Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horizon TV- Awful?

• 24-08-2013 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 15 cliff grebouwski

Hi Guys, just wanted to see if people were having similar issues with Horizon to me:

Here's a few observations- please feel free to add to theses:

1) The interface is terrible AND slow. Click- nothing happens, click 5 times, nothing happens THEN 10 seconds later- all the clicks register.

2) Why the hell can't you see what's on now AND next AT THE SAME TIME?!?!?! Seriously, this is insane and makes finding anything to watch near impossible.

3) Similarly, how do you bring up the current channel's now/next bar without going into a menu/changing channels? You used to be able to just use the arrows and look at what was on other channels. It's bloody ridiculous that this isn;t possible.

4) Wi-Fi Range and speed of connection- haven't done huge testing here, but indications are that both are much worse than the old system.

5) The remote- much nicer looking, but the numeric buttons are tiny and too close together making channel changing a but of a gamble. WHY?!?!?!? Good luck to the older generation with this one.

6) I think it's worth saying again, it's waaayyy too slow- almost unusable in my opinion, click, wait, click wait. Eventually something might happen.

Have only been using Horizon for a couple of days, but my initial impressions are that it is insultingly bad, no one testing this could have not noticed how bad it is, so unintuitive.

Clearly UPC have gone for flash over usability. Please god let there be a software update soon or this is going back and i'm moving to Sky.

Like i said, please add your own views- would love to know if anyone else is finding similar problems....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've been wondering about the user interface for this. So, not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭nialler

I'm finding it wonderful, much faster than the old box the only thing that's irritating me is the inability to jump 10 channels at a time in the guide, it's just a scroll, a fast scroll but scroll none the less, I want to go through the channels a lump at a time.

As for wireless, it's crap, I stuck on a net gear wireless router to increase speed and range.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Hey Cliff, What version SW are you running? The latest version is pretty quick and I have no lag at all on using the remote. I guess you have a duff box or out of date software...

Check settings> Horizon box>Software or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Hey Cliff, What version SW are you running? The latest version is pretty quick and I have no lag at all on using the remote.

Same here. Using it on a 42" Panny Plasma. Super fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have only been using Horizon for a couple of days, but my initial impressions are that it is insultingly bad, no one testing this could have not noticed how bad it is, so unintuitive.

If you're implying that we didn't highlight this to UPC when they surveyed the people who got early test devices, we did. Well I did anyway and I'm fairly sure others did too, in my case pretty forcefully but clearly they decided to go ahead with the launch anyway. It's not as bad as it was which is perhaps why the posters above are saying that there's no problem but it's definitely slower than the old infrared remote.
    3) Similarly, how do you bring up the current channel's now/next bar without going into a menu/changing channels? You used to be able to just use the arrows and look at what was on other channels. It's bloody ridiculous that this isn;t possible.

Press the 'Back' button and you'll see the current program details, then press the right button to see what's on next. Pretty unintuitive I'd agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 cliff grebouwski

Coylemj: thanks for that. I'll get onto UPC and see if I can get a new box.

Answer me this: is it possible to see what's on now AND next at the same time? Probably the worst thing about the whole service. Christ I can't stand it. Why the hell is there a picture preview of another channel and NOT what's coming on next.

Hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Answer me this: is it possible to see what's on now AND next at the same time?

Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Coylemj: thanks for that. I'll get onto UPC and see if I can get a new box.

Answer me this: is it possible to see what's on now AND next at the same time? Probably the worst thing about the whole service. Christ I can't stand it. Why the hell is there a picture preview of another channel and NOT what's coming on next.

Hate it.

Scroll right whilst in 'Now On TV'.:)

I know how to do that, but it's useless! Why can't they be shown at the same time!?!?!

Why on earth do they have an option for apps (which you will never use) and not what's on next!!!

Madness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 near007

Completely agree with the original post here ... just switched over to UPC Horizon from Sky with BT Broadband ... it is terrible ... am absolutely shocked how UPC woukld go with this! I work in IT and I have been bad clunky under interfaces in my time but this is truly shocking (especially for a mass market product!) ... The TV guide, remote control, Wi-Fi, Apps are all really slow and for the most part completely counter-intuitive! ...
    Really sorry I moved from Sky ... counting the months till I can go back to the easy-to-use Sky+ box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I agree with OP, the old way of checking other channels was a lot less unobtrusive.

