Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

swim, bike, run ... it'l be fun!

• 24-12-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Last year I started to train for the Dublin Marathon with absolutely no previous running experience. After getting my long runs up to 1/2 marathon distance I had terrible problems with my feet and had to abandon the training. This year I set out to do it again, and armed with new runners from runways, a visit to the physio the first time I got a pain in my knees, and the help of the folk on boards, I got it done!

I'm 26, male, weigh about 65kg and have a resting HR of 48bpm.

The times I clocked for the DM race series this year were:
    5 Mile: 0:39
    10 Mile: 1:14
    1/2 Marathon: 1:48
    Marathon: 3:55

My goals for the coming year are:
    1. Finish an olympic-distance triathlon
    2. Run the edinburgh marathon

I recon if I was able to finish a Marathon, I should be able to make a triathlon happen too. I'm very comfortable in open water (I could tread and do the doggie paddle for hours), but I'm a terrible swimmer (could just about get a 25m length of breaststroke out in September, and had no idea how to do frontcrawl), so that will be the hard part. I'm taking lessons at the moment (started a month ago), and getting in two other swims a week. I can do about 600m of breaststroke, or 60m of frontcrawl before I need a break. Not decided on an event to target yet, but it will be something mid-late season (maybe carlingford, but it doesnt sound like the most beginner friendly course).

I'm also going to do the edinburgh marathon. This is a secondary objective, even though it will happen earlier in the season. I missed lots of runs due to injuries/paranoia about injuries etc. when I was training for the DM. I also walked for about two minutes during the race as I came up feenian st. My aim for edinburgh is to be more consistent in training (hopefully I have a better base to start from this time!), and to run the entire course without any walking. Ill be running it with a friend, who is also a non-runner, so I dont mind if I dont get a good race time: a quicker recovery to get back training for the triathlon is more important.

So, they're the goals. Now I just need to make them happen :)

I'll probably use the HH novice program for the marathon, and dont yet have a good idea about how to integrate that with tri-specific training. For the next few months I'll mainly be focusing on getting my swimming in shape.

Since the DM I started doing one run a week at the start of december (longest was 7miles), and have been swimming three times a week.

Most folk are using their logs for running; mine will be a combination of swimming and running, and once I get a bike sorted in jan/feb that will be in here too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

best of luck with your training and log....the key to it all is consistency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi kingQuez,

Welcome! Stick at the swimming it will come if you work at it. Earlier this year I was swimming a couple of lengths and taking a break, however it has come on loads from joining a group session. I swam about twice a week while I trained for the DM so all I had to do after DM was to introduce some bike sessions to get the mix right for Tri training.

Best of luck in 2009 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Festive swim in the 40-foot. Managed about 5 minutes before turning purple and running for the car! Nasty salt water doesnt taste like the water at the swimming pool.

I've been using a HRM for the last few runs to see what happens on a typical run, and it keeps at a fairly consistent 148 regardless of the run. Today I worked out the target zones using the Runner's world guide at http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=176 and tried to run in the moderate range.

easy (60-70%): 135-156
    moderate (75-85%): 156-171
    hard (85-95%): 171-185

I used the max hr estimate of 214-(0.8 x age). I think I need to do an actual test to calculate the max HR because when I tried to keep in the moderate zone (165) it nearly killed me--I kept it up for the first mile and then I had to drop right back.

Summary: 5k run (3.1m). 7min 35sec/mile. max hr 171, average 148.

Summary: 11.1k run (6.9m). 52mins 15sec. 7min 25sec/mile. max hr 181, average 156.

Didnt bring the HRM today as I was going for a run with a friend;

Summary: 8.27k run (5.14m). 41mins. 7min 58sec/mile.

• Advertisement

Today felt like a bit of a slog.. from getting the motivation to go out, until I got back home, everything about today's run just felt hard.

Summary: 8.04k run (5m). 35mins. 7min 00sec/mile. max hr 169, average 152.

kingQuez wrote: »
    Today felt like a bit of a slog.. from getting the motivation to go out, until I got back home, everything about today's run just felt hard.

Summary: 8.04k run (5m). 35mins. 7min 00sec/mile. max hr 169, average 152.

perhaps because you were running hard ;)

Started to look at road bikes properly in the past couple of weeks, was more or less settled on the beone storm 1.0 from chainreactioncycles but while trying to figure out the frame size that id need the last of the 52cm ones was sold :/ Back to the drawing board.

