Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you treat randomers? (Online)

• 03-11-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭

Just checking what the general consensus is when you come across a dreaded randomer Online. I open this thread because an enounter at the weekend got me thinking.

I had built my Halloween Murder car from scratch pumping a lot of money into it. Then went to Ammunation to stock up. A randomer came in and ran around the shop. He left and stayed standing near my car, I could see on the map. I waited a minute for him to F* off but he wouldn't so I hightailed it out of there and went into cover behind my car with my new machine gun out but no reaction. He was just standing there looking at me being friendly. However, I was in full Halloween murder mode and making friends wasn't on the agenda so jumped in the car and got the hell out of there only to be blown to bits by a sticky the B@stard left on my car.

I hunted him down but he went off the radar and then left the game. I was absolutely fuming, didn't matter he had to pay my insurance but the whole thing just put a dent in my halloween massacre :(

So, I know it depends what mode you're in as in, no time to deal with a randomers, on my way to meet up with the lads or Kesh's view like when a randomer waves at him, it's a secret signal that it's Rambo go time, but what do you generally do when you come across a randomer....

What do you do when you meet a randomer online? 57 votes

Play nice, hopefully they're nice too and go have the craic together
    0%
    Shoot first, ask questions later
    36%
    Vincent VegaCJX-3X12CSUTiGeR KiNgSAwayWithFariesx43r0happyoutscanThe J Stands for JayKells...XtraFalconmutley18DipStick McSwindlerSureYWouldntYaJBokehTopper7AndyBoBandymatthew the statueAronaayChip Whitleydaryl88 21 votes
    Pull a U-Turn and get out of there ASAP
    36%
    ShamoPsychedelicJohnermiralizeirish_goatGavRedKingKenno90CatmologenCelly SmuntHoop66The DomonatorgizabeerRandomfriendJ. MarstonmartomcgjackrusselKenjataimukfrpDANNY2014Oisin4 21 votes
    Pretend to be friendly but sticky their vehicle
    8%
    Mc LoveFlecktarnZero-Coolaaronjumperthebag89 5 votes
    Something Else....Post details below.
    17%
    Gone WestDUBLINHITMANFrankie5Angelsdannyc1Royal IrishFAILSAFE 00HingoTitzon Toastpower pantsFarty88 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll kick off by admitting I pull a Uey and get the hell out of there. Like coming face to face with a wild snarling dog, just freeze for a moment, act friendly, backing up slowly, and when near my car jump in and tear off, not stopping til I reach Chiliad :o. I don't trust any of them damn randomers!

I think it's more to do with the fact I get heavily invested in revenge and can waste an entire online session hunting down a guy for killing me once, forgetting that that's kinda the point of the game.

Saying that, the odd time I came across a friendly, there were some class times of just going round having the craic but way too far and between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

After a while you realise shoot first is the only option and that's not by choice.

I used to give randomers a chance but you nearly always end up dying. Even those who beep their horn or wave have a trap set up .

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    After a while you realise shoot first is the only option and that's not by choice.

I used to give randomers a chance but you nearly always end up dying. Even those who beep their horn or wave have a trap set up .

hbyzqn5.png

I go by etcher's tactics of getting your revenge in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

I give them the benefit of the doubt but if they screw me over I will hunt them relentlessly. You can have great fun with randomers if ye both play nice.

My favorite encounter is the time I was being chased by the cops on foot, death was imminent. This car comes out of nowhere and stops in front of me so naturally I hop in and we embark on an epic cop killing adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Was down getting me ole piggy mask the other nite by the beach this guy was driving down the way so I took guns out and waited this guy pulled into an alley it all felt a little he ain't getting me first if ya know what I'm saying so I went along and there he was a randomer so I POPPED HIM good. Hooker got outta car so I finished her too (no offence to anybody working in that line of work) he was just trying to av a good time but hey shoot first ask questions ltr...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Was down getting me ole piggy mask the other nite by the beach this guy was driving down the way so I took guns out and waited this guy pulled into an alley it all felt a little he ain't getting me first if ya know what I'm saying so I went along and there he was a randomer so I POPPED HIM good. Hooker got outta car so I finished her too (no offence to anybody working in that line of work) he was just trying to av a good time but hey shoot first ask questions ltr...
    His maker won't know if he was coming or going...

=-=

I usually just attempt to run them over, as I'm useless on the PS3. Roll on the 27th of Jan :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

We need another option: All of the above!

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    We need another option: All of the above!