Now I get major groans from the OH when I'm checking out whats on. I had to just go in to TV guide and navigate there. It's a pain in the backside.

Horizon has some great features but if I had the option of the old interface I would take it in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Was mad to get Horizon but looking at the reviews I'll be dumping it first chance I get (4 months left ) and just sticking to phone+broadband from upc and sky then..

near007 wrote: »
    Completely agree with the original post here ... just switched over to UPC Horizon from Sky with BT Broadband ... it is terrible ... am absolutely shocked how UPC woukld go with this! I work in IT and I have been bad clunky under interfaces in my time but this is truly shocking (especially for a mass market product!) ... The TV guide, remote control, Wi-Fi, Apps are all really slow and for the most part completely counter-intuitive! ...
    Really sorry I moved from Sky ... counting the months till I can go back to the easy-to-use Sky+ box

Hi Near, I don't see the relevance working in IT has to do with it. I also work in IT and wouldn't speak to their helpdesk until I was put on to someone who knew what they were talking about when referencing the wireless. As the Horizon box was under my tv (bottom shelf) below about 100 xbox games and DVDs I figured this might have some bearing on the range, which it did, I stuck a Netgear N300 on it.

The wifi is slow @ 60mbits from the Horizon box, I'm getting 98mbits from the Netgear wireless, the unit is wired from the wan port to the horizon box. I can imagine even with 60mbits this is much faster than anything BT and their ADSL offerings can give you unless of course you were using fibre.

The interface on the Horizon box is much quicker (my experience) than the old box, although it seems to vary for some posters in this thread. I did have Sky+ HD with the world package and 3 other rooms, I was paying €180 per month for that, plus €80 for ADSL/Phone from Smart's 24/24 business package. I'm now paying approx €110 for the lot, no movie or sports packages but as an IT guy it's easy to find your way around that especially with 150mbits on tap. As for using apps on it, I haven't even looked at them, that's what my xbox/ipad/appletv are for.

All I will say is keep hassling the help desk, if you can't get a satisfactory solution to your issues ask for the problem to be elevated to an engineer if you still don't get a satisfactory resolution to your problem, Sue them in the small claims court, that's what I did many years ago when their digital/HD/broadband offering was not fit for purpose. Needless to say I won, gave them a year or two then went back.

Nialler

2) Why the hell can't you see what's on now AND next AT THE SAME TIME?!?!?! Seriously, this is insane and makes finding anything to watch near impossible.

THIS

I thought I read somewhere that someone said it's the back and right button on the remote Ledge, can't be sure, haven't read the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 near007

@ Nialler thanks for the reply - to clarify the only reason I mentioned my background in IT is that I have experience in GUI development and am astonished that UPC would go with this user interface ... anyway thanks for the reply ... will keep at them!

Keep at them near, it's the only way to get them to react. With regard though to the GUI or EPG I'm quite happy with it, far superior to the slow cumbersome lump of shoyte that was the last box. To be honest it's generally MTV or Geordie shore on our TV for the kids or the soaps for the missus, everything else we watch is streamed from the laptop or the imac.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

I did have Sky+ HD with the world package and 3 other rooms, I was paying €180 per month for that,

That's a lot :eek:
    Thought it would be around €130 a month?
    (€70 for all Channels, €15 a month x 3 & €15 for HD)

was over 2 years ago white, 2 x HD boxes and 2 x standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

nialler wrote: »
    was over 2 years ago white, 2 x HD boxes and 2 x standard.

World Pack HD
    3 multi Room Subscriptions
    Should be €139 a month not €180

Entertainment Extra with Sports and Movies HD €94
    Extra Subscription €15
    Extra Subscription €15
    Extra Subscription €15

Total = €139

What is €180 for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

My horizon box Was very slow after first setup. It would take 5 Min for the menu to come after pressing the button .I think it was down to the media scanning thing in my network settings . After doing a factory reset and but not setting up the network scanning all's fine now.

Shame the whole interface is terrible as well as no easy way to turn on and off subtitles like the old box .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Got up this morning and its gone slow for me now. Pressing menu button and it takes 6 seconds for the menu to open . Dis a power cycle and it fixed for a while .

