Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New DIT Campus - Grangegorman

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'll need to spend a lot more than the original plan would have cost but they can definitely still CPO it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If a suitable site for relocation can't be found, is it the case that the CPO compensation will have to include compensation for potential future earnings?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

monument wrote: »
    If a suitable site for relocation can't be found, is it the case that the CPO compensation will have to include compensation for potential future earnings?

CPOs are meant to work on comparable purchase price if at all possible.

However, there isn't as crap a petrol station inside the canals to compare to - the few others there are are much better equipped than it; and haven't been sold recently so no market value is available.

I'm not sure what the fallback method is now for a business premises; in the old days it was based on profits but that can be very very misleading for a low margin high staff business; fuel retailing being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The campus is really starting to take shape. This time next year it should be well on its way to becoming a modern higher education campus with the infrastructure works complete, grass established on the pitches, the Greenway Hub all but complete and the Central & Eastern Quads out of the ground. As for the Broadstone entrance, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

I looked at the revised Part 8 and permission was granted for the revised development with the maxol lands excluded by the look of it. loony tunes but there you go. It is noteworthy that no real mention of this is on the Facebook pages or anything. However the aerlal shots are nice.

What about the western entrance St Josephs place and Fingal St are ridiculously tiny to get through to the main nearby commercial area. Shea's Court sounds a much smarter option.

PS : Anyone know why they are digging up perfectly reasonable playing fields and replacing them with playing fields

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Can you link to this part 8?

trellheim wrote: »
    What about the western entrance St Josephs place and Fingal St are ridiculously tiny to get through to the main nearby commercial area. Shea's Court sounds a much smarter option.

Shea's is private and gated. The others are public streets.

The ideal solution is the redeveloped of the mostly non-residential space between the street and the campus and as much permeability added as possible.

Part re-development of the shopping centre should be done to allow for direct access.
    PS : Anyone know why they are digging up perfectly reasonable playing fields and replacing them with playing fields

Because they are aiming to make the best use out of the space which was there before hand -- on one part of that end of the site hazardous waste of some type was left for years securely corrnered off, old club houses etc were knocked down, parking places removed beside the pitches, rear access rearranged for residents etc.

From the NTA:

City’s newest campus accessible by bus, bike, train and Luas

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/bus-forms/transport-minister-welcomes-sustainable-transport-focus-at-grangegorman/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Will DIT now get University status? And if so, does that mean my degree will then be a University degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Will DIT now get University status? And if so, does that mean my degree will then be a University degree?

DIT, IT Tallaght & IT Blanch are merging into a "technological university", probably won't have any effect on previously awarded degrees though.

• Advertisement

Shea's is private and gated. The others are public streets.
    I drove up Shea's the other day. some is indeed private, there is a gated estate off to the side, but the road does not seem to be. Looks ideal for the purpose.

Ref the Part 8

go to http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/find-planning-application

and search for 3727/13 as the application reference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Just incase anybody is interested, they are currently pouring the floor slab of the fourth floor in the the new Research Hub in Grangegorman. Here's the view from the deck. Excuse the quality of the pics, but only had my crapy work samsung phone.

15590240080_1ea7ca47c6_c.jpg
    View from the 4th floor of the Research Lab, Grangegorman, Dublin 7. by kceire, on Flickr

15590241270_247e002625_c.jpg
    View from the 4th floor of the Research Lab, Grangegorman, Dublin 7. by kceire, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Great images kceire - almost makes me wish I had a few more years to go. That view has a very american campus feel to it with the grass and trees.

I drove up Shea's the other day. some is indeed private, there is a gated estate off to the side, but the road does not seem to be. Looks ideal for the purpose.

Once you go in a bit there's gates in all directions between the main road and the campus.

But even if it was possible, extra permeability north of it (ie along Prussia St) would be best practice.

Ref the Part 8

go to http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/find-planning-application

and search for 3727/13 as the application reference.

Was not aware there was motorised access allowed to the campus from Broadstone... or is this supposed to be just for construction access?

328195.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

monument wrote: »
    Was not aware there was motorised access allowed to the campus from Broadstone... or is this supposed to be just for construction access?

328195.PNG

If I remember right this is for construction and limited staff car parking when the college opens.

Its a while since i looked at the detailed proposals but i remember a focus on public transport solutions where possible. some of the buildings will have sub level carparks, i don't remember any above ground, so that will seriously improve the aesthetics of the place and help promote that its a car free enviroment.

If i remember right cars that are allowed on campus are not simply able to drive around, but rather direct access to and from each car park only. They are not building streets but rather pedestrian avenues where cares are tollerated

Ive posted this video before but I think its work posting again. This is what the broadstoen gate is meant to look like if they can move the Maxol garage. I still have not heard a thing about that yet.

? have a look at the planning app I posted ... shows them building around it ?

December newsletter is out

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

I noticed yesterday evening that there is metal hoarding around the Broadstone petrol station, something about it moving/closing. I was in a taxi so didn't get a good look. Anyone know anything more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

matc66 wrote: »
    I noticed yesterday evening that there is metal hoarding around the Broadstone petrol station, something about it moving/closing. I was in a taxi so didn't get a good look. Anyone know anything more about this?

Noticed this as well - says closing 31st/12/2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Great that the projects (Grangegorman and Luas BXD) can go ahead as planned, without a sellotape solution being necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Gonna miss that petrol station though....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Noticed this as well - says closing 31st/12/2014.

Yeah, 100% closed. Workers in there today removing pumps etc

The garage is pretty much gone now.

Also on the latest aerial photographs if you look at the Broadstone Gate you can see all the work that is being done that is not visible from the road

https://www.facebook.com/382314786412/photos/pcb.10152917312161413/10152917310721413/?type=1&theater

Interesting. Wonder what grease was applied to get the garage to move !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

From the GDA Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I agree it is good news that the old maxol station is closed to facilitate the development of Grangegorman DIT would have been a shame if it caused the plans to change, but it was a good low price petrol station close to the centre of town

There has been no big announcement from the GGDA for a while now. I thought the contracts for the central and eastern Quads were to announced early this year so that students could be in them in September 2015.

They are cutting time very close now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Is it possible yet to walk through the campus from Grangegorman to the NCR?

Advertisement