Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

• 29-04-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Ok the title is OTT the main aim is to run as fast as possible for the distance and actually race a half rather then "just getting around" I'm not sure that a sub 1:30 would be anyway possible but targets will change during the plan. No harm to aim high right?

Well after weeks and weeks and weeks of stupid smaill injuries i'm back in action now and just ticking over at the moment. The plan for the next 3 week is to keep with the base building until I start my new training plan.

I've decided that I would take the whole training plan out of my hands so will be working with a custom plan thats been provided.

Target race is going to be the national half marathon in September and I hope to go as fast as possible in this. My current Pb stands at 1:59 but I could break that if I races in a couple of week and feel that I should be well capable of going sub 1:40... how much fast I'm not so sure.

So from the 17th May I'll be starting a 20 week half marathon plan, This is almost as long as most marathon plans but the whole reason is to run a really fast half marathon at this time. You never know if all goes well it could be a 1:2x ;)......

So between not and the start of the plan its lots of easy miles, strides and some 1k reps but miles , miles miles are the key.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

shels4ever wrote: »
    Ok the title is OTT the main aim is to run as fast as possible for the distance and actually race a half rather then "just getting around" I'm not sure that a sub 1:30 would be anyway possible but targets will change during the plan. No harm to aim high right?

Well after weeks and weeks and weeks of stupid smaill injuries i'm back in action now and just ticking over at the moment. The plan for the next 3 week is to keep with the base building until I start my new training plan.

I've decided that I would take the whole training plan out of my hands so will be working with a custom plan thats been provided.

Target race is going to be the national half marathon in September and I hope to go as fast as possible in this. My current Pb stands at 1:59 but I could break that if I races in a couple of week and feel that I should be well capable of going sub 1:40... how much fast I'm not so sure.

So from the 17th May I'll be starting a 20 week half marathon plan, This is almost as long as most marathon plans but the whole reason is to run a really fast half marathon at this time. You never know if all goes well it could be a 1:2x ;)......

So between not and the start of the plan its lots of easy miles, strides and some 1k reps but miles , miles miles are the key.

Best of luck. With a bit of hard work and some luck you'll deffo go sub 1 hr 30!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Best of luck with the new training and goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Best of luck. With a bit of hard work and some luck you'll deffo go sub 1 hr 30!!

deffo is a bit of a strong word but going to give it a good lash.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Good stuff Shels and best of luck with it, the national 1/2 is on my hit list also. have you any info on it other than the date?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sub 90 half is my goal for after edinburgh too so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Fantastic title, nothing like laying down some ambition from the start! Best of luck with the training and the racing, a sub 1:30 half would be some achievement.

Woddle wrote: »
    Good stuff Shels and best of luck with it, the national 1/2 is on my hit list also. have you any info on it other than the date?

Only have the date myself at the moment so hope to get more info once its decided.

Sub 90 half is my goal for after edinburgh too so I'll keep an eye on this thread. Good luck with it!

I'm a long way from that shape at the moment but who knows what can happen over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Shels the way i see it if you can run 20 weeks - 30 or more miles a week, stay injury free and still get enough speed work in and keep the diet good, you ll have a great chance.

Think the key for you is not to have any injury set backs. best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with the training - I'm looking forward to picking up a few tips.
    Only advice I'll give for the HM is tempo, tempo, tempo.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good luck with the training - I'm looking forward to picking up a few tips.
    Only advice I'll give for the HM is tempo, tempo, tempo.

Yep. Early in the program i will be using tempo, but mid way i'll switch to fast finish long runs.

5 miles easy in the park was great to get out today after been sick for the last few days.

Folowed up with a light core session.

Thursday 13th May.

4 miles very easy. @ 8:55 pace.

nobody in the park tonight was super.

Friday 14th
    30 min cycle + core work .

Sat 15th
    7 miles easy with last 2 miles faster.

Felt great today mainly due to a very slow pace for the first 5 miles, last2 miles were nice just to hurt a little.

Sunday 16th

30 mins easy run with 4 X 80m strides .

Very easy day today felt like doing an extra 20 mins but going to take it really easy for the next couple of week to stay injury free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

good luck with the training,seems like alot of time to take of your pb.
    what have you run for 10k?

tempo wrote: »
    good luck with the training,seems like alot of time to take of your pb.
    what have you run for 10k?

