Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC BBC one problem?

• 17-11-2014 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this but I can't find anywhere more suitable. Saying that feel free to move it or delete it if it's not appropriate.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having problems with BBC one on analogue UPC? All the other stations are fine and I've checked the cable so I think the problem could be UPC's but I just want to check if it could be something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

What sort of problem are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

What sort of problem are you having?

Thanks for coming back to me. Just poor quality picture (almost staticy) sometimes black and white, and diagonal lines rolling along the screen. Sorry probably not a great description but it's the only station where the picture quality is in any way poor.

Funnily enough it's working fine now! Maybe the problems fixed (kiss of death I'm sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Check your reception on BBC 2 and Channel 4. These are usually the first to be affected by poor connections due to potential interference from DAB and Saorview transmissions. If these are good, then your problem is likely to be a strong localised source of interference.

Have a look around your neighbours. Any unusual-looking aerials around?

Check your reception on BBC 2 and Channel 4. These are usually the first to be affected by poor connections due to potential interference from DAB and Saorview transmissions. If these are good, then your problem is likely to be a strong localised source of interference.

Have a look around your neighbours. Any unusual-looking aerials around?

Thanks for coming back to me. BBC 2 and channel 4 seem fine. Hmmmm seems to be just me anyway. I'll check about the aerials later when I get home. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Try a Re-Tune. BBC One on Analogue is working fine for me at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

Check your reception on BBC 2 and Channel 4. These are usually the first to be affected?

The OP didn't say where in the country he or she is?

The frequencies of TV channels on analogue cable differ from place to place. What you say applies to Dublin but the OP might be elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies folks. In Dublin alright but it seems hit and miss. It's working fine now but it wasn't earlier.

Anyway sounds like the problem isn't system wide. I'll have a look at the cables over the weekend to see if there's a loose connection (although it seems strange that'd only affect one station).

Thanks again for the help folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

I've found the UPC analogue service has deteriorated over the last 5 or 6 months. Can't watch BBC2 or C4 anymore. Other channels poor. I've just signed up to their basic digital package as the annual bill is now over €414 for analogue. €480 for the digital package I want. Hopefully the reception will be better with digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

gerard_65 wrote: »
    I've found the UPC analogue service has deteriorated over the last 5 or 6 months. Can't watch BBC2 or C4 anymore. Other channels poor. I've just signed up to their basic digital package as the annual bill is now over €414 for analogue. €480 for the digital package I want. Hopefully the reception will be better with digital.

UPC analog suffers from a number of different reasons which include

1 Badly screened cable in your home, use of old brown cable in particular
    2. Signal strength is too strong for many of the cheaply made flatscreen tv's.
    3. Use of old distribution amplifiers which also cannot take the signal strength being too high on the input.

The signal strength has been increased to allow the transmission of the digital and broadband service ...

Advertisement