Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Need help in identifying this movie:

i can only remember two scenes of this movie, i believe it was set during the depression in America.

In one scene, two men who have been travelling together start to have an argument (they might be thiefs on the run). One of the men has a shotgun, and the other man takes it from him during the argument, and whilst standing in a muddy field he pretends to be leaning on the shotgun while in fact he's deliberately pressing the end into the mud blocking it. After the argument he hands it back, and turns his back on him expecting him to shoot him in the back, which he does and he dies.

Near the end of the movie:

The man then takes a job repairing a roof in the countryside for free food and board whilst hiding from the police, when one day he notices several people moving towards the house, he realises its the police and he's no chance of escape, he sends the owner of the house down as not to be hurt, i remeber the owner saying as he goes down that it was not him that turned him in, and the man says 'i know you didn't'.

That's all i can remember, i think he made sure he wasn't taken alive.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Thanks matey! :) Decent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Think its a English short movie, about a child who plays with model planes, gets bulied, think he tries hanging himself with his tie. His mother threatens all his classmates with a knife, he trades his model plane for a football with another child.
    Think it features the song You Will Never Walk Alone

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

I remember some time around 2004 - 2006 watching a bit of a film one night on, presumably, rte1 or network 2; there was a young boy in it, transported back to the time of world war 2 in Ireland and he was found by a family who looked after him. I remember the kid was wearing a metallica t-shirt which I thought would have been considered odd by a 60 year old Irish man in the 1940s! Just curious if anybody recognises this film?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

tvercetti wrote: »
    Think its a English short movie, about a child who plays with model planes, gets bulied, think he tries hanging himself with his tie. His mother threatens all his classmates with a knife, he trades his model plane for a football with another child.
    Think it features the song You Will Never Walk Alone

I'm pretty sure that's Damien O'Donnell's 35 Aside.

Synopsis from here:
    Phillip is having a hard time in his new school. He is the only one left out of the football team, and he is also being bullied. As his father is in prison, it falls to his mother to sort out his nasty classmates, which she does with stunning aplomb.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hope someone can help me.

Years ago I watched a German film. It was about a Jewish lawyer in Nazi Germany who fled with his wife to Kenya right before the start of the war. They spent the war there in a British internment camp. Afterwards he was invited back as a Supreme Court judge in the New German judiciary. She stayed behind to mind the farm in Kenya. Then she fell in love with a German actor who looked suspiciously like Robert Redford.

Any help in identifying this film would be great! I remember really enjoying it at the time but can't for the life of me remember its name or much else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

Denerick wrote: »

Years ago I watched a German film. It was about a Jewish lawyer in Nazi Germany who fled with his wife to Kenya right before the start of the war. They spent the war there in a British internment camp. Afterwards he was invited back as a Supreme Court judge in the New German judiciary. She stayed behind to mind the farm in Kenya. Then she fell in love with a German actor who looked suspiciously like Robert Redford.

Any help in identifying this film would be great! I remember really enjoying it at the time but can't for the life of me remember its name or much else about it.

Sounds like "Nowhere in Africa"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere_in_Africa

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Denerick wrote: »

Definitley sounds like Nowhere in Africa like brian_t said. Think it might have got the best foreign language oscar the year it came out. Great film, must rewatch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭doh777

The film involves, at some point in it, a group af survivors who find themselves stranded in the middle of a desert, possibly after a plane crash, not sure.

There's perhaps 6 or 7 of them. Adults and one or two children, maybe more.

At some point one of the child survivors, a young boy, possibly blonde, burys either one newborn golden labrador puppy or a number of them, alive I think, in the sand. (Not 100% on the breed).

He may have been advised to do so by one of the adults as the dogs would not have survived the ensuing arduous trek through the desert towards salvation, limited supplies and water etc.

Something along those lines. Possibly dates from the seventies.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

doh777 wrote: »
    The film involves, at some point in it, a group af survivors who find themselves stranded in the middle of a desert, possibly after a plane crash, not sure.

There's perhaps 6 or 7 of them. Adults and one or two children, maybe more.

At some point one of the child survivors, a young boy, possibly blonde, burys either one newborn golden labrador puppy or a number of them, alive I think, in the sand. (Not 100% on the breed).

He may have been advised to do so by one of the adults as the dogs would not have survived the ensuing arduous trek through the desert towards salvation, limited supplies and water etc.

Something along those lines. Possibly dates from the seventies.