Yeah, I've done all of the above but wanted to see peoples 1st reaction. If you were playing now, randomer popped up beside you and you had to instantly choose an option :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If they suddenly appeared beside me or were being obvious about following me I'll start shooting mostly, or throwing sticky bombs out the windows.

If I'm alone in free-roam at any particular moment im generally chasing someone while running away from someone, shooting randomly, thinking about getting a jet, going off the radar & calling mercenaries, cursing the cops, climbing Mount Chiliad & trying to burn the whole damn place to the ground.
    In a friendly way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Like frank ward did to cc.off with his legs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I used to be the nice guy who would help other players but you cant trust anyone in this game, not even Crew members ;)

So I just get the hell out of there or shoot first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

I used to be the nice guy who would help other players but you cant trust anyone in this game, not even Crew members ;)

So I just get the hell out of there or shoot first
    Tell me bout it... the other nite proco kept killing me while doing that glitch...

Its a handy glitch when you have someone who can be you eyes and direct you to the other players before being accidently shot and having to logout and login again :D

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Tell me bout it... the other nite proco kept killing me while doing that glitch...

Twice... I killed you twice... that I know of :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭KeshFM93

Just smash everyones face in if they are within 500yards of you, they'll thank you for it in the long run.

And as for GTA, just kill players in new and interesting ways , and use a different gun/weapon each time, it helps keep the magic alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I keep my distance, stay away from me and I'll stay away from you.
    Now and again though the old trolling urge gets too strong, especially when Simeons high priority vehicle is involved.

Oh God yeah, if someone goes for that little green dot on the map, they are fair game for attacks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Auto shotgun or AP pistol to the FACE! Yo

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

Unless you have a BRDS tag, you're a dead man walkin'. I reckon I've paid more peoples insurance excess for blowing up their cars then I've done for mine combined.

the odd time I play nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

If I'm in the mood I usually approach other random players first with no weapons drawn and give them a two hand wave or beep of the horn.

Good way to provoke people and give you an idea of what type of player they are.
    If killed, I either get out of there, or exchange killings for as long as they seem game.

Sometimes they respond with their own gesture or hop in passenger seat.
    I've had some great evenings messing about with strangers from all over the world with gestures and actions being the only shared form of communication.

I'm mostly nice to randomers, because i think making new unpredictable sidekicks really adds to the fun of online.

Yeah thats true, me and Etcher were in a session when I first joined Boards and we were on a train, he had a Bounty on him, 2 english lads came on and one of them decided to try to get the bounty, they finally figured out we were on a train and started following us.
    Me and Etch just sniped them from the train, sometimes we would toy with them and snipe their wheels lol
    One of them ended up adding us as friends and we still have a good laugh when we end up in the same session.
    He knows how bad my driving skills are so he never lets me drive hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Oh God yeah, if someone goes for that little green dot on the map, they are fair game for attacks :D

I'm awful innocent and like to deliver the car. Well, try to anyway....

Thanks to the guy in the buzzard waiting outside the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

As soon as i join a session, ill check my ammo and stock up if need be. Then wherever the action is i'll be there. If i see a red or even pink icon i'll kill them. It means they are no angels and have been recently involved in trouble. I've tried to cut down recently on blowing personal vehicles as it costs far too much in insurance.. If a player reverses at me in a zentorno, he's getting a rocket up his ass.
    I actually felt really bad the other night for griefing low levels with crew member Rurpled....It was total carnage.:D
    It all started because myself and Rurpled were flying stuntplanes and doing a few loops when one of them came in a lazer and spoilt the party

Sometimes i do like to be a peaceful player just driving around beeping at randoms and picking them up.
    I'm the type of player that will blow you away as you are robbing a store or buying clothes but just as easily i'm the player that will come and pick you up if you are running from the police and drive you to safety...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Sometimes, if I've picked up a randomer in my car, I'll call in a mugger and stop long enough for them to get pulled out and mugged.
    They shouldn't have gotten into a cars with a stranger in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sometimes, if I've picked up a randomer in my car, I'll call in a mugger and stop long enough for them to get pulled out and mugged.
    They shouldn't have gotten into a cars with a stranger in the first place...

You're just being generous and allowing them to get the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

McGaggs wrote: »
    You're just being generous and allowing them to get the trophy.
    They're welcome to it, once I've had my fun that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

...poll results are sadly too true.

I like being nice in my jelicopter XD

...once i chased a submarine for 3 hours, best craic i tell ya.

Guns are shiite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

''Crush, kill, demolish''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

In all seriousness, I started out a nice guy, quickly became a monster only interested in my K/D ratio. All non crew shall die.... and some crew :D

Advertisement