Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's not that bad! Anyone but Monaghan is a disaster sure. Kerry is the best of the other 3 to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    Kerry - Cavan
    Dublin - Cork
    Mayo - Donegal
    Monaghan - Tyrone

Disaster draw for Cavan.

At least there's Dublin - Cork which means one team I don't like will go out, and even though I don't like either I hope Cork win just to see Dublin out.

Apart from Monaghan which would have given us a chance based on last day out against them, there was no easy draws. Dublin would have murdered us for a few reasons as they are the one team who would massively outnumber us. Kerry are some team and will be massive favourites but we are battle hardened now, got the Croke Park monkey off our back and no-one will give us a chance so expectations will be low. The romantic in me loves the idea of Cavan - Kerry.

We are in bonus territory for this season and am not expecting too much but expect the lads to give it a good lash - the shackles will be off.

On a personal note am dreading it as I'm married to a Kerry woman - abuse has started already from the in-laws so may have to go into hiding... but if we won - I would personally plant a Cavan flag in the middle of Fitzgerald stadium..

Hammar wrote: »
    So when will we know if we are playing on the Saturday or Sunday???
    I assume Dublin-Cork will be the Saturday 7pm game.

Yeah Dublin will be stand alone on Saturday night - Tyrone have to play Sunday as no bank holiday in the north so two slots left!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

I had just hoped for Mayo or Monaghan, but huge progress has been made this season and few would've given us a chance against Armagh or Derry. After the initial 'oh s***e' has worn off I think Cavan are not completely out of it. Stranger things have happened! Come on Cavan! Anyway football over for this weekend, hurling time now, up the Cats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Thats the draw we wanted :D kerry in croke park !!! now we are mixing with the big boys !!!

tickets are going to be scarce for the cavan v monaghan all ireland final :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I'm assuming because we are on the same side of the draw as Dublin/Cork,we will be playing before them at 5pm on Saturday.
    It might not be a bit of harm looking for tickets right away,because good ones will be hard to come by with the Dubs on the same card.
    I just ordered some off tickets.ie,and got some in Section 330 (Hogan Stand),which are close to half way.
    If we end up playing on the Sunday,i will not be a happy boy.

I'm assuming because we are on the same side of the draw as Dublin/Cork,we will be playing before them at 5pm on Saturday.
    It might not be a bit of harm looking for tickets right away,because good ones will be hard to come by with the Dubs on the same card.
    I just ordered some off tickets.ie,and got some in Section 330 (Hogan Stand),which are close to half way.
    If we end up playing on the Sunday,i will not be a happy boy.

Dublin will be a standalone game AFAIK...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

cavan4sam wrote: »
    tickets are going to be scarce for the cavan v monaghan all ireland final :D
    Don't be ridiculous!

Monaghan won't get to the final. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

You do realise we can't draw Cork right? :rolleyes:
    We can only draw Dublin,Mayo,Monaghan or Kerry.

Yep, i did realize cavan cudnt get cork, it was a side note on the provincial winners draw, wouldve thought that was obvious....:rolleyes:

Ill tell yous one thing, Kerry are no great shakes this year and are ripe for an ambush so yous have every chance lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    I had just hoped for Mayo or Monaghan, but huge progress has been made this season and few would've given us a chance against Armagh or Derry. After the initial 'oh s***e' has worn off I think Cavan are not completely out of it. Stranger things have happened! Come on Cavan! Anyway football over for this weekend, hurling time now, up the Cats!

Can I ask why you hate Cork so much from some of your posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

Donegal secretary reporting Cavan Kerry @2pm on Sunday before Mayo/Donegal game@ 4pm.
    F****in GAA,since when do they seperate the sides of the draw,The 4 teams on the same side of the draw virtually always play in the double header.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's true.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2707132212-football-quarter-final-fixture-details/

It's a good match up anyway. Get to see the best game along with Cavan.

