Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Outdoor Toilet

Options
  • 24-09-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi I hope this is the correct forum to post in.

Due to space constraints within our house, we are considering building an outside toilet. We have a main bathroom in the house but would like a second loo. We don't want an ensuite and don't have room to put one under the stairs.

Our garden has a block built shed with plumbing and electricity, it has a washing machine and dryer already in it. We are wondering if we could build a small extension so to speak on to it, where we could put a small sink and a toilet.

I know it is very unusual these days and I can't think of anyone who currently has one. But I think it could be really handy! I had a look on google and could not find much info at all, all the suggestions seemed to be for self composting toilets etc...

So, is there anyone here who has one, has built one, knows someone who does them? Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    There would be no problem building a space to shed for that. The only thing you need to look at is where your sewer pipe is, would it be close to shed.
    NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Rachob wrote: »
    Hi I hope this is the correct forum to post in.

Due to space constraints within our house, we are considering building an outside toilet. We have a main bathroom in the house but would like a second loo. We don't want an ensuite and don't have room to put one under the stairs.

Our garden has a block built shed with plumbing and electricity, it has a washing machine and dryer already in it. We are wondering if we could build a small extension so to speak on to it, where we could put a small sink and a toilet.

I know it is very unusual these days and I can't think of anyone who currently has one. But I think it could be really handy! I had a look on google and could not find much info at all, all the suggestions seemed to be for self composting toilets etc...

So, is there anyone here who has one, has built one, knows someone who does them? Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

No problem with that idea. Look up "saniflow"
    Its a shredder pump for toilets and sinks + the waste pipe is only 3/4" I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Make sure the shed is well insulated or has some kinda frost protection. I've seen alot of cisterns spilt in outside toilets in colder weather

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Make sure the shed is well insulated or has some kinda frost protection. I've seen alot of cisterns spilt in outside toilets in colder weather

Good point. We had a garage toilet. You can get a small wall mounted heater that kicks in at 5 degrees or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MadsL wrote: »
    Good point. We had a garage toilet. You can get a small wall mounted heater that kicks in at 5 degrees or so.

Ye something like that. Maybe a frost stat that cuts in at 0 degrees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Rachob

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

I think access to sewer drainage shouldn't be an issue. Good advice re insulation and/or heater. I was thinking of a vent, one would always have one in a toilet but would we be inviting the elements in even more if we put one in?

I will look up saniflow and see what the story is. I suppose the next step will be to get someone out to see what it will cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

I think access to sewer drainage shouldn't be an issue. Good advice re insulation and/or heater. I was thinking of a vent, one would always have one in a toilet but would we be inviting the elements in even more if we put one in?
    U
    I will look up saniflow and see what the story is. I suppose the next step will be to get someone out to see what it will cost!

It will cost a sh1t load !

Only joking, best of luck with project. Call us if you need more help .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

scudo2 wrote: »
    It will cost a sh1t load !

Only joking, best of luck with project. Call us if you need more help .

don't get niell tobin to build it anyway

Ha! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

Ha! Thanks

glad you got the joke but at least you would have a Dublin builder :P

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    glad you got the joke but at least you would have a Dublin builder :P

Well as a Cork woman I am always partial to a bad pun. Or even a good one, they have to come naturally though, you can't faucet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PatrickBoylan

I think a composting toilet would work well. If you google "compositng toilets Ireland" you'll find a few suppliers. Some units use electricity to aid the composting pricess.That said there was a non electric version of the one we have also available. Installation is easy as there is no water or plumbing required, no septic tank either. Hope that helps
    P

Advertisement