Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chevron training.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It will only happen when there is a serious incident that high-lights training / knowledge shortfalls with some of the people servicing boilers.
    Because most oil boilers are outside, the C.O. risk to someone is a bit lower, but nonetheless it is still a danger and needs to be kept in check using a Flue Gas Analyser. I would think that the days of the oily rag and dustpan service on oil boilers are numbered, but regulation is not going to happen today or tomorrow unfortunately.

In Douglas, Cork last febuary I had to repair an indoor Firebird SQ with 70% of the fire door board missing !
    Co levels were 1800ppm
    Clients got a deal off a coupon website for €50. two weeks before.
    They only rang me as they thought I did the service and they spotted old lable.
    You can imagine what I said as I hadn't been to that house for 7 years.

Thank god they had a co alarm. But what can I do about the "regestered" cowboy.
    In oil we have nowhere to report them as nobody was killed .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Over the last 2 - 3 years I have been called out to approx 200+ broken down pumps. Out of that number I have had to replace less than 10 of them, the rest I have repaired on site, most of them fixed within an hour.
    do you carry much spares with you im not to familiar with repairing them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Most of the pumps (95%+) that I get calls to in the Apt complexes are Stuart Turner Negative Heads (usually 330N Model).
    For the 330N, I usually carry 2 PCBs (most common item to go and they can be used in a positive head as well as the old ST 55 type models), 2 Capacitors (change them with the PCB but I buy them in Elec wholesaler for less than 1/2 the mod plant price), 2 sets of NRV, 1 pressure switch, 1 flow sensor.
    These parts with maybe the exception of the Capacitor and the Pressure Switch are not interchangeable with other pumps.
    I get very few calls for Grundfos (does it say something?) and I can pick up parts for them on the way.
    If its a Techflow I pass it over to another chap who carries a lot of spares for them and any other pumps we try to repair rather than replace but if they are old and battered its usually better to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Most of the pumps (95%+) that I get calls to in the Apt complexes are Stuart Turner Negative Heads (usually 330N Model).
    For the 330N, I usually carry 2 PCBs (most common item to go and they can be used in a positive head as well as the old ST 55 type models), 2 Capacitors (change them with the PCB but I buy them in Elec wholesaler for less than 1/2 the mod plant price), 2 sets of NRV, 1 pressure switch, 1 flow sensor.
    These parts with maybe the exception of the Capacitor and the Pressure Switch are not interchangeable with other pumps.
    I get very few calls for Grundfos (does it say something?) and I can pick up parts for them on the way.
    If its a Techflow I pass it over to another chap who carries a lot of spares for them and any other pumps we try to repair rather than replace but if they are old and battered its usually better to replace.
    Fair play you seem to have things sussed out.

Ok guys just to "clarify" there is absolutely NO way for me to get RGI registered to work on gas at this stage there is no "month" course or additional exams references, referees or aptitude test etc etc I would have to spend a year in the uk to get my exams there correct ? If I got the HETAS H003 H004 and OFTEC 50,101,105e,600a I still would not qualify ? Is there anywhere else in Europe that I could do a course in to get qualified ? As you can probably tell I am very pxxxed off not to be able to do this as it is something I really wanted to do and a certain trainer still has the old rules on their website they have not bothered to update it.
    With regards to appliance repair which course would be best as this might have to be my second choice. Thanks to all who have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

As far as the Appliances i would recomend approaching engineers not in your area and ask them if they would be interested in taking on a unpaid trainee (or you maybe willing to pay a fee)for a number of weeks, with appliances its practical experiance you require what you get on the coarse an Engineer can talk you through between jobs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Big Davey wrote: »
    Ok guys just to "clarify" there is absolutely NO way for me to get RGI registered to work on gas at this stage there is no "month" course or additional exams references, referees or aptitude test etc etc I would have to spend a year in the uk to get my exams there correct ? If I got the HETAS H003 H004 and OFTEC 50,101,105e,600a I still would not qualify ? Is there anywhere else in Europe that I could do a course in to get qualified ? As you can probably tell I am very pxxxed off not to be able to do this as it is something I really wanted to do and a certain trainer still has the old rules on their website they have not bothered to update it.
    With regards to appliance repair which course would be best as this might have to be my second choice. Thanks to all who have helped.

