Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to next for GTA..?

• 04-11-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭

So the buzz has died down for GTA V and it was a good 'un....

- improved graphics
    - increased map size with unbelievable detail and exploring potential
    - new approach to player engagement
    - fantastic story and fun characters
    - wide variety of missions
    - for the most part, great value in the online mode
    - limitless hours of free-play shinanigans

Question is, where do Rockstar go from here? Will it more of the same with a different setting, if so - where? Would they redo a previously used location or brand new? Would there\could there be new and improved ways of immersing us into the GTA world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I would like to see them try a setting outside of the US, but I doubt it could really work. Satirizing American culture is such a huge part of the joy of GTA, I don't know how they could substitute for it if they opted for something different.

What other US city could they use? Maybe Chicago. Although I think no-one would be averse to seeing a living breathing New York in the latest engine, so Liberty City will always be there or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Baltimore. Based on the wire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Wouldn't say the hype is dying down, after all, the next-gen games are coming out in 10 days..

Also, after Watch Dogs, they aren't going near a fictional Chicago.

Detroit, Hawaii, Washington, San Francisco (San Fierro), Las Vegas (Las Venturas), Miami (Vice City) are the likely choices I feel. Perhaps somewhere in Mexico/Texas is a possibility, who knows.

I'd be happy with any of them, but if they did Vice City, I'd hope they'd expand to include the Everglades and Key West, maybe if possible either an island south (Bahamas) or further north of Miami with areas like Tampa Bay, Orlando and Palm Beach possible areas.

Also, I always liked the two countries element of Red Dead Redemption. Two cultures. It was a nice contrast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I want a return to vice city/miami. Just like GTA 5/los Angeles, it is a bright and colourful city and wouldn't depress the sh!t out of you like GTA 4s city atmosphere did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Some kind of multi City game, definetly could do with revisiting vice city could pair it with New Orleans, could do some kind of Liberty City in the new engine with London also.
    I want to see a Nightcrawler mode in Gta v too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Vice City or Los Venturas in the next gen engine would be sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well the next step is Next Gen and 1st person mode. Looks amazing.

Next game wise, I think it would be class if they released like an expansion pack with another island connected to San Andreas that you could still go back and forth between islands. Next Gen Vice City would be amazing but they could also add that as an expansion to V.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Outside the US, maybe Tokyo or London.

Rather another Red dead or at least heists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Another vote for Vice City here too, I would love them to go back to the 1980s as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I think a multi-island map is the next step, something like SA and Liberty City mixed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think San Fierro would be a nice next move. It's sort of the neglected city in SA IMO and I think there's huge scope there.

As for mechanics and stuff, I really want them to focus on interiors at some point. Like, the games are always good at once off interiors (like the LifeInvader offices in V, that lawyer's office in IV) but they never really feel like part of the world to me. I'd love a game where you can run into random office buildings and go mental flipping desks and sh*t. Or even just massive shopping centres and shops, bring back the nightclubs from TBoGT, maybe bring back burglaries... that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Well the next step is Next Gen and 1st person mode. Looks amazing.

Next game wise, I think it would be class if they released like an expansion pack with another island connected to San Andreas that you could still go back and forth between islands. Next Gen Vice City would be amazing but they could also add that as an expansion to V.

What do you mean, looks amazing - is this already available somewhere or just a hack on PC?

Could the size of the map get bigger? Or the most pertinent question....should it get bigger than GTA V? If so, where do you draw the line..?

That was one thing about RDR that kinda got to me....you only have a horse and you have to traverse this huge area - i know its different in CTA with cars\planes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What do you mean, looks amazing - is this already available somewhere or just a hack on PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

DarkJager wrote: »
    I think a multi-island map is the next step, something like SA and Liberty City mixed.

That's what I think too. Not sure if it's possible on consoles but imagine GTAV's Los Santos, a modern day Vice City and Las Venturas all in one game? It would be life ending.

sheehy83 wrote: »

That.looks.class

It would be like a whole new experience!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Could the size of the map get bigger? Or the most pertinent question....should it get bigger than GTA V? If so, where do you draw the line..?

That was one thing about RDR that kinda got to me....you only have a horse and you have to traverse this huge area - i know its different in CTA with cars\planes etc.

IMO there's not much point having a massive map if most of it is empty. RDR really suffered from that for me. Sure it fit in with the setting, but after a while the wilderness just became something I had to traverse to get to something interesting as opposed to it being the interesting thing I was getting to.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    IMO there's not much point having a massive map if most of it is empty. RDR really suffered from that for me. Sure it fit in with the setting, but after a while the wilderness just became something I had to traverse to get to something interesting as opposed to it being the interesting thing I was getting to.

Wow. I loved that landscape. That was the best part of that game. It was beautiful.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Wow. I loved that landscape. That was the best part of that game. It was beautiful.

It was beautiful, yes. But there was very little to actually do in the world. I mean, you could go hunting animals or randomly encounter bandits. That was pretty much it in the vastness of that world. And if you went out there and shot someone in the middle of it, an entire posse would magically know where you are, so that basically evaporates all semblance of aloneness.

