Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Windows has stopped working' (blue screen)

• 15-01-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey all, I was on my PC last nite and stupidily managed to knock it over whille trying to pull a wire out from underneath the tower. Anyway it was running at the time and fell off the desk. It didn't get that hard of a knock as the bed kind of saved it but got a bang none the less.

Anyway now when I try to start it I've been getting a blue screen on start up. Here is the message and the error codes:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
    xxx STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x806F6998, 0xf7bce5dc, 0xf7bce2d8)

Does anybody know if it is possible to get windows back up and running or is my computer ready for the skip? :(

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Stop errors dont mean much, probably reinstall windows, worst a new hard drive.

Dont keep starting it up, may do more damage.

You have everything backed up :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Run one of those scan disks for bad sectors on your hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

cgarrad wrote: »
    Stop errors dont mean much, probably reinstall windows, worst a new hard drive.

Dont keep starting it up, may do more damage.

You have everything backed up :rolleyes:

No I've nothing backed up but don't really mind as I can get it all again. Do you know anywhere in Dublin that can do this repair?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Check your hard drive cabling is connected.

ICE HOUSE wrote: »
    Check your hard drive cabling is connected.

Sorry but I know absolutely nothing about computer hardware so I'm definitely not capable of checking for things wrong inside the computer. I don't even know how to open it up in the first place. The fault must be something has got knocked out of place or broken inside since the computer fell off a desk. I want to get it repaired asap so does anyone have any recommendations of places in Dublin city where I can drop this in, and have it looked at?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Pic's or it didn't happen:D

Go on, go on, go on - Get a screwdriver, a camera and open her up. we'll have a gander at it for ya.

*beats paying through the nose to have it fixed, no?*

you tried recovery? http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/61b82a69-226c-4917-9ca1-610d24f0c1d7

CSU wrote: »
    Pic's or it didn't happen:D

Go on, go on, go on - Get a screwdriver, a camera and open her up. we'll have a gander at it for ya.

*beats paying through the nose to have it fixed, no?*

you tried recovery? http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xprepair/thread/61b82a69-226c-4917-9ca1-610d24f0c1d7

The tower is over 2 years old and was only €250 from Dell new. If the repair is anything over €70 I'd be better off just buying a second hand tower on adverts. I just need the computer for basic use such as college and interenet browsing. Sorry but I don't have a camera so can't post pics. Do you think the repair (just getting windows back running, not updating computer and making it faster etc) would cost much? I assume there are places that will give me a quote first?

Advertisement