And you did not believe me for what reason? :-)

HETAS is solid fuel. OFTEC is oil. They both provide no route into gas.
    The only route you have available is go to Northern Ireland or the UK & do the 6 month City & Guilds full time course followed by a 6 month full time apprenticeship programme, then get certified in the UK.
    You can then do a swap over exam for Ireland but this will only be valid for your 5 year certification in the UK. You would need to re-sit all exams both in the UK & Ireland every 5 years.
    Or, once you completed the UK certification, do the full GID course here & register here. This would not require the maintenance of the UK Cert. The UK initial cert would be an entry route for the GID.

shane0007 wrote: »
    And you did not believe me for what reason? :-)

HETAS is solid fuel. OFTEC is oil. They both provide no route into gas.
    The only route you have available is go to Northern Ireland or the UK & do the 6 month City & Guilds full time course followed by a 6 month full time apprenticeship programme, then get certified of the UK.
    You can the. Do a swap over exam for Ireland but this will only be valid for your 5 year certification in the UK. You would need to re-sit all exams both in the UK & Ireland every 5 years.
    Or, once completed the UK certification, do the full GID course here & register here. This would not require the maintenance of the UK Cert. The UK initial cert would be an entry route for the GID.
    I did believe you I just wondered if there was anything we missed and wanted to check one last time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 williewarmer

nonsense. i just finished gis a couple of weeks ago in fas. 3 out of 8 where electricans. the other 4 had no plumbing criteria. other than one lad worked selling pumps. see the fas criteria below. min is oftec 101. but they dont care. bring a letter from a providers you deal with was the criteria.

Based in DUBLIN 10 Course Code BAQ96
    Course Description Evening Course
    The aim of the course is to upgrade the skills and knowledge of persons in gas safety features, to enable them to work safely on domestic installations and non-domestic gas pipework. This course was designed in order to provide the Irish Gas industry with personnel who are skilled to work safely on domestic installations and non-domestic gas pipework. Topics covered in this Mopdule: Regulations and legislation related to the Gas industry, constituents and properties of natural and liquid petrolum gases, combustion testing, natural draught burners, flues, ventilition requirements, flue tests, routing and installing gas pipe work, installation of LPG cylinders and bulk storage tanks, gas rate, heat input and pipe sizes of various installations, safety features required for gas fired heating systems and procedures when installing domestic central heating system.

Course Certification
    FETAC Certificate in: Gas Installation - Safety 01A

Modules:
    Gas Installation - Safety - Evening
    Requirements
    Applicants must have reached the current statutory leaving age.
    Any one of the following: 1. National Craft Certificate in allied trade/European equivalent of NCC. 2. City & Guilds Certificate (Advanced) in allied trade. 3. Department of Education Snr. Certificate in allied trade. 4. Completion and Apprenticeship Certificate. (Anco/FAS) 5. OFTEC/IOI Certificate (issued UKAS)
    The ability to communicate with customers effectively and pleasantly.
    Post apprenticeship experience is desirable.
    Ability to work at heights desirable. A full class B driving licence is desirable.
    Selection Criteria
    Details Min Standard Required
    Other Criteria: Proof of related trade cert/union card/1 year experience and a letter of Intro from gas company (appointed signatory) or OFFTEC 101.
    Start Date: 05/11/2013

End Date: 10/12/2013

Duration: 5 weeks

Location: This course will commence on Tuesday 5th November 2013 next and will run for two nights per week Tuesday & Thursday (5.30pm - 9.30pm) for 5 weeks. There is an open night scheduled for Tuesday 1st October next at 6pm. If you do not attend the open night we will assume that you are no longer interested in the course. Please note that places are allocated based upon the date of your initial application in your local FAS office.

Well we all know the history of FAS!
    As it correctly states allied trades or OFTEC. This is still applicable until 31st December 2013 but GID must be successfully completed in full by this date also. So if you have OFTEC completed or an allied trade, of which electricians are considered allied trades, you can commence the GIS. Once you successfully complete GIS, this will allow you the entry requirement for GID.
    Thems are the rules. If FAS bends those rules to suit themselves, I would hope that RGII will pick up on it & disallow "grey area" registrations.

