Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playground games & Kiddy Rhymes

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How do kids come up with these names?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sounds like something that was a word, and the word got half-remembered, or the accent varied a bit and it ends up as semi-nonsense. Yin, tan, tetra and eeney meeny miny mo both were apparently old counting systems but they only really survive now as half-remembered folk memories preserved in childrens' games.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Samaris wrote: »
    Gah, skimming over the last few posts is what suddenly connected the dots. That's what we used "olly-olly-oxenfree" for, that Relieveyo/Elallio game.
    Relieveyofor me. Possibly a child's sort of contraction/modification of relieve-me-oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budsalt

Antone remember a game played with a long stick and a small piece of stick, several inches long? The short stick was placed on a lowish wall with the end projecting. Then with the long stick, you had to hit the projecting piece upwards (i.e. from underneath) and then, while it was in the air you had to hit it as far from the wall as possible. (now, the mind fades and I'm not sure how the game continued) Probably your opponent had to get the short piece back to the base of the wall by hitting and end of it making it jump into the air and while up, you hit it back towards the wall. I think the number of hits to get it back was counted.

There was something repeated before the the small stick was hit away from the wall but I fail to remember that. A name springs to mind - possibly Kitty out? It used to be played a lot at school but that was over 60 years ago!

I remember this one,it was called 'catty stick' the small stick was pared with a knife at each end. It was placed on the ground and you would belt one of the pointed ends with the big stick and when it was in the air you belted it again to see how far you could get it to go.

Where you going, Bob?
    Down the road, Bob.
    For what, Bob?
    For rhubard.
    Can I go, Bob?
    No, Bob.
    Why, Bob?
    Cos you don't like rhubarb!

We used this rhyme as a ball game, two tennis balls against a wall!!! Hours of fun.
    Kids now-a-days just don't know how to have fun without spending a load of money.

• Advertisement

budsalt wrote: »
    I remember this one,it was called 'catty stick' the small stick was pared with a knife at each end. It was placed on the ground and you would belt one of the pointed ends with the big stick and when it was in the air you belted it again to see how far you could get it to go.
    That's the one alright. Well done, budsalt.

It amazed me as a kid that my mother, who was ancient (well 35 maybe) could play two-ball against a wall much faster and more accurately than me or any of the other kids. Including the bounce ones and the under your leg ones (in spite of her skirts). Mindboggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

looksee wrote: »
    It amazed me as a kid that my mother, who was ancient (well 35 maybe) could play two-ball against a wall much faster and more accurately than me or any of the other kids. Including the bounce ones and the under your leg ones (in spite of her skirts). Mindboggling.

Good grief woman, why can't you do that? I CAN! Even in my sixties! I taught my daughter to do it, but for some reason she can't do it as fast or fluidly as wot I can! I'm GRRRRRRREAT for me age! :D:P

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Good grief woman, why can't you do that? I CAN! Even in my sixties! I taught my daughter to do it, but for some reason she can't do it as fast or fluidly as wot I can! I'm GRRRRRRREAT for me age! :D:P

Ah now JB, I didn't say I can't do it now (tho I can't) I just could not achieve her skills as a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

Jellybaby, are you doing lessons? :D I'd so love to be able to do this again, but I can't remember how we did it!

• Advertisement

'Course I'll teach yiz! Meet me in the alley-alley-oh tomorrow at 11 o'clock! Bring sweets! :D

I couldn't find any Youtoob video for ball games but I stumbled across this on the RTE archives. It brings back memories. I bet if you took a camera to a Dublin housing estate to film kids playing you'd (a) be arrested, and (b) wouldn't find any kids out playing at all! This is the link, scroll down until you find "Children's Street Games and Rymes".

http://www.rte.ie/tv50/clipoftheweek.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I remember my very first playground escapade at infant school, (unsure why I can't remember what I was doing 5 mins ago) After a few minutes running around playing tick (tag) Someone shouted out "LIONS" and every one headed over. I thought to myself it was an exciting new game.

But this was down in the Black Country, near Wolverhampton. What they were actually shouting was "LINES" where all the kids lined up ready to be counted back into class.

I felt a fool even at that tender age. :)

Aw, you must have looked a picture Rube! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

poppyvally wrote: »
    Chinese government, black man's daughter
    Tra la la was a very good scholar
    The wind blows high...........that's all i remember. Anyone ever heard of it?

That's got me now, it was

Chinese governor, black mans daughter tra la la la la la
    The wind blew high over the sky and out comes (whatever child was "on")
    With the big blue eyes

Advertisement