If its the same tomorrow ill be ringing them to take it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Don't do SET UP HOME MEDIA
    Do not scan media devices
    https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5339/

Horizon Box freezing is caused by this if you RUN SET UP HOME MEDIA IN NETWORK SETTINGS
    If you have small number of files and is mostly music you will be ok but if you have over 1000 files and are mostly video you will cause the horizon box to freeze or become unresponsive

Only way to fix this is to do a factory reset and when asked say NO to keep any previous settings you must say NO

You can still play videos and Music using My Library My Devices
    On your PC/Laptop just install DLNA server software like Twonky
    or you can use Windows Media Player streaming
    Install VCL Player for MKV Playback or install Shark007 codec
    Add videos or Music you want to share to either Twonky or Windows Media Player Library

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OP I totally agree its absolutely terrible. Like significantly worse than the last one. The only thing I did not like on the old one was the guide which was too slow and it make it unsuable. Now almost everything is that slow.

I'd love to see the boxes of the people who think its fast. Mine is click, wait, click, wait for almost everything.

The only thing that works (relatively) fast is channel up and down

I checked the software and its the latest version. Is there anything I can do. I HATE this feckin box!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Eamonn

Hi all,

I would invite anyone experiencing service issues with Horizon to PM UPC: Reps with their account details, so we can investigate further.

Please note as well that we are passing on all the feedback from this thread to our Horizon Team.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Zascar wrote: »
    OP I totally agree its absolutely terrible. Like significantly worse than the last one. The only thing I did not like on the old one was the guide which was too slow and it make it unsuable. Now almost everything is that slow.

I'd love to see the boxes of the people who think its fast. Mine is click, wait, click, wait for almost everything.

The only thing that works (relatively) fast is channel up and down

I checked the software and its the latest version. Is there anything I can do. I HATE this feckin box!!

Which box did you have previously, the Cisco HD one?

There are quite a few things I don't like on the Horizon box (mostly menu layout, inconsistency, and the scrolling in the Guide), but pretty much everything on this box is faster than the Cisco one for me. The Horizon Guide is vastly better than the Cisco one, for me; no question whatsoever.

So either you have a dud Horizon, I had a dud Cisco box, or we both have fuzzy memories ;)

Does anyone else find that the little "next channel" preview window is a massive waste of time?

I get the impression that it is one of the things completely slowing down any attempts to scroll through the "now on" menu.... I also get the impression that it was some idiot (senior) marketing person's idea who wouldn't let it be removed. Is there ANY point in it? Scrolling through channels during an ad break, get a preview of all the other ads..... Awesome!

Anyone know if it can be disabled?

Also- is there a quicker way to access subtitles, going into 10 different menus to switch on and off an accessibility option seems somewhat ironic..... no wait, I mean stupid. Really, really stupid.

Ignore that subtitles question, found it by pressing ok and going down a couple of options HOWEVER a new GEM has come to my attention:

Old version- Press OK, see what's on now and next, can scroll up and down to see now and next on all other channels. PERFECT!!

New version: Press OK- here's what comes up (after about 5 seconds): Pause, info and record- WHYYYYY????? All of these have their own buttons on the remote. What in the hell is the point in giving them another menu. JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST WHO OK'd THIS.

Another Gem: You can see what's on now and then scroll across and see what's on next. HOW DO YOU SEE WHAT"S ON AFTER THAT!?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Another Gem: You can see what's on now and then scroll across and see what's on next. HOW DO YOU SEE WHAT"S ON AFTER THAT!?!?!?!

That's one thing the old box has over the sky box.

Thanks for this thread, I was in 2 minds to get Horizon, now I know I won't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 itstomb

3 days with new box and I could write a thesis on the problems with this piece of crap .... simply put, it is not fit for purpose .... I am telling them to take it back tomorrow.

For potential future Horizon customers, please believe that the above posts do not even begin to describe the extent of the problems. They are so much worse.

I would like to add one further source of frustration you will experience .... Imagine if you would ... having laboriously scrolled through the guide to set your reminders for a pleasant evening watching tv, maybe you then want to look at the planner to remind yourself of what's ahead .... well, guess what, YOU CANT. The only way to see your reminders is to go through entire guide again, all the while trying to remember from page to page what you set on the previous page. Reminders are not included in the planner .... brilliant ('my reminders' option is properly set to 'On').

My greatest annoyance however is that UPC use the opportunity to effectively change account periods so that they are paid in advance for the month of torture ahead ... almost like they knew there would be lots of returns.

SORRY SKY .... I know I said it was you not me .... I LIED, IT WAS ME .... I still love you, I have now left the Great (not) Pretender ... forgive me, take me back and I'm yours for life

Advertisement