Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Engerland?

• 13-06-2010 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Its funny, I have noticed over the last couple of years that the supporters of english soccer have decided to add an extra syllable to their countries name. Crazy English, how more silly can they get.?:rolleyes:

Engerland.....

Anyone know why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I don't want to bore you with the phonology reasons why (basically to cut it short, certain varieties of English will do that with a lot of words), but one practical reason is that it's hard to shout two syllable worlds, so you end up with "engerland" and "eeeeeeeeng-la-hand" when chanting

Edit: if you repost this in linguistics & etymology you will get a lot of serious answers

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Next to Areland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I thought it came from Keith Allen's EN-GER-LAND sign at the end of this vid (3m 17sec in).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Next to Whales?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Crazy Engerlish, how more silly can they get.?:rolleyes:

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Its funny, I have noticed over the last couple of years that the supporters of english soccer have decided to add an extra syllable to their countries name. Crazy English, how more silly can they get.?:rolleyes:

Engerland.....

Anyone know why?

It's not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Engerland.....

Anyone know why?

Yes, some english people add r's to their words... the ones in my class do it all the time... for example they say pastera instead of pasta.

Next to Areland

Well, i'm not from england and i say say that, i find it very hard to say ireland, it comes out ireleand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I hate how Americans tend to pronounce Ireland Eye-or-land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Next to Whales?

There was a young traveler boy fishing in the Liffey. A Guard approached the boy and asked him what he was doing.

The boy responded, "Im fishin for Whales boss"
    The Guard says, "there are no whales in there son, just small fish"
    Boy says "Na boss, whales for me bicycle"

• Advertisement

Caoimhín wrote: »
    There was a young traveler boy fishing in the Liffey. A Guard approached the boy and asked him what he was doing.

oh aye that just reminds me. My p6 teacher who was english aswell, used to wind us up all the time everytime we said wheel or whales, he would say which are we talking about as they sounded the same... it was really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Engerland? Why it's right next door to Eyeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Barna77

First country on the right, when you leave Ah-land

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Engerland.....

Anyone know why?
    f*ck me thats well noticed. jesus titty fuking christ, you should be on countdown.. or at least this box or that box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

English fans have been chanting it that way since at least the 80's. I remember a comedian pointing it out back then. (Definitely before the video OutlawPete linked, too, because I remember thinking it was pretty funny when I heard that come out after hearing the comedian slagging them off for it.) See also: in mourning because they didn't get the Rob of the Green last night. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

It's got to do with the Germans
    Engländer

Thats what my Brit mate has just told me

* he could be wrong he is thick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Jazzy wrote: »
    jesus titty fuking christ,

That's a new insult for my repetoire, thank you.

As for OP, I am English and I can honestly say I have never pronounced it "Engerland". But then, I am not a football supporter; and I think they are the main offender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Engl-er, Englerland can be used for emphisis, just like

"Ireland Ireland Repuberlic of Ireland" from that annoying Give it a lash Jack in Italia 90

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

It's in the British Irles.

rednik wrote: »
    It's in the British Irles.

Now, you lot are just taken the micky they don't all bloody talk like that! Its not as bad as those shewsbury ones saying seriously.. that gets annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

English fans have been chanting it that way since at least the 80's. I remember a comedian pointing it out back then. (Definitely before the video OutlawPete linked, too, because I remember thinking it was pretty funny when I heard that come out after hearing the comedian slagging them off for it.) See also: in mourning because they didn't get the Rob of the Green last night. :pac:

Probably Harry Enfields' Loadsamoney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Caoimhín wrote: »

There was a young traveller sitting on o connell bridge crying. A Guard approached him and asked what was wrong

"me mate is gone boss,me mate is gone"

The Guard jumps into the liffey to try and save his mate and after a frantic search he found nothing

The Drenched guard comes back up the the lad and says "when was the last time you seen your mate"

The traveller boy puts his hand out and says "its was here boss,between these two pieces of bread"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

pebbles21 wrote: »
    There was a young traveller sitting on o connell bridge crying. A Guard approached him and asked what was wrong

"me mate is gone boss,me mate is gone"

The Guard jumps into the liffey to try and save his mate and after a frantic search he found nothing

The Drenched guard comes back up the the lad and says "when was the last time you seen your mate"

The traveller boy puts his hand out and says "its was here boss,between these two pieces of bread"

Irony of the day ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

owenc wrote: »
    Yes, some english people add r's to their words... the ones in my class do it all the time... for example they say pastera instead of pasta.

Pastera... Isn't that a heavy metal band?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I don't quite know where people get the idea that English people add syllables to loads of words - except for 'Engerland' (which, as someone pointed out, is just easier to chant than England) - I've never heard it done.

Someone said they know English people that use the word 'pastera'?; that's just ridiculous. Most of us do know how to talk properly (even Brummies!); don't get me started on the Black Country lot though, that's how we'd talk if we were all simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

brummytom has never caught the buzz have yow?

tman wrote: »
    Pastera... Isn't that a heavy metal band?:confused:

No thats how some of them say pasta... i don't know how they do that mind you its really hard, i've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

brummytom wrote: »
    I don't quite know where people get the idea that English people add syllables to loads of words - except for 'Engerland' (which, as someone pointed out, is just easier to chant than England) - I've never heard it done.

Someone said they know English people that use the word 'pastera'?; that's just ridiculous. Most of us do know how to talk properly (even Brummies!); don't get me started on the Black Country lot though, that's how we'd talk if we were all simple.

Well i'm not lying... theres a teacher in my school from luton and thats how he says pasta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Engerland is where the retards live

Advertisement