Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oil heating issue

• 08-11-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Can anyone tell me what the problem may be with my heating. I am resigned to calling someone out but I'd like to be able to point them in a specific direction.
    My boiler is starting up and my pump is working but the rads don't heat. I have bled the boiler the rads the pump , reset the pump and the boiler. There is water in the tank and water in the rads and there is no problem with the oil supply.

The boilers works away grand but as there is no hot water leaving the system it will just cut out when it starts to overheat. My father suggested there could be rust in the pump ? Is this possible? The heating was not used last year so it's been idle for a long time. There was a lot of air in the rads to be honest but none now. I am lost now can any one help? I am trying to keep costs down and trying to find a good plumber. Also I am worried about how much access to the house a plumber would need as I have an adult with a few disabilities and autism and he won't tolerate anyone in the house apart from me his mum. I am desperate , can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Peanuts and cheese

My boiler is an outside encased cosyman by Gerkros and it's 5 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Is the circulating pump spinning?
    Could it be broken fins on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Can anyone tell me what the problem may be with my heating. I am resigned to calling someone out but I'd like to be able to point them in a specific direction.
    My boiler is starting up and my pump is working but the rads don't heat. I have bled the boiler the rads the pump , reset the pump and the boiler. There is water in the tank and water in the rads and there is no problem with the oil supply.

The boilers works away grand but as there is no hot water leaving the system it will just cut out when it starts to overheat. My father suggested there could be rust in the pump ? Is this possible? The heating was not used last year so it's been idle for a long time. There was a lot of air in the rads to be honest but none now. I am lost now can any one help? I am trying to keep costs down and trying to find a good plumber. Also I am worried about how much access to the house a plumber would need as I have an adult with a few disabilities and autism and he won't tolerate anyone in the house apart from me his mum. I am desperate , can anyone help?

Well its a circulation problem, so firstly how sure are you that the pump is working ?? when you bleed the rads was the water clean ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Peanuts and cheese

Well it's making noise but may not be working. Water was not crystal clear from rads but it was clean enough , not blackish by any means . Thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Well it's making noise but may not be working. Water was not crystal clear from rads but it was clean enough , not blackish by any means . Thanks for the reply
    When the boiler is cold, remove the screw at the end of the pump housing and check to see if the armature in the pump is rotating.if its not rotating ,turn off power and using a screw driver see if you can rotate armature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

I'd second the pump.
    Hit it with the handle of a big screw driver. Now I don't mean bounce off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Is the pump low down? It's probably jammed with silt after lying idle. A good tap might get it running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

If you have silt/rust in the pump and introduce this into the system you will circulate all the crap into every other fitting and valve. Bad idea. I would isolate the pump with the pump valves and remove and clean it first to see if it is rusted up or blocked. If it is, replace it, as they are not expensive whereas having your whole system flushed is. If you turn the boiler on the pump should vibrate and get hot if it is pumping already as the hot water circulates. If it does not vibrate I would remove and service as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

If there is silt in the pump you can bet it's in the rest of the system too. I wouldn't suggest the OP isolate the pump, if it has been on the system for any length of time you can bet the pump isolators will leak when interfered with.

If that avenue is needed i would suggest he calls a plumber in incase new pump valve's are needed.

Advertisement