Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boosting WiFi signal

Options
  • 09-10-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TommyQ

Depending on your house (Thickness of the walls, Position of the Wireless AP/Router) your performance can vary wildly. I use a set of TPLINK Power Line adapters that I bought from Amazon for €21 and I have to say that while initially sceptical about how they would perform that have been fantastic.

TPLINK also do a Dual band (5 and 2.4GHZ) wireless access point for about €35 which (barring the Lancom 681 or any Ubiquity product) is without doubt the best wireless access point I have ever come across. The Range on it is staggering. Great home access point. I'll dig out the actual Model number and pop it up here at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gonna also give a plus one to homeplugs. How much are you willing to spend? Some of the very new Devolo products are meant to be very good (I've an old Devolo 85 that is fairly ancient, but still working). If the links are next a number of other power connectors, get one with an "integrated power socket", as it has tech that handles the extra power noise better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Phoenix wrote: »
    will spend up to 100 CAD so about 70 EUR
    If you can push it to 130; http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00C5IA4XI
    Or even 123; http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00D6WR6SI
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Advertisement

I've the "85" range, and find them great, but slowish (can't stream HD, only SD). They're 5 years old however, but the newer iPhones didn't like the old WiFi adapter (android phones still connected fine).

IT REALLY DEPENDS ON YOUR WIRING, however. With the dlan 85Mbps version, I get 6.25Mb to 7.03Mb transfer speeds. I got a lend (well, eVision service that we ended up giving back) of a faster (newer) pair, and the speeds were increased to around the 12Mb speed, and a bit above. The model number brought up no matches, but I think they were Devolo dlan 200's with Eircoms logo on it. From reading forums, some people got 10Mb-15Mb speeds with the dlan 85's, so it varies greatly.

Anything after the 200 can mix n match, but the dlan 85's can't, so don't get the dlan 85's. I only have them (the Devolo dlan 85's) as I never got around to upgrading them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Phoenix wrote: »
    How good are duvolo though?

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I have the Netgear power line adaptor.

Netgear XWNB5201 500Mbps Powerline Wi-Fi Extender/Access Point Kit.

I am on UPC 120meg connection.there was a dead spot in one room of my house and this solved it.I now get between 50-60 meg stable connection.Never a glitch watching 1080p streaming.Got it last week. PC World have this at €109.99 but i discovered that UPC have a special deal with another company to supply it at a special price of €88 to UPC customers which beat the price of Amazon as well. UPC support told me it is the one they have tested on their network and thats why they recommend it.
    Today i got an email from Amazon with a price reduction.You can now get it for about €70 with free super saver delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009T67ZSQ/ref=pe_208621_56906181_em_1p_0_ti

Advertisement