearms before i can progress with heavier weights on the bicep curls?

What exercises is there to increase forearm/wrist strength?

Ditch the EZ bar for Kurlz instead use DB's and try and use a fat grip.

Forearm / wrist strength hold heavy stuff!

Deadlifts or rack pulls would be a good start if you have only been lifting a few weeks and you're tall I would suggest rack pulls or Trap bar. Just holding a weight for a period of time is a good way to build grip strength or hold a hex DB. Some high Rep one arm rows would work as well.

Check that your wrists are directly inline with your forearms when your pressing ( Benching, overhead, press ups, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Farmers Walk - grab something heavy and walk
    anything really that involves holding a hanging weight - chins, lunges, side lunges etc

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

Wrist push ups, starting from an appropriate progression, to strenghten the connective tissues / flexibility in the wrists also. You can check out bodyweight/gymnastics style training for more info on the appropriate progressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

You might want to take it easy until you get your injury sorted out. Then when you go back to doing the bicep curls, check your form to make sure you're not doing something to mess yourself up. A lot of people, when they start to go heavy on the curls, start swinging the weights up using drive from their hips and back, which I guess could be a way of picking up an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm new to this so its all a learning curve for me. I'll try out some of the suggestions in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I have the same issue, some good responses here

• Advertisement
Advertisement