I should start varying the runs a bit, but at the moment im enjoying running a bit harder than normal and my HH novice program doesn't start for another few weeks. Im tempted to start it next week so I can use the full program and have a few weeks of pre-anticipated illness/injury/whatever worked into the schedule.

Summary: 8.3km run (5.2m). 36mins 37secs. 7mins 2secs/mile. max hr 180, average 155.

The pool finally reopened tonight!

I did: 6xlengths breaststroke (continuous), 12xfrontcrawl (with breaks between most lengths), 2xbreaststroke making for a total distance of 660m. It felt like I'd disimproved after a break of 12 days or whatever.

Really looking forward to tomorrows swimming class now!

Total of 700m during todays swimming class. A mixture of front, back, breaststroke and a couple of lengths of sculling.

• Advertisement

Couldn't bring myself to go for a run lastnight, it was just too cold for my liking! Feeling a bit tired today and my right calf is still a bit tight from swimming on tuesday (excuses excuses), so just a 3m for me today.

I think folks from my new job are going out for pints tomorrow; not sure how that fits in with my plan of a swimming session.. drinking water might be a bit controversial :D.

Summary: 4.94km run (3m). 22min 44secs. 7mins 34secs/mile. max hr 165, average 152.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Started to look at road bikes properly in the past couple of weeks, was more or less settled on the beone storm 1.0 from chainreactioncycles but while trying to figure out the frame size that id need the last of the 52cm ones was sold :/ Back to the drawing board.

I had my eye on the 52cm one too - that was a bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭milligank

When I was getting into triathlons....

I just booked a race..

Fear helped me train. fear of everything, each event, transition and the fact I had told people I was doing it.

I believe FEAR is one of the best motivators.

Hence why we all write goals.... once you write them, you nearly afraid not to have a go at them .

Total of 600m swimming today in the 33m pool. Did 8xbreaststoke and 10xfrontcrawl. Took a break every two lengths 30-40second break, and every fourth a 2min break; the extra 15m compared with a 25m pool made it a lot harder to do!. Slowly weaning myself off breaststroke, even if it means total distance is dropping: my frontcrawl will improve!

Also got in a run today too, think its the first day I've ever done more than one sport in the same day! :)

Summary: 8.27km run (5.14m). 38min 49secs. 7mins 33secs/mile. max hr 163, average 148.

Run today with a friend. I forgot to turn on the HRM till 1/2 way through the run, so not sure of the time. Overall very relaxed (Average HR was 142 for the second half).

Summary: 5 miles (8k).

8.5 hours training this week

That what my log says...

Monday - Run (5km) Swim 800m

Tuesday- Bike 25km (324 meters of elevation, so lots of climbing)

Wednesday - Swim 1500m

Thurs- Bike 25km (324 meters of elevation, so lots of climbing) & a 5km Run off the bike

Friday - Off - Sick

Sat @ 8.00am - 1.15 hour run (COLD)

Sunday - 3 hours on the bike - 350m climbs - (Wind)

Trying to scare me milligank? :)

Swimming tonight. Never seen the pool as busy, I think the resolutioners were taking over? Found swimming a bit harder as the pool was very choppy with the combination of so many people causing local currents, and a few peoples breaststroke technique that caused the occasional tsunami. Nothing compared to the start of a tri race im sure, but it made things a bit more interesting for my monday swim!

Total: 733m. 10xbreaststroke, 12xfrontcrawl. every two lengths took a break of 25seconds. swam the breaststroke with no additional breaks, but every 4 lengths took a two minute break during frontcrawl. Furthest I've ever swam in one session, so im happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Was that the UL pool? I run from the arena, the pool was frikkin mental!! Looked lovely and calm by 8pm tho......

Trying to scare me milligank? :)

Swimming tonight. Never seen the pool as busy, I think the resolutioners were taking over? Found swimming a bit harder as the pool was very choppy with the combination of so many people causing local currents, and a few peoples breaststroke technique that caused the occasional tsunami. Nothing compared to the start of a tri race im sure, but it made things a bit more interesting for my monday swim!

Total: 733m. 10xbreaststroke, 12xfrontcrawl. every two lengths took a break of 25seconds. swam the breaststroke with no additional breaks, but every 4 lengths took a two minute break during frontcrawl. Furthest I've ever swam in one session, so im happy :D

progress, well done and keep it up! Keep building bit by bit towards your goal :D

MarieC wrote: »
    Was that the UL pool? I run from the arena, the pool was frikkin mental!! Looked lovely and calm by 8pm tho......

