Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3G/HSPA Routers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tomangos

Just tried the E3272 on meteor with the MR3420 running sweet as a nut. Getting 30 mb download and 5 mb upload I also tried the K4605 dongle on the Vodafone performance plan and im getting 15 mb download. I hope this helps. Also great ping times on meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

tomangos wrote: »
    Just tried the E3272 on meteor with the MR3420 running sweet as a nut. Getting 30 mb download and 5 mb upload I also tried the K4605 dongle on the Vodafone performance plan and im getting 15 mb download. I hope this helps. Also great ping times on meteor.

Thanks tomangos, great to know. Now to find out if the local mast has be upgraded as per comreg as those speeds would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brasher

The only masts in the area for me are Vodafone. Do you think you got slower speeds because of your signal? Everything is out of stock for them at the moment unfortunately.

brasher wrote: »
    The only masts in the area for me are Vodafone. Do you think you got slower speeds because of your signal? Everything is out of stock for them at the moment unfortunately.

The further away you are the less signal you will get that will mean lower speeds. However you can get a high gain antenna that will improve your signal and speed. Vodafone do decent speeds in the 3g performance and pro packages. You can always get a dongle when they are in stock and try it for a week

That's the plan, try it for a week and see how it works out. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried the meteor 4g dongle. Im getting 20-30 Mb download during the day which is very good but at night it goes down yo 2-3 Mb which is a joke. Vodafone 3g+ plan gives me 10Mb at night. Its hard to figure out. I rang meteor and the answer they gave was to unplug your dongle then they would reset it. They didn't want to know about it. Think im going to wait for the Vodafone 4g dongle to come into stock ill hand back the meteor one. Its a pity because meteor have a better price plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 comeonthebann

What indoor attenta will e3272 4G dongle from meteor?
    And any recommendations on a good wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 comeonthebann

What indoor attenta will e3272 4G dongle from meteor?
    And any recommendations on a good wireless router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Will the 3G sims from any the mobile broadband suppliers work with a TP-Link TL-MR3020 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router?

Currently very confused..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

thewools wrote: »
    Will the 3G sims from any the mobile broadband suppliers work with a TP-Link TL-MR3020 Portable 3G/4G Wireless N CABLE Router?

Currently very confused..

The TP-Link TL-MR3020 Portable 3G/4G doesn't work directly with a SIM card. You put the SIM into a dongle and plug the dongle into the TP-Link unit.

• Advertisement

The TP-Link TL-MR3020 Portable 3G/4G doesn't work directly with a SIM card. You put the SIM into a dongle and plug the dongle into the TP-Link unit.

So if I buy any of the dongle from any provider it will be ok?

If I just buy the sim I would need a universal / unlocked dongle then?

thewools wrote: »
    So if I buy any of the dongle from any provider it will be ok?

If I just buy the sim I would need a universal / unlocked dongle then?

Almost, each dongle is slightly different and when you use it with a computer the dongle downloads its drivers to the computer so the computer can use it.

With a 3G router the router has to have all the drivers preinstalled so of the dongle will work with it, so you need to check whatever dongle you are getting is compatible with the router you want to use.

So dongle has to be matched to the router and the SIM needs matching to the dongle. Obviously an unlocked dongle will work with any SIM but a three dongle for example if locked will only work with a 3 SIM.

Almost, each dongle is slightly different and when you use it with a computer the dongle downloads its drivers to the computer so the computer can use it.

With a 3G router the router has to have all the drivers preinstalled so of the dongle will work with it, so you need to check whatever dongle you are getting is compatible with the router you want to use.

So dongle has to be matched to the router and the SIM needs matching to the dongle. Obviously an unlocked dongle will work with any SIM but a three dongle for example if locked will only work with a 3 SIM.

Thanks again..

What would u recommend to be best / most suitable router? And where the best place to purchase?

Amazon.co.uk pick the free delivery option at the checkout

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3420-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B003WK62OS/

or the older and cheaper model (only differs in slower wireless speed)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3220-150Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B0043GWGV8/

no guarantee they will work with every dongle (see the previous discussion) but they have the widest comparability.

Part of the compatibility list here http://uk.tp-link.com/support/3g-comp-list/?model=TL-MR3420 if you check out other countries then you'll see other dongles listed.

Product page TL-MR3420 http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=218&model=TL-MR3420 .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 xavi

Does anyone know if I buy a E3131 dongle from three, whether I can plug it into either of these 3g/4g routers from TP-Link (TL-MR3220 or TL-MR3420)

If not possible, what would you recommend

It's not specifically listed on the compatible devices page , but all the carriers have a cooling off period so you could get it and try it then return if you have no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

how reliable is the 3G/4G and WAN Connection Backup Strategy on the TL-MR3420? Anyone use that setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Medceltic

I have Meteor 3g 50 gigs for 25 Euro monthly, I bought Router from argos and all is fine.

