Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Am i entitled to a physical copy of my payslip?

• 15-01-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I recently got a job in a large english retailer starts with a t (dont no if i'm allow say the name), anyway the first 3 weeks i had gotten a phisical payslip and after that was told that we would have to get them online form now on.

Now this isnt much of a problem for me but form the amount of people i'v talk to it affects i would say 50% of them as this assumes that you have the interent , or you have a computer or know the how to use a computer. (alot of people dont know how to use a computer or have the internet this surprised me.)

After telling management about the above and printing out the payment of wages act plus alot of people complaining personal manger put up sign if you want a pc to print out your payslip come at certain times of certain days and bring your manager.

i would normally say this is fine but that must of the managers in there are at best not helpful and more normally dismissive and igornant, there is alot i can say here but you get the idea and this post is long enough.

So the question is can i and rest of the worker get by law a phisical payslip as far as i can tell the other branches give phisical slips (were only opened 3 months) or is an online slip enough to satisfy the law here.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Why not go into the pay office each and every week and ask them for a printed copy as
    a) you don't own a computer (they can't ask you to prove this)
    b) you don't have access to the internet
    C) you have no way of printing them off.
    my friend has just started getting online slips a while back(think its just cost cutting) i suggested the same and now she gets hard copy

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

tombom112 wrote: »
    I recently got a job in a large english retailer starts with a t (dont no if i'm allow say the name), anyway the first 3 weeks i had gotten a phisical payslip and after that was told that we would have to get them online form now on.

Now this isnt much of a problem for me but form the amount of people i'v talk to it affects i would say 50% of them as this assumes that you have the interent , or you have a computer or know the how to use a computer. (alot of people dont know how to use a computer or have the internet this surprised me.)

After telling management about the above and printing out the payment of wages act plus alot of people complaining personal manger put up sign if you want a pc to print out your payslip come at certain times of certain days and bring your manager.

i would normally say this is fine but that must of the managers in there are at best not helpful and more normally dismissive and igornant, there is alot i can say here but you get the idea and this post is long enough.

So the question is can i and rest of the worker get by law a phisical payslip as far as i can tell the other branches give phisical slips (were only opened 3 months) or is an online slip enough to satisfy the law here.

Thanks for any help
    No unfortunately, as we have trying to go paperless as much as possible you are not entitled to get a physical payslip, my suggestion would be to do the following, if you do not mind? mangers do think they are above doing such manual labour and can be very unhelpful, try find someone who is computer literate and get them to show you how to download your payslip and print it off, as he/she is doing it write down what they are doing type it out and get them to type out step by step insturctions and let it be known who has these steps and after a while all of you should be able to do it for themselves. Please take this in the way I mean it, a lot of people are not computer literate (including my own partner but then again he gets easily lost so a sat nav is never on his present list) I personally give the useless managers any satisfaction in letting on that you are unsure how to do this. Usually u have a employee number and can usually excess what you want from that, but each company have different ways of doing things. The reason why they other retails outlets may not have fully gone computer whatever, Sorry after reading your thread again maybe you could write down step by step instructions and help your friends if you have the time. Good luck.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

YOUR WELCOME:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It may be legal but wouldn't hurt getting the union/shop steward to put pressure on them to at least give physical payslips to those who have no pc/internet access or are computer illiterate. I understand that they are providing a pc to print them but the fact that you need a manager just seems like something that could cause resentment- time taken in work to print them off, manager's being too busy etc. I worked in a large Irish retailer- D, heavily unionised,probably your T's competition! for a few years up until a few months ago. Physical payslips all the time, anything else would have caused uproar as there are a lot of older employees and several with disabilities. So see what your Mandate shop steward has to say? I hope the situation gets sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

Thanks everybody for your reply's,
    i've spoken to the mandate rep, and she says she's lookin into it, since its a new store union stuff is very limited, there was a meeting and only 3 people showed up, course i would of been there but i or anyone in my section did'nt know it was on so hard to get people to it

hey jimmynokia As far as printing a slip i'm goin to look for that even though i dont need to and i'll try getting other people to do the same.its the fact that people are fearful for their jobs and the manegment is playing on this weather on purpose or not and people are not looking for their slips because they dont want what will be fobbing off till they get to a point of thinking their a pest and stop asking in case anything happens to their employment.