Win Win

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Donegal secretary reporting Cavan Kerry @2pm on Sunday before Mayo/Donegal game@ 4pm.
    F****in GAA,since when do they seperate the sides of the draw,The 4 teams on the same side of the draw virtually always play in the double header.
    :mad:

I think Dublin will get the Saturday night game and they are not going to stick Cavan that will also bring a big crowd the same night as Dublin that guarantee a big crowd.

Disappointed today but not too worried. Hopefully that will be the nerves gone and the monkey off our back. First win in Croke Park in 61 years.

In fairness, a few players like McEnroe looked dead on their feet. I wasn't surprised to see him taken off so early in the second half.

That's why alot of the crowd were surprised that the panel wasn't used more. McVitty made a big difference when he came on and when regular first team starters like McDermott and McLoughlin were on the bench they could have been used earlier.

The only thing now is we have to hope Kerry will underestimate us from that performance. The lads were strong favourites today and I thought that also made it tougher on them. Going for goals early on when points would have kept the scoreboard ticking over.

The Keating miss will play on blooper reels for years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lemlin wrote: »
    I think Dublin will get the Saturday night game and they are not going to stick Cavan that will also bring a big crowd the same night as Dublin that guarantee a big crowd.

Disappointed today but not too worried. Hopefully that will be the nerves gone and the monkey off our back. First win in Croke Park in 61 years.

In fairness, a few players like McEnroe looked dead on their feet. I wasn't surprised to see him taken off so early in the second half.

That's why alot of the crowd were surprised that the panel wasn't used more. McVitty made a big difference when he came on and when regular first team starters like McDermott and McLoughlin were on the bench they could have been used earlier.

The only thing now is we have to hope Kerry will underestimate us from that performance. The lads were strong favourites today and I thought that also made it tougher on them. Going for goals early on when points would have kept the scoreboard ticking over.

The Keating miss will play on blooper reels for years!!

I think Keating was in the square anyway and if he scored it would not have stood.

I think Keating was in the square anyway and if he scored it would not have stood.

Am sure he is telling himself that tonight :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Neeson wrote: »
    It's true.

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2707132212-football-quarter-final-fixture-details/

It's a good match up anyway. Get to see the best game along with Cavan.

Win Win

plus both teams dislike kerry = more cavan support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

Amprodude wrote: »
    Can I ask why you hate Cork so much from some of your posts?

I wouldn't say hate. Dislike, yes. Just typical Kilkenny - Cork rivalry that's all, but hate no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Just home from Croker, 3 matches for 25€ a Cavan win and Meath being put out..not a bad day at all! While our display wasn't 100% I think it's better we got that patchy play out of our system before Kerry. I thought McVitty changed the game when he came on. Overall a 9 point win in Croker would see everyone happy.

I had the "pleasure" of sitting amongst a group of Meath fans who for 70 minutes booed and hissed and swore at the ref and his every movement. A big shout out to the 3 young Cavan lads who kept me and a few others in stitches with their poking at the Meath team!

Roll on Kerry, we'll be underdogs but I think that'll suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

A very poor display by Cavan. But look, a win is a win, we're closing in on end game, there's nothing to lose now.

Keating's miss was a shocker, and that really is putting it lightly. I thought they clicked into gear a bit more towards the end. We could have had the game put to bed early had we converted some of those goal chances but McVeety's entrance helped things, he's virtually another Mackey.

As for the draw, I for one was hoping we'd get Kerry. If you're playing in what will probably be the last game of the year on Bank Holiday Weekend in August, you might as well play Kerry! It will generate a serious buzz and it will let us feel what we haven't felt in years, the anticipation of a big game in Croker against big opposition. There's no need for nerves, we're in bonus territory, don't show them any fear, go out and tear into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

As for the draw, I for one was hoping we'd get Kerry. If you're playing in what will probably be the last game of the year on Bank Holiday Weekend in August, you might as well play Kerry! It will generate a serious buzz and it will let us feel what we haven't felt in years, the anticipation of a big game in Croker against big opposition. There's no need for nerves, we're in bonus territory, don't show them any fear, go out and tear into them.