Medceltic wrote: »
    I have Meteor 3g 50 gigs for 25 Euro monthly, I bought Router from argos and all is fine.

i dont see this option on the meteor site..link? 12month contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Medceltic

18 month contract , the best ever you can get, use internet like any landline.
    it is up to the locations as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Had the 25eu a month for 50gigs and it was an old offer if I can remember... I used it for e years or so and it was pretty good

The 4g offers meteor have for broadband aren't great

Medceltic wrote: »
    18 month contract
    -=al=- wrote: »
    The 4g offers meteor have for broadband aren't great

yeah thats why i'm going to go with tesco's 50gb for €30 on a rolling monthly contract. That and the speeds are almost as good as the meteor 4g in my location.

have an unlocked 02 huwaei E3131 working with a TL-MR3420

wow thats pretty good

I'm coming back to the country soon and will be after 4g bb since eircom won't get their fingers out

three have the new 4g router so i might go a year with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Has anyone tried Meteor's Huawei 4G E5372 with the TL-MR3420 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

any routers you can tether android phone to via usb cable
    phone BB plan > usb cable > router > wifi ??

Not to my knowledge, nope...

BB sim in a dongle > router > wifi is the closest alternative that I know of any way

--

And as for tesco BB in the post a few posts up...

How is their 3g as good as 4g!? That's great it works for you though!

I want the Huawei B593 which is over 200+ quid on it's own without a terrible data allowance on a 4g plan.

Three give 60GB for €30 a month for 1 year with a 1 off payment for the router of €99 which isn't terrible if the connection is stable...

I asked in the three forum if I can get out of the contract after 14 days if the 4g signal isn't stable or legit (Since their map says 4g is in my area) and they gave me a big fat nope!

Why tell people 4g is in their area then when they sign up for it basically say "well if you can't get 4g in your area you're stuck with the contract" ...Surely there's a way out if the service isn't working where they say it is?

Cowboys

-=al=- wrote: »
    Not to my knowledge, nope...
    And as for tesco BB in the post a few posts up...

How is their 3g as good as 4g!? That's great it works for you though!
    basically the meteor 4g signal isnt great so its not true 4g speeds. might be better with and external aerial but not worth the 18month contract and crappier usage limits imo. o2 base station less than 500m from house and direct los. i live in hope that some day it will be upgraded to 4g as part of the 02/3 merger and 4g roll out....
    Three give 60GB for €30 a month for 1 year with a 1 off payment for the router of €99 which isn't terrible if the connection is stable...

I asked in the three forum if I can get out of the contract after 14 days if the 4g signal isn't stable or legit (Since their map says 4g is in my area) and they gave me a big fat nope!

Why tell people 4g is in their area then when they sign up for it basically say "well if you can't get 4g in your area you're stuck with the contract" ...Surely there's a way out if the service isn't working where they say it is?

Cowboys
    unfortunately its the same line that all internet service providers give whether its fixed line or wireless connection, up to X which is pretty much impossible in real world.
    If you buy online there might be the regulatory 14 day cooling off period for distance selling? Think Meteor honour that with a no quibble cancellation and return (may be wrong)

Metor are offering the B593s now too for 99 but the contract and data are crappy

Meteor worked best for me at my location for 3g so I'd happily go with them again but the 18 month/30GB is just a bit too long and not great data. Although, I was with meteor on an old 30GB 3G plan before and had 50GB for some reason!

The Huawei B592s is too expensive on it's own along with an external antenna and bill pay plan, so I'll likely just go with 3 for now and chance it again :\ ...It's the shortest contract I can get with the best data and the router for a one off of €99

I might as well put India on my speed-dial now

EDIT

Will this antenna work grand with the Huawei B593s? - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/231284379423?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Here are the antenna stats:

Gain (Max) 2.5 dBi
    Gain (Nominal) 2.0 dBi
    Input Frequency 790 – 960, 1710 – 2170, 2300 – 2400 and 2500 – 2700 MHz Bands
    VSWR across operating bands < 2.5:1
    Feed power handling 4 W
    Input impedance 50 Ohm (nominal)
    Polarisation 2 x Linear (Vertical and Horizontal)
    Cable 2 x 5m HDF 195
    Connector 2 x SMA plug
    Mounting Window, wall or pole
    Dimensions (l x w x h) 234 x 134 x 84 mm
    Cable Colour: White

And here are the routers specs:

5YTQ7Xd.png

It seems like that antenna is perfect for all the network type options and LTE 4g stuff... It even has 2 outputs for the router which also has SMA connections. Some cheaper antennas don't seem to have as many bands or 4g and some just have 4g

Here is one of the cheaper atenna's - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/111434730850?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 ...not sure if it would be as good

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    any routers you can tether android phone to via usb cable
    phone BB plan > usb cable > router > wifi ??

Sapido have a router that will do this.I'm using an android phone for the last couple of years with a broadband sim in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

hi ralphie
    which on have you got?
    where did you get it?
    seen this one on amazon

Advertisement