I find the same in GTAV and previous in GTASA. Sure the maps are massive, but a lot of it is just wilderness with nothing happening in it. Sure, it's pretty to look at, and fun to explore for a while, but after a while that just wears thin for me.

I found that GTAIV held me a lot more because even though the map was smaller, I was able to find a lot more to do within the city.

I'd like if they focused on just a city like LC again and make it sprawling and vast, throw in a whole heap of interiors, massive tower blocks, tenements, etc to explore, and I'd be happy as a pig in plop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It was beautiful, yes. But there was very little to actually do in the world. I mean, you could go hunting animals or randomly encounter bandits. That was pretty much it in the vastness of that world. And if you went out there and shot someone in the middle of it, an entire posse would magically know where you are, so that basically evaporates all semblance of aloneness.

I find the same in GTAV and previous in GTASA. Sure the maps are massive, but a lot of it is just wilderness with nothing happening in it. Sure, it's pretty to look at, and fun to explore for a while, but after a while that just wears thin for me.

I found that GTAIV held me a lot more because even though the map was smaller, I was able to find a lot more to do within the city.

I'd like if they focused on just a city like LC again and make it sprawling and vast, throw in a whole heap of interiors, massive tower blocks, tenements, etc to explore, and I'd be happy as a pig in plop.

I don't think you explored RDR enough. I fell in love with wandering aimlessly after coming across some random guy out walking. No horse, just him by himself. He walked for a bit, sat himself down, sighed, took out a pistol and shot himself in the head. Little stuff like that make exploring so much fun. I don't recall anything like that happening in the built up Liberty City, and I love Liberty City.

To be fair, cops magically appear in gta too. It isn't like real life, take murder, where detectives must track you down over weeks, months or years. In gta, if you kill someone the cops are on top of you within seconds. I guess this feature of fast law is necessary in these games.

Saipanne wrote: »
    To be fair, cops magically appear in gta too. It isn't like real life, take murder, where detectives must track you down over weeks, months or years. In gta, if you kill someone the cops are on top of you within seconds. I guess this feature of fast law is necessary in these games.

Oh definitely.

I just find it jarring in RDR whereas in GTA I can easily suspend disbelief because I can rationalise it as "It's a city, of course there're loads of cops everywhere, and it's reasonable to assume someone saw me butcher this hooker in this alleyway from their apartment across the street."

Oh definitely.

I just find it jarring in RDR whereas in GTA I can easily suspend disbelief because I can rationalise it as "It's a city, of course there're loads of cops everywhere, and it's reasonable to assume someone saw me butcher this hooker in this alleyway from their apartment across the street."

I dunno. I've never seen a city with cops on every street. Quite the opposite is often the case. It's just not realistic. But it is necessary for this game.

By the way, now that I think of it. Marshalls never appeared instantly for me in rdr. I seem to recall that if you murdered in the wild and killed all witnesses, you got off Scott free. Now that is real.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Surely there will be a few add ons (episodes etc..) to GTA V before the next big release of 6,

and I would imagine whatever they do with 6, it will be epic. Look at how much they managed to get out of consoles that were 6-7 years old when V was released.

Think of what they are working on now that they have the next gen's in their hands. I'm sure there is a team somewhere, exploring the potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Yeah, I'd echo what people say about being able to explore buildings more. It would make the city seem more real. Would love to be able to go into a random building and have a nosy about.

I'd like to see it return to Vice city. Think it would look gorgeous on the new gen consoles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

San Diego/Tijuana with a cartel and drug storyline.

Edit: side missions can include sneaking immigrants across the border or acting as border guard and sniping at cartel crossing the border, cooking meth in a caravan in the desert in a limited time before cops converge on you, something with Shamu at Seaworld, Ron Burgandy cameo, man this thing writes itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

I had my hopes up for San Diego and Tijuana type city being in V from the very off, along with Orange County and maybe Palm Springs just a little east of LA. High expectations looking back, but Southern California screamed those places to me when I first heard Rockstar talk about it.

New Orleans is also a potential future destination, but after Infamous 2, I'm not sure they'll go there for many years, if at all.

If Vice City is brought back, it will be a modern day setting, and I think that will disappoint a lot of people. The 80s theme made Vice City, well, Vice City.

Oh, and after Max Payne, GTA in Brazil would be interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Kharrell wrote: »
    I had my hopes up for San Diego and Tijuana type city being in V from the very off, along with Orange County and maybe Palm Springs just a little east of LA. High expectations looking back, but Southern California screamed those places to me when I first heard Rockstar talk about it.

New Orleans is also a potential future destination, but after Infamous 2, I'm not sure they'll go there for many years, if at all.

If Vice City is brought back, it will be a modern day setting, and I think that will disappoint a lot of people. The 80s theme made Vice City, well, Vice City.

Oh, and after Max Payne, GTA in Brazil would be interesting too.

I think there is potential for an era spanning epic, the story of criminal gangs rise to power set over the 70's, 80's and 90's to present day, with scope for several cities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Surely the next GTA is 5-6 years away! :(

Advertisement