Ah I'm based up in Dublin so it was just my local pool here. Seems the country has gone fitness mad this month.. fingers crossed it will drop off. Im joining a gym/pool next month.. its costing way too much to pay each time I go swimming.. obviously a good sign of me keeping up some level of regular swims!

Swimming lesson today. Didnt really cover much distance or anything so It would be unfair to include it as a session. If I manage to drag my ass out of bed 40mins early tomorrow I'm going to attempt a 3mile run in the morning! Im not a morning person, so not sure how this will work out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

If I manage to drag my ass out of bed 40mins early tomorrow I'm going to attempt a 3mile run in the morning! Im not a morning person, so not sure how this will work out :D

Well how did your morning run go KingQuez? ;)

MarieC wrote: »
    Well how did your morning run go KingQuez? ;)

I didn;t make it to the start line; not enough training for that getting up early thing. I had hoped including it in the log here would force me to get out of bed when the alarm went off, but I slept through it :rolleyes:.

Im off sport the last couple of days with man-flu. I think I got struck down for not getting out of bed and doing that 3miler I was contemplating :rolleyes:
    It feels like forever since I got out for a session!

Off this weekend for a week on a skiing holiday (woohoo! :D), so It's unlikely Ill be doing any running or swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

enjoy your holidays. I'm very jealous.

Morning run this AM at 8.00am

1hour 45mins. Chill out pace, just building some endurance.

Naas Duathlon tomorrow in the rain and wind !!!

As expected there was general pain following a week of learning to snowboard; what wasn't expected was the more serious pain in my ribs after one particularly bad fall. Barely managed two lengths in the pool tonight before I'd to give up, and am rather sore now, so I think thats swimming + swimming lessons out for the next few weeks. It also looks to have messed up my 18 week plan for Edinburgh which was due to start this week.

Currently contemplating either a trip to a vhi healthcare clinic or a physio. Not sure which is more appropriate. I couldn't have broken anything, otherwise id expect to be in a lot more pain.. all the same, it feels like more than just a run of the mill pain. Normally id just ignore the pain and rest, but that doesnt fit well with my plans at all.

Aaaarrrghhhh! :(

After two weeks rest I'm finally on the mend. Ribs are massively improved, albeit a little bit sore still, so I went for a short swim/run yesterday and it didnt cause any new pain to appear. Going with the 16 week plan I used for the DM, starting tomorrow with a 3m. Planning to use the treadmill for runs until the ice thaws a bit, and generally just going to take the next couple of weeks easy :)

Easy swim: ~250m
    Run: 4k, 20mins total (8min 3sec/mile), average HR: 158, max: 172

Wow, one day since I posted an update here and my log already got bumped to the second page. The 1000mile challenge has obviously got you lot a bit more active than ye were last month ;)

God only knows how, but I dragged my ass out of bed at 7 instead of the usual 9 and went to the gym for an hour before work. 3 mile run and a quick swim. Noticed a few of you mentioned that you set the treadmill to a 1degree incline, so pushed a few buttons on it and set it at that. Cant wait till the weather improves.. I want to run outside!

Summary:

RUN 3.1m (5k), 22mins 48seconds, average pace 7min 20seconds/mile. Average HR 171, max 183.

SWIM 14 lengths, mixture of front crawl and breaststroke. Just taking this very easy as I can feel the pain in my ribs most when arms are doing the 'pull' on the side that got hurt.

Two mornings in a row... I deserve my morning off tomorrow :D

Summary:

RUN: 4miles (6.5k), 28mins 49seconds. 7min 8sec/mile. Average HR 159, max 181.

SWIM: 10 lengths (250m).

• Advertisement

Ribs are feeling reasonably Ok when I swim now, so really looking forward to going for a swim only session this weekend and see how I get on (this week its been a quick swim directly after the run each day).

I also would love to pull off a 20min 3mile run someday. Todays run came in at exactly the same time as the one a couple of days ago (down to the second!). How hard can it be to shave a minute a mile off :D

RUN: 3.1miles (5k), 22min 48sec. 7min 20seconds/mile. Avg HR 160, max 174.

SWIM: 10 lengths frontcrawl (250m). Brief break every two lengths before going again.

Advertisement