Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Join Ray for 5k

• 05-03-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

Registration is open now on Athletics Ireland

KK - Limerick - Sligo - Cavan - Dublin

I'm almost sure the Dublin one is on in the Phx Park. For €5 you get a running t-shirt and goody bag. Last year's was excellent, and although this course is different, I'm sure it'll be just as good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Cool - I didn't do this last year as the midweek timing didn't suit with work, but the Dublin one is on Good Friday so I've signed up! Having a job that closes on Good Friday has really paid off this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Can't go far wrong with €5 for a 5k, I'm in...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

what's the main objective here, is there a charity involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's a "get off your fat arse" run :pac:
    I did the Dublin one last year and it was grand. A bit of confusion at the start over which way we were supposed to be running (started on a track), but the course seemed accurate and it was well stewarded, the t-shirt and bag were worth the fiver, and you got to run alongside Sonia O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Assuming this is targeted at the unemployed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

tunney wrote: »
    Assuming this is targeted at the unemployed?

Can you pay with butter vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There was one in Galway last year and Ming was one of the celebrities running with Ray.

Surprised its not happening again, was over 900 people running in it. A lot of Fit4Life runners but as Ray suggests, aimed at getting people out and off their butts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ah right. jeeze, if people are so lazy they need Ray Darcy to get them motivated then it's a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

real pity that the KK based one is on a Monday!

ah right. jeeze, if people are so lazy they need Ray Darcy to get them motivated then it's a sad state of affairs.

Or, to put it another way, if one DJ can get hundreds of people to start running, that's a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

christeb wrote: »
    Registration is open now on Athletics Ireland

KK - Limerick - Sligo - Cavan - Dublin

I'm almost sure the Dublin one is on in the Phx Park. For €5 you get a running t-shirt and goody bag. Last year's was excellent, and although this course is different, I'm sure it'll be just as good.

The Spar website had a route map based in Ringsend for it but it now redirects to the athletics ireland page with no map. Maybe it is being changed from Ringsend to the park ?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

This is not a race!

It's literally a jog aimed at those who do a bit of walking or jogging or nothing at all really.

I did it last year as one of the legs was in my home town but we were under strict instructions to stick with Ray and let him lead the group for over half the run.

If you're short on technical tee's is worth the 5 euro. If you need motivation to exercise and think that jogging in the company of a radio dj will get you off the couch then it's definitely worth the 5 euro.

The majority of the crowd (like 99%) were fans of Ray and because they were in the company of a hero it was a great giggly atmosphere for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Clum wrote: »

I did it last year as one of the legs was in my home town but we were under strict instructions to stick with Ray and let him lead the group for over half the run.

The majority of the crowd (like 99%) were fans of Ray and because they were in the company of a hero it was a great giggly atmosphere for most.

Not a fan of Darcy's. I'd like to see him stop me when I piss it off at the start :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not a fan of Darcy's. I'd like to see him stop me when I piss it off at the start :)

Be careful. Ted might tackle ya!

Clum wrote: »

I did the Dublin one, he wasn't there himself. I don't recall anyone being instructed to stay behind the 'race leader', but since it was Sonia O'Sullivan...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Peckham

RayCun wrote: »

I did the Dublin one, he wasn't there himself. I don't recall anyone being instructed to stay behind the 'race leader', but since it was Sonia O'Sullivan...

"Join Ray for 5k" and Ray doesn't show up. That's a lot of disappointed housewives! Even with TheRoadRunner leading the pace from the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Be careful. Ted might tackle ya!

I knew he was small but Didn't realise darcy was that small. A child's teddy bear dwarfs him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Peckham wrote: »
    "Join Ray for 5k" and Ray doesn't show up. That's a lot of disappointed housewives! Even with TheRoadRunner leading the pace from the front.

Well he had a good excuse so I'm sure they didn't mind (Jenny's dad died afaik).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

hollypink wrote: »

Well he had a good excuse so I'm sure they didn't mind (Jenny's dad died afaik).

Yes that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,961 ✭✭✭opus

Too bad there's no event in Cork this year, I missed it last year & was hoping to give it a go this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 chrissymc

Anyone know exactly where in the Pheonix park the start of the Run with Ray 5k starts and where is best entrance to drive into the park to be near the start.
    Details on this run are very vague, ive looked on Atletics Ireland and Today fm and doesnt say exactly where in the park or the route. Also runireland.com give different dates than Todayfm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

RayCun wrote: »

Would go if Sonia was there and not Ray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

rom wrote: »
    Would go if Sonia was there and not Ray :)

She out-kicked me on the track at the finish. A broken collarbone at the time was my excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 chrissymc

Im still waiting for anyone to tell me where exactly in the Pheonix park this race is starting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭The Davestator

chrissymc wrote: »
    Im still waiting for anyone to tell me where exactly in the Pheonix park this race is starting

Early days yet! I'm sure there will be more info nearer the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Peckham

chrissymc wrote: »

Is it even confirmed yet that it's Phoenix Park, or is that still speculation?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭kenn0

OK folks if you are running with Ray in Kilkenny on Monday.
    Here is some good advice for you in relation to parking
    there is plenty of free parking in Aldi and Lidl on the Waterford road only five minutes walk from the Watershed
    And even more free parking at Woodies which is also five minutes walk from the Watershed

Aldi and Lidl
    http://www.yellowmap.de/partners/AldiSued2/Html/Info.aspx?Ebinr=KRR4A1750800FWB22&SessionGuid=e90aafb0-0f31-45d3-8e5f-03abddd2cc80&ClearGroups=MapNav%2cGeoMap&ClearParas=Print&DetailInfoView=2

Woodies
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/dynamiccontent.aspx?loc=228

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

1000 People are expected on the day, so park up and get on the track on time, as there will be a lot of lunch time runners arriving at the last minute!!! There will be no last minute parking close to the Watershed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Is it even confirmed yet that it's Phoenix Park, or is that still speculation?

The times and route are all on www.todayfm.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭judosean2005

I really wanna do the run in Limerick tomorrow.
    Im not a runner by nature but ive been training for a while and think i could do it.
    Anyone know if i ca just walk down and pay or even just walk down and do run??

Sean

Advertisement