Yep its a huge chunk, But I feel I would have ran 1:43-4 last summer. Also there is no time on this so It might take me 12 months to do(if ever), Main aim is to run as fast as I can and stay injury free.

Training for the half in September and after that will focus on the cross country season. Only 10k i've ever races was 54 mins but thats now an easy training run.

I know I can run a 1:3X half mara if I put the work in and stay injury free but i'd rather fail at hard target then set an easy one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭tempo

you will have to take atleast 10minutes of your 10k to achieve your goal time for the half........
    what are your short term goals ie when will you start your race phase period?what distances will you race in the lead up to the half marathon?

have you any small goals ie weight,flexibity,core work,gym ect

Yep I would expect to need to be in sub 40 shape to run that time. But that will come with time.

Well the training plan kicks off tomorrow and I'll now focus on stamina building and increasing my mileage slowly and staying injury free. The initial plan was for a 6 week Stamina phase followed by a 6 week speed phase then a peak phase. But I will extend the stamina phase out by a furhter 2-3 week as I feel its where I will see most improvment.

I am planning on racing a number of races during the summer roughly 1 per month some will only be as time trials but others will be races . Everything going well I'll look for a 5k late july and a 10k early August to target . The Adidas 10 mile is a week too last for me as its only 2 weeks prior to the race so may only do this as a tempo run, But will play that by ear.

The main goals are
    1. Run alot ( lots of easy runs) . Lots of easy mile will be the main focus for the next few week, I'm not worried about time at all.
    2. Stay injury free. Regual sports massage from now on, will be booking in next week again and plan to keep this up.
    3. Lose weight. This is an area that i've improved on over the last 2 week, diet is very good now.
    4. Keep up my core work. Started on a corse session last week and hope to keep this up, and a few other areas to add to this but will introduce them slow. Just want to build that habbit.

Monday 17th
    40 mins easy running. Legs are starting to feel like i'm running again now. Followed up with some core work and working my calf on the foam roller.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 18th
    Planned rest day today as I was planning on 3 days on 1 day off. But feeling great today so might do a 3 mile jog/walk at lunch time later in work, better then sitting in the office I guess.

Core session this morning, Starting to really enjoy my training first time in months with out any pain. :)

Wed 19th

A shade under 6 miles today in the park with 5 X 80 strides (uphill)

Did an extra mile today as I met one of the lads from work while out in the park so joined him for a bit. Nice and warm out today.. :)

Thursday 20th
    Easy 4 mile recovery run, very very slow run today. what a super day first day i've trained in a singlet this year and was still hot...

Core work and foam roller session after the run.

Friday 21st

4 miles @ 9m/m today in the park really wanted to do more today, But I'll be doing a longish run tomorrow so kept to the plan.
    Very strange run today passed 3 people with dog all put their dog on leads when I was getting close. Went out of my way to say thanks.. Not to other dog owners...
    What a day for running somethign about hot weather makes you want to run fast(ish)

Well plan to run the intel 10k tomororw as we have a team from work running. Won't be racing this just getting around the course If i'm close to 50 mins i'd bevery happy. Hope its nice and hot tomorrow i love this warm weather :)

Well the plan today went out the window and I was happy jsut to get around the course, Started out with a very relaxed couple of k @4:55 pace but got to 5 k and died, legsfeltok but justno enegry.

Was never planning on racing this would have just stopped if I wasnt part of a team so kept going (just about) .Total miles today 7 felt terrible but enjoyed it also.

On the plus side its been my best weeks running in about 5 months and zero pain in my shin/calf . Will race the 5k in lucan to see where I am in a few week time. Tomorrows run is going to be an early one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Not to worry - that heat today was exceptional - there'll be better days ahead.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Not to worry - that heat today was exceptional - there'll be better days ahead.

Its funny i'm strangly happy with a really bad run , I know ineed lot and lots of miles and it will come in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Unlucky shels but man that was hot, I missed my run due to a hangover and then refusing to run in that heat :D so at least you got out, anyway the upcoming 5k will have some better answers no doubt ;)

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    Unlucky shels but man that was hot, I missed my run due to a hangover and then refusing to run in that heat :D so at least you got out, anyway the upcoming 5k will have some better answers no doubt ;)

Thakns not really down to luck more the lack of quality training. Its good to get a kick in the ass ever now and then, and i'd say come lucan i'll run a lot better.
    Yep very hot today and have a nice farmers tan now ...

Advertisement