Fair play ! I had family from Cavan with me at the game today. The giddy excitement at just being there, of grown men was just wonderful to see. We counties who make it to the knock out stages on a regular basis, don't know how lucky we have it.

• Advertisement

Yesterday had to be hard for the lads and I'm not surprised they lacked intensity. It has to be hard after playing 90 minutes last week to raise your game for a match that you are 25/1 on to win and that the whole country expects you to win.

I expect to see a very different Cavan next week in terms of focus, determination and effort. The unforced errors and nervousness will hopefully have gone today.

In terms of changes, I don't think Gilly will be back but I'd have big worries about O'Meara under the high ball. He looked very nervous when he punched those two balls today. When you compare that to Paddy O'Rourke from Meath later on he's a worry.

I think McLoughlin will have to start and mark the Gooch. The player I can see missing out is McEnroe if one of the back line had to be picked. He picked up a knock earlier in the year and just didn't look fit at times.

I'd also start Niall McDermott ahead of Jack. For me Jack isn't justifying the hype at present but, as I've said before, he's a fella in bad need of a break.

Martin Reilly deserves to keep his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Didn't make it to Croker yesterday but trilled for the win. That "run out" (sorry London) will stand for them against Kerry, they wouldn't have a hope if that Kerry was to be their first game in Croker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Didn't make it to Croker yesterday but trilled for the win. That "run out" (sorry London) will stand for them against Kerry, they wouldn't have a hope if that Kerry was to be their first game in Croker.

At half time, its was no run out........london made cavan work, Mackey was the man of the match for me, real pace and determination........great to witness.

All the best for the kerry encounter.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    At half time, its was no run out........london made cavan work, Mackey was the man of the match for me, real pace and determination........great to witness.

I agree. Calling it a "run out" is very disrespectful to London. They gave a good account of themselves.

Cavan can't be complacent playing anyone. We are a Division 3 team and London beat Sligo who we drew with in the League this year.

MidlandsM wrote: »

I'd disagree about Mackey, I thought he didn't look himself until the last 15 minutes of the game, he didn't show anywhere near his usual work rate and threat until the closing stages. For me Killian Clarke was solid throughout and was the real stand out player in defence. I also thought Feargal Flanagan had a good game. Other than that it's hard to pick out anyone that played well. Givney was sloppy but got 3 scores. McEnroe didn't look sharp, he went for a ball at one stage with a 5 yard head start and nearly lost it, he was subbed straight away after that.

It's difficult to know where the mentality of the team will be. Will they be thinking that they really struggled to put London away and fear for what Kerry will do or will they know they are better than they showed yesterday and go out with a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Speaking with one of the lads this morning, he was saying he really struggled to shake off the effects of the Derry game. It's understandable we were a wee bit sluggish. I'm confident we will give a very good account of ourselves against Kerry.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Speaking with one of the lads this morning, he was saying he really struggled to shake off the effects of the Derry game. It's understandable we were a wee bit sluggish. I'm confident we will give a very good account of ourselves against Kerry.

Good thing we're playing on Sunday, the extra day to recover can only be a good thing. Did the lad you were chatting to say anything about getting Kerry?

I hope the lads won't be over awed by playing Kerry, we've certainly reached the point where we no longer fear the big guns in Ulster but can we show the same resolve against Kerry?

As I said above, you only had to look at the lads yesterday to see some of them were wrecked.

I'm sure the video will have been shown to th already this morning and they'll be well aware of their shortcomings yesterday.

People say London had the same pressure on them for their first day out in Croker but I don't think they did. Nobody expected them to win so they had nothing to lose.

In a way, yesterday was a good result in that we're back to being wholly written off again after the plaudits of the Derry game.

We're the team now with nothing to lose next week so we can go out and perform to our best.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Astala

No disrespect, but a ''run out" is how Kerry see their next match against Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭celt262

Astala wrote: »
    No disrespect, but a ''run out" is how Kerry see their next match against Cavan.

I know and Kerry will win easy if they decide to run at Cavan it will be over after 15 mins. Of course i hope if wrong.

Advertisement