• Advertisement

well why dont rgii ask fas for the certs (minimum standard oftec 101) YOU WILL FIND THEY ACCEPT A LETTER FROM A BUILDERS PROVIDERS. SURE ANYONE CAN GET A LETTERHEAD AND SAY THEY BUY PLUMBING MATERIALS. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE. because they are keeping them sefls in a job. the course i done would not have gone ahead with 4. there was only 4 met the criteria.

if they cant keep to the min criteria now. what chances of it happening after 31 december. rgii handed out registration to one of these guys recently. rgii are as bad. why did they not ask for minimum criteria aswell as fetac 6 cert (gid).

rgii is as bad as fas. if it was not dangerous. it would be funny.

You seem to be very annoyed with the system before you even get involved with it.

If you obtain your registration with RGII under false or inaccurate requirements, your registration maybe revoked at a later date.

If FAS are allowing candidates through their doors that do not meet the minimum requirements, then their certification process can and has been suspended in the past. The only one that suffers is the candidate.

If you feel an injustice has been done, you can always report it directly to RGII or better still to the certification bodies themselves. Always best as a recorded delivery in writing, requesting a response in writing also.

rgii is as bad as fas. if it was not dangerous. it would be funny.

What experience do you have of RGII?

i would have served me time and worked with some of the founder members. probably before your time.

id know more about rgi and its foundation , than you might think.

i would have served me time and worked with some of the founder members. probably before your time.

id know more about rgi and its foundation , than you might think.

Good man. You're not from Cork by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Big Davey wrote: »

Hi Davey you seem to have your heart set on getting into the trade .would there be any way you may be able to get experience via an internship on non domestic appliances just an idea!

no wicklow.

big davey. you can get oftec gis and gid done before xmas between chevron and metac. check the dates yourself.

OFTEC is minimum 3 week course. GIS is also a 3 week course, and GID is a 6 week course. Even if all courses were timed perfectly, that's a minimum of 12 weeks. Even Santy can't put Christmas back that far.

You seem to be very annoyed with the system before you even get involved with it.

If you obtain your registration with RGII under false or inaccurate requirements, your registration maybe revoked at a later date.

If FAS are allowing candidates through their doors that do not meet the minimum requirements, then their certification process can and has been suspended in the past. The only one that suffers is the candidate.

If you feel an injustice has been done, you can always report it directly to RGII or better still to the certification bodies themselves. Always best as a recorded delivery in writing, requesting a response in writing also.

sorry just got this post n my email. i dont care who gets registered with rgii. i would not have even done the course. it was the social welfare made me. i have property rented and make money of the rents. properties are in ne. but i make enough on the rents to keep me going. because they are in ne. i also get the full dole. so im happy out.
    i have a few friends rgii registered. they talk about minimum criteria. i just though i would advice there is no minimum criteria. i hope the day i go to the doctor to save my life. he did not hand in a leteer from the local butchers to get his cert.

if i could advice. i would say do the oftec and take it from there. id bet you will still be able to do the gis and gid with oftec next year.

• Advertisement

i dont care who gets registered with rgii. i would not have even done the course. it was the social welfare made me. i have property rented and make money of the rents. properties are in ne. but i make enough on the rents to keep me going. because they are in ne. i also get the full dole. so im happy out.

Glad to see you can contribute so much to the economy. Says a lot for FAS too I guess. Best of luck with your property empire & dole fraud.

Glad to see you can contribute so much to the economy. Says a lot for FAS too I guess. Best of luck with your property empire & dole fraud.

no i told them i had 6 houses. because they are in ne, i am entitled to the dole. i own my own home outright. but they dont use that as capital. thats the truth.

i dont want to work at he plumbing anymore. its a young mans job. the way i look at it is, if i start doing boiler servicing . i would only be taking the work from a younger man.

i do contribute to the economy. i have to pay property tax on my rentals and i still have a tax return.

yes that oftec is a 3 week course. just go ahead do that course before xmas and put your name down to start gis before or just after xmas. id say you will still be ok.

best of luck

ps the exams are easy. the gid is open book. (cant make it any easier) they give you handouts with the answers before the test and also give you 2 or 3 shots after answering them. piece of piss. dont worry about experience to pass them. get the certs and then the experience. its always been like this.

if you want an elite club lads. i would advice that rgii have the only gid course center and there minimum criteria is met and confirmed by them before you get a place on the course.

with the tests (not open book) corrected and supervised by an independent body and exam papers only known by them. TESTS REPEATED EVERY 5 YEARS.

wounder how many read this will have faith in the gas trade.

ps the exams are easy. they give you handouts with the answers before the test and also give you 2 or 3 shots after answering them. piece of piss. dont worry about experience to pass them. get the certs and then the experience.