The first thing that came to mind was Flight of the Phoenix, but I'm not sure if there was anything involving dogs in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lironmo

hi I once saw a movie that starts with a boy that finds himself in the next world where
    everyone are ghosts which means he is dead. in the movie he meets a girl and fell in love with her.
    he want to go back with her to the living world but in order to do so they need to get on a flying train
    that takes them to a course where flying hammers try to him them so they forget who they are. the girl
    in the movie is burnt when light touch her. can someone identify the movie for me? thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Seen this advert years ago with a load of guys in a room, each had a gun i think, with 1 bullet and either the chamber spun or some guys didnt have bullets at all, the lights go out and they had to pull the trigger, I cant remember anything else :(

pretty sure it was a foreign movie maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

Seen this advert years ago with a load of guys in a room, each had a gun i think, with 1 bullet and either the chamber spun or some guys didnt have bullets at all, the lights go out and they had to pull the trigger, I cant remember anything else :(

pretty sure it was a foreign movie maybe?

A group playing Russian Roulette. "13 Tzameti" comes to mind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_Tzameti

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Thats it, :D much obliged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Asking on behalf of a friend,below is her description,I imagine its a short.
    It's a cartoon with a kid pope, set in the Vatican and there's a scoreboard with
    Oprah Winfrey first and the Vatican second, the whole plot is set around them getting richer than Oprah.the kid pope cycles around on his tricycle building up static on the carpets and shocking people with the charge.

• Asking on behalf of a friend,below is her description,I imagine its a short.

"Popetown" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348983/
    According to this link, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/3646420/Yes-its-offensive-and-worse-still-dull.html
    "Three cardinals sit around the pool devising evil ways of getting even richer than Oprah."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

A group of teenagers are in a fun fair (I think they get locked in). May have been the early 1980s.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Worztron wrote: »
    A group of teenagers are in a fun fair (I think they get locked in). May have been the early 1980s.
    There is a Horror Film called "The Funhouse" 1981 by the director of "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre."
    It has a group of teenagers, who hide in a funhouse, while the carnival is shutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

There is a Horror Film called "The Funhouse" 1981 by the director of "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre."
    It has a group of teenagers, who hide in a funhouse, while the carnival is shutting.

Yes, I think thats the one. Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

i don't have much to go on here. I reckon it's probably a late 70s early 80s movie (part of the whole post-StarWars craze). Sci fi movie. It's lots of running around and shooting.

The one specific thing I remember about the movie is the hero (and possibly the other characters too) had a quite unusual laser gun. I can't remember exactly what it looked like but if you've ever seen the laser pistols from the80's show 'V' ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDpaDpckAjY ) then imagine this heros laser gun almost looked like he was holding that gun upside down, ie it had a big handle that went all around the fist and a nozzle that was under the wrist.

Does this sound familiar to anyone here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Tindie

Maybe it's Starcrash (1979)?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Maybe James Woods in VIDEODROME.

Or a scene from LASERBLAST? :confused:

addition - I could be totally wrong but I have this really vague memory like the hero had a family with him during an escape scene - maybe his own family , maybe one he was working for.

(I don't think it's Starcrash or Laserblast (and defo not Videodrome cos I know that film well) but thanks for the guesses so far)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I need some help proving my mother is not batshít insane.

She swears she seen a trailer for a film this week (could be cinema/dvd/tv trailer so don't know how new/old the film is) that had a young boy looking at a book - she says he was around 10 years old, maybe younger. Then you see him sitting down up really high, like on a crane or on some scaffolding or something, and many people below are looking at him. There's something about the time, and a black man says something about him having the key to the universe or something along those lines.

No idea, she's probably mad. She's been varnishing doors around the house this week, I'm sure its the fumes but is there any chance she's not raving? Any ideas?

I need some help proving my mother is not batshít insane.

She swears she seen a trailer for a film this week (could be cinema/dvd/tv trailer so don't know how new/old the film is) that had a young boy looking at a book - she says he was around 10 years old, maybe younger. Then you see him sitting down up really high, like on a crane or on some scaffolding or something, and many people below are looking at him. There's something about the time, and a black man says something about him having the key to the universe or something along those lines.

No idea, she's probably mad. She's been varnishing doors around the house this week, I'm sure its the fumes but is there any chance she's not raving? Any ideas?

Thats a new TV show called Touch. Kiefer Sutherland is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Animated movie from late 90s I think.
    Things I remember: kid with glasses(main character) ,books(vague),some adventure he has with his friends where he's a wizard or something and that at the end of the movie a tree house and the kid wakes up likes it a dream.

I know this isn't much to go on but please help me !

paddyzk wrote: »
    Things I remember: kid with glasses(main character) ,books(vague),some adventure he has with his friends where he's a wizard or something and that at the end of the movie a tree house and the kid wakes up likes it a dream.

Perhaps this?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110763/

paddyzk wrote: »

Hardly The Pagemaster starring Macauley Culkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

kitakyushu wrote: »

Thank you soooo much :) thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Great thread!
    I'm looking for the name of a (maybe black-and-white) movie from the 60s or 70s (could be much older though) about an inspiring male teacher in a isolated school, in a rural - cold- area. Might have been from Northern Europe. I watched it in France subtitled as a child, so don't remember much, but it gave me my vocation!
    Anyone?

Advertisement