there other stuff more serious than the slips, but it seems with the link to that document that their all doing it, maybe give up this battle and pick the ones i know i can win, I'm making sound like a war but dose feel like it.

anyway thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

You should be given a pay slip every week or every pay day. You shouldt have to go looking for it on line. Whatever you do make sure you save them incase there is a pay dispute in a few years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The unions agreed to it late last year.

You can view them on you mobile.
    Managers can't print them off as they would need your password.
    If possible get a friend to print them off or the library, but I wouldn't recommend this if your weren't confident in computer security.

Maybe the long version of the payment of wages act may have something you can use:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/act/pub/0025/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

From the payment of wages act section 4 :

4.—(1) An employer shall give or cause to be given to an employee a statement in writing specifying clearly the gross amount of the wages payable to the employee and the nature and amount of any deduction therefrom and the employer shall take such reasonable steps as are necessary to ensure that both the matter to which the statement relates and the statement are treated confidentially by the employer and his agents and by any other employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In writing doesn't necessarily mean on paper, though.

TBH, I don' think this is a good battle to fight. You're just killing trees, and proving that you're a Luddite (with apologies to the good people of Ludd).

That said, it is good to take a printout every time your pay changes, and at key points (eg end of financial year).

Thought that, bit ambiguous no mention of online in 1991.

The thing is there are no computers with printers and internet access available for staff. Any available have sensitive info on them so are secured.

I'm surprised the Mandate wasn't able to fill you in on how the move was passed.

Sorry to hear you don't find the managers helpful, it's in their job description!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭tombom112

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you don't find the managers helpful, it's in their job description!

Ha :D my last job where again i was'nt paid a huge ammount (wholesale and retail), our manager was good guy and knew that when treated people with manners and little respect you get alot more out of thoses people to achive the targets he had to achive.

Then maybe i was spiolled with the manners and respect, but look at me now, treat me and everyone else like **** and goin to find any oppertunity to throw it back them, anyway i'm off to rally the troops if their bothered:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The fact your store is new is a problem. Is this happening in all T's? They've been here a good while, there must be a good store of employees who have worked for them for 10+ years etc. Can you get Mandate to ascertain whether or not this is in all stores? Could get a bit of a group going if it is. It really is essential to see your payslips in places like this- they have your exact holiday pay, sick pay if paid, and any major mistake with clock-ins should show if you were previously unaware. Not that you shouldn't fight this stupid decision, but I'd be a bit careful if I were you since you're likely on probation being new. It might save paper but they are wasting HR, management, and staff time!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... Not that you shouldn't fight this stupid decision, but I'd be a bit careful if I were you since you're likely on probation being new. It might save paper but they are wasting HR, management, and staff time!

It might be better to fight to have a computer with a printer and limited internet access (just to the payslip system, say), in the staff room.

The fact your store is new is a problem. Is this happening in all T's? They've been here a good while, there must be a good store of employees who have worked for them for 10+ years etc. Can you get Mandate to ascertain whether or not this is in all stores? Could get a bit of a group going if it is. It really is essential to see your payslips in places like this- they have your exact holiday pay, sick pay if paid, and any major mistake with clock-ins should show if you were previously unaware. Not that you shouldn't fight this stupid decision, but I'd be a bit careful if I were you since you're likely on probation being new. It might save paper but they are wasting HR, management, and staff time!

The unions agreed to it late last year.

It is company wide.

It was rolled out between Nov and Jan.

some staff in the co would ave 25+yrs service.

I think pc in the canteen is the only way to do it, but it wouldn't be private enough, if you didn't want anyone else to see your wages. I just realized I don't know anyone else with a printer. You would prob need a hard copy to query your pay.

well i hope the head office person who came up with this got their prize for idea of the month!

Advertisement