I give up......
    i dont care who gets registered with rgii.
    i hope the day i go to the doctor to save my life. he did not hand in a leteer from the local butchers to get his cert.

I guess you might care if you let one of your family members live in one of your properties & somebody with your attitude & training turned up to service the gas boiler & killed them.
    Perhaps people like yourself should take a bit of responsibility for their actions. It's not all about a free ride & perhaps when this is realised, our country might actually begin to recover.
    If FAS is actually promoting that crap, they should be shut down immediately.

Unfortunately for the OP, Big Davey, he will miss the boat. It is unfortunate that somebody who is genuine & extremely keen to join a professional profession cannot, as usually in my experience, people with those traits become decent & contienious engineers.

I give up......

I guess you might care if you let one of your family members live in one of your properties & somebody with your attitude & training turned up to service the gas boiler & killed them.
    Perhaps people like yourself should take a bit of responsibility for their actions. It's not all about a free ride & perhaps when this is realised, our country might actually begin to recover.
    If FAS is actually promoting that crap, they should be shut down immediately.

Unfortunately for the OP, Big Davey, he will miss the boat. It is unfortunate that somebody who is genuine & extremely keen to join a professional profession cannot, as usually in my experience, people with those traits become decent & contienious engineers.

if anything i mentioned in my previous post on this thread is incorrect. please highlight for the public. ps ....can ou tell me if you did it a different way. no open book or 2/3 chances and the exact sample papers before the test. the 3 centers are the same.

if anything i mentioned in my previous post on this thread is incorrect. please highlight for the public.

Well if you stop editing/changing your posts, people might be able to make up their own minds about your posts.

I give up......

1.I guess you might care if you let one of your family members live in one of your properties & somebody with your attitude & training turned up to service the gas boiler & killed them.
    2. Perhaps people like yourself should take a bit of responsibility for their actions. It's not all about a free ride & perhaps when this is realised, our country might actually begin to recover.
    3.If FAS is actually promoting that crap, they should be shut down immediately.

4.Unfortunately for the OP, Big Davey, he will miss the boat. It is unfortunate that somebody who is genuine & extremely keen to join a professional profession cannot, as usually in my experience, people with those traits become decent & contienious engineers.
    1. including you, all the exams where done the same way. i service my my own boilers. i know im breaking the law. but 30 years experience as a gas fitter is better than open book imo. 2. free ride , how much tax do you think i contributed in my life time and still do. for the properties i own. i recon i paid almost 200k stamp duty.3. i gave you a solution in previous post. its not just fas , its them all. 4. imo id advice him to do the oftec before the year ends and register for gis course. id say he will be ok.

Well if you stop editing/changing your posts, people might be able to make up their own minds about your posts.

i am on my new phone. i rectified spellings. i did not change.

ps ....can ou tell me if you did it a different way. no open book or 2/3 chances and the exact sample papers before the test. the 3 centers are the same.

No centre is allowed to give the answers before the exam & I certainly know this is not common practice.
    There is nothing wrong with open book exams. Pass rate is 100% with 2 attempts + plus an oral. First attempt must achieve 80% pass rate otherwise the exam is failed.
    When you are in the real world, a condition of your RGII registration is that you always have at hand a copy of your regulations. The exams emulate this & you are allowed your books & regs with you in the exams for this reason. It is also the same practice in the UK & is an accepted method throughout Europe Certification bodies.

Where you have failed is if you were subjected to a deceitful exam process/practice, you should have objected & not wing it on an open public forum after the fact. For me, I do not believe that FAS would be that stupid to adhere to such a practice as you describe for it was not that long ago there were slapped for something similar.

Or in fact, did you not bring it to the attention of your high up friends in RGII?

• Advertisement

i am on my new phone. i rectified spellings. i did not change.

I'm glad you're back though. It's been a bit boring here since you were banned.

Let's the good times roll again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement