Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Oh I also had a little bit of wine before I started last night. Not as bad as buying something on eBay with drink influence but it wouldn't of happened otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Thinking of going all NTSC on my Snes stuff and trying to go fully boxed for everything I can

Ya know, I did get a whiff of that while looking at your ad :D The amount of money I made selling my pal stuff off was unreal, the NTSC carts are dirt cheap like for like.

YeahI agree re the boxes, they are super cool. I just don't think they wear well & the minty ones can add a huge chunk to the value/price

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭antor

NES with a load of games , what a bargain

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nes-with-23-games/2226461

And his open to offers ;)

He has the same username as yourself, strange. Handy if he listed the game titles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭antor

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    He has the same username as yourself, strange. Handy if he listed the game titles though.
    I know what an idiot , I'm sure he will do it in a few minutes :o

• Advertisement

I dropped the price of that region free katana/dev bios Dreamcast to €100 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81191021&postcount=29

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want Elite, but the cad has no splitting... dag nab it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Big lot of J-NTSC games here, might be worth a punt considering there's free international shipping. Seller is very reliable as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLESALE-Lot-100-Mix-NEO-GEO-Mega-CD-PC-Engine-Dreamcast-Sega-Saturn-10165mix-/300796788414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4608e2bebe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this seller seems to have some good value Famicom/Super Famicom games (cart only) and is UK based.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/geomart_games_20xx/m.html?hash=item3f1b5fa8d8&item=271042193624&pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Big lot of J-NTSC games here, might be worth a punt considering there's free international shipping. Seller is very reliable as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOLESALE-Lot-100-Mix-NEO-GEO-Mega-CD-PC-Engine-Dreamcast-Sega-Saturn-10165mix-/300796788414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4608e2bebe

he says the free postage (surface shipping) takes 2-4 months, so good luck with a paypal claim if anything goes wrong.

• Advertisement

Whats the story with all the Terranigma PAL carts in germany being so cheap? Are they translation patched or in german language?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNES-Super-Nintendo-Terranigma-/280997800679?pt=DE_PC_Videospiele&hash=item416cc62ae7

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can tell you now, they aren't multi-language carts so different regions are in different languages. The German carts are german only. You have to get a UK one which aren't very common. I had to do some research to find out which carts are UK only and still I managed to get it 'cheap' for 80 euros from a seller that didn't know what language it was.

I can tell you now, they aren't multi-language carts so different regions are in different languages. The German carts and german only. You have to get a UK one which aren't very common. I had to do some research to find out which carts are UK only and still I managed to get it 'cheap' for 80 euros from a seller that didn't know what language it was.

Ah I see, sneaky.

Though I've been conversing with mmmonkey via email about 'regionalising' games. Basically what he's doing is, buying the SFC version of a game, say Mother 2 ok. Obtaining the rom for the game, & hard patching a translation into the rom, & then burning that rom image to a small flash rom. He then removes the maskrom of the original cart, fits this new flashrom in via an adapter, & voila...the english version of the game running on original hardwae.

It's more or less exactly like the CPS2 phoenix technique, where program roms are removed, & replaced with slightly modified code on eeprom chips. I don't call phoenixed cps2 game bootlegs, so in the same vein, I'm not gonna call this new cart a reproduction. It was the original game to begin with, & remains the original game afterwards, albeit with a new language.

Been spending a few days learning the process, finding a supplier for the flashrom & adapters, & handily enough, they'll burn the rom image onto the rom for you which saves yo uhaving to buy an eeprom burner too. So yeah, I'd be perfectly happy having Earthbound running from a Mother 2 cart, Clocktower in English on an SFC Clocktower cart, & maybe Terranigma running in English from a German PAL cart

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Now that is interesting!

Keep us updated aswell because if you end up doing this I will be very keen to get some

Hmm, the problem would be obtaining the translation. Stuff like Mother 2 and Terranigma are already translated therefore no fan translation group is going to make a fan translation of it unless it's something like Breath of Fire 2 where the translation was ****ing awful.

Now that is interesting!

Keep us updated aswell because if you end up doing this I will be very keen to get some

I will indeed, gonna buy an SFC Clocktower first & try it myself & will let you know how it goes.
    Hmm, the problem would be obtaining the translation. Stuff like Mother 2 and Terranigma are already translated therefore no fan translation group is going to make a fan translation of it unless it's something like Breath of Fire 2 where the translation was ****ing awful.

Well in the case of where games are already translated, you can skip patching the rom with the translation, & directly have the already translated/dumped rom of the English version burned to the new flashrom & fit it in place of the maskrom already in the cart.

So it would something like buy the German Terranigma for much less €€€, find the rom of the english version of the game, have this rom burned to the flashrom, & then fit this new flashrom in place of the old maskrom in the cart.

Of course it's not entirely original now anymore, & you won't, or at least shouldn't, sell it as such. But its every bit as original as a phoenixed cps2 game is, & if it gives me the ability to play games like Clocktower that I previously couldn't have, I'm all for it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah I see, sneaky.

Though I've been conversing with mmmonkey via email about 'regionalising' games. Basically what he's doing is, buying the SFC version of a game, say Mother 2 ok. Obtaining the rom for the game, & hard patching a translation into the rom, & then burning that rom image to a small flash rom. He then removes the maskrom of the original cart, fits this new flashrom in via an adapter, & voila...the english version of the game running on original hardwae.

It's more or less exactly like the CPS2 phoenix technique, where program roms are removed, & replaced with slightly modified code on eeprom chips. I don't call phoenixed cps2 game bootlegs, so in the same vein, I'm not gonna call this new cart a reproduction. It was the original game to begin with, & remains the original game afterwards, albeit with a new language.

Been spending a few days learning the process, finding a supplier for the flashrom & adapters, & handily enough, they'll burn the rom image onto the rom for you which saves yo uhaving to buy an eeprom burner too. So yeah, I'd be perfectly happy having Earthbound running from a Mother 2 cart, Clocktower in English on an SFC Clocktower cart, & maybe Terranigma running in English from a German PAL cart
    Since you're talking to him , see if you can get him to update his US SNES psu adaptor guide , its great but maplin changed the cable adaptor part so it doesnt list positive or negative!(you know what I'm talking about)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

antor wrote: »
    NES with a load of games , what a bargain

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nes-with-23-games/2226461

And his open to offers ;)
    hey Anto ,long time no see, cant believe you're selling elite (or are you only mad for the c64 one still?) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Is elite that rare, I thought the NES version was a just a bit uncommon

• Advertisement

I listed some NES games for sale on Adverts - http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-nes-games/2229699

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Too early to promise a kidney for Earthbound?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Too early to promise a kidney for Earthbound?

Well, if your happy buying the Japanese version of it, Mother 2, & replacing a rom...its quite affordable

So, what's the process?
    Buy Mother 2, wait until you get the magic working, send you the cart and 5 billion dollars and await the bliss of Earthbound?
    Will this arrangement have battery back up as well?

Seems like a lot of effort. Since they aren't original I'd just use a flashcart.

One thing to note about fan translations is that a lot of earlier ones or poorly coded ones are designed for emulators and not for actual hardware. Clock Tower I have a feeling is an early one.

However something like the Shin Megami Tensei I and II translations work on actual hardware and encounter bugs in anything other than BSNES.

http://touch.adverts.ie/ornaments-figurines/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-still-in-original-packaging-collectable-1988/2230571?utm_source=email&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=SearchAlert

I know at least one poster in here will be interested in these. The page is the mobile version so not sure how the link will work.

So, what's the process?
    Buy Mother 2, wait until you get the magic working, send you the cart and 5 billion dollars and await the bliss of Earthbound?

Well I wouldn't go buying anything yet, I'll prob offer it as a service alright but I wanna make sure I have the process correct & verify it works first :)
    Seems like a lot of effort. Since they aren't original I'd just use a flashcart.

One thing to note about fan translations is that a lot of earlier ones or poorly coded ones are designed for emulators and not for actual hardware. Clock Tower I have a feeling is an early one.

However something like the Shin Megami Tensei I and II translations work on actual hardware and encounter bugs in anything other than BSNES.

It's very little effort at all in fact, especially for the likes of Earthbound. And as I said before about Phoenixed CPS2 games, it's the exact same thing as that, & they're original enough for me. You'll be playing Mother 2 {Earthbound}, from a real mother 2 cart, on a real console, except it will be in English...aka Earthbound. I'm more than happy with that, the fact its an original cart is the seller for me, yeah your changing out one chip, but on a cps2 board your often changing 5 or 6 & very few see them as bootlegs, so I'll not be a hypocrite here and not call these carts bootlegs.

Your correct in that they are not original, but its a far more appealing solution than using a flash cart, this way you get an original cart, original artwork & box even if you want.

Some gamecube games I'm listing here on behalf of someone else, there's a Zelda promotional collectors edition in there with the two originals, OoT & MM on the one disc - http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/gamecube-ps2-games/2230905

It will, because its all working off the original Mother 2 cart...the process simply exchanges one chip with another that has the language patched. It's not going to be an original Earthbound cart...but its the nearest your ever going to get without forking out big time.

• Advertisement

It will, because its all working off the original Mother 2 cart...the process simply exchanges one chip with another that has the language patched. It's not going to be an original Earthbound cart...but its the nearest your ever going to get without forking out big time for the elusive US cart. No thanks, the Japanese cart with a slight mod will do me just fine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement