Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have got use to sky now. Herbert is excellent, Brundle and crofty the same. Damon is still a bit wooden but he is a WC. The practise sessions are where you hear the best banter.

The coverage is repetitive but I couldn't watch BBC highlights anymore.

BBC without Jake is the death knell of BBC coverage for me. I know they made this deal with Sky to save money, I wonder how many viewers it will costs them in the end though

Sky's coverage has improved over the course of the season, the two main weakpoints for me are Lazenby and that they just seem to try to fit too much into some sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,621 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Alonso: any new Ferrari driver must be stronger than Massa.
    Fernando Alonso says Ferrari must be convinced it is hiring a driver who is stronger than Felipe Massa if it decides to replace the Brazilian.

Massa's future at the Maranello team has been in doubt since the opening few races of the season. Several drivers, including Sergio Perez, have been linked to his seat in recent months.

Alonso labelled the drivers on that list as "little names" compared to Massa and his achievements in Formula 1.

"I've been working with Felipe for three years now and we have a very good relationship," said Alonso on Thursday in Singapore.

"If the team decides to change Felipe, anyone who arrives has to be better than Felipe.

"I've seen a lot of names written, and I don't know if they have been written with the head or the heart.

"With all the names you hear, if you compare what Felipe has done in Formula 1 and what these little names have done in Formula 1..."

The two-time champion stressed that another priority for Ferrari should be to find a driver who respects its tradition and is ready to work for the team.

"I think we need to respect the decision the team will make," said Alonso.

"In my opinion we need to have a driver that respects Ferrari, that respects the tradition that here we work for the team, for the red cars, and this is the first priority."
    Article on Autosport.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Schumacher it is then :pac:

Joking aside, surely thats really really unlikely?

EnterNow wrote: »

Indeed. I can see Schumi staying at Mercedes.

If Massa is replaced at Ferrari, it will be with a driver who will do a better job, but also a driver that won't scare Alonso.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Who knows what idea's for the show Bernie has in his head. Remember Irvine going to Ferrari.

Would MS ever go back there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Could you imagine him getting the "Fernando is faster than you" call?

No chance of him going back to Ferrari I reckon. In that article Fernando basically says he wants Massa, and thats what'll probably happen.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Could you imagine him getting the "Fernando is faster than you" call?

No chance of him going back to Ferrari I reckon. In that article Fernando basically says he wants Massa, and thats what'll probably happen.

I tend to agree, its not a role that would suit Alonso nor Schumacher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I see Massa getting another year, if he can keep his form from Monza.

I also think Hamilton will stay at McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Provisional calendar for next year according to Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102674

Wouldn't mind a spin over for Canada & New Jersey back to back.:)

• Advertisement

Hamilton with a silver helmet, hmm :D

Also no audio feed for Setanta's coverage of FP1. "Circumstances beyond our control"...bollox, what a utter tripe channel.

Vettel sporting another new helmet design, this time incorporating flashing led's onto the top of it. Getting a bit much at this stage

Rascasse wrote: »

I tend to agree, its not a role that would suit Alonso nor Schumacher

For reputation Alonso would have to dominate MS. Anything less would be a failure for him against a 21 year veteran. MS is still driving to WC standards and this year he could have been up there but for car failure.
    Vettel sporting another new helmet design, this time incorporating flashing led's onto the top of it. Getting a bit much at this stage

He is turning into lady Gaga or peter gabriel. A new hat even time he go's outside

peter-gabriel.jpgpeter-gabriel-200-031110.jpg
    Lady-Gaga1.jpg

I'd say all those helmet design changes are down to Red Bull and not Vettel.

Jordan 191 wrote: »

Why wouldn't Webber be changing the designs too in that case? I'd say he gets paid a fortune to advertise different designs etc

Why wouldn't Webber be changing the designs too in that case? I'd say he gets paid a fortune to advertise different designs etc
    Impossible to know but Webber isn't the golden boy like Vettel is. If it was Red Bull insisting on it it would be Vettel indirectly getting paid by advertisers. I just think it's Vettel not giving a crap about tradition and adding more money to his/Red Bull's pile.

It's because Vettel was backed by Red Bull in other formula before he came to F1. He has a long association with Red Bull.

Jordan 191 wrote: »

No it is Vettel. He wants to keep all his own memorobilia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Designs are by Jens Munser, Seb has an input but nothing to do with Red Bull. He purely designs racing helmets for drivers. http://www.jmd.de/neu/

My first day watching Sky F1...now I like Hamilton I've no probs saying that...but jesus christ, is Herbert in love with him or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

My first day watching Sky F1...now I like Hamilton I've no probs saying that...but jesus christ, is Herbert in love with him or something?

yeah they're horribly biased towards Mclaren (Lewis in particular) in their build up etc, the race commentary team is grand though i find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Grim. wrote: »
    yeah they're horribly biased towards Mclaren (Lewis in particular) in their build up etc, the race commentary team is grand though i find.
    In fairness, its not surprising after ITV and BBC's coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭recyclebin

lord lucan wrote: »
    Provisional calendar for next year according to Autosport.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102674

Wouldn't mind a spin over for Canada & New Jersey back to back.:)

I'm thinking of doing this or maybe Belgium and Italy. I've been to the grand prix in Montreal before so i'm leaning more towards going to Spa and Monza back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Vettel changes his helmet colour nearly every race, his choice. Only things that are the same is position on every design are Sponsors logos.
    Wow LEDS for sebs weekend,thats a first... are they powered keneticly???!!!! :O

Webber's new design, is from the competition winner for designing Mark's new colours (could be just for Singapore.)

Anyone think Kimi's 'Iceman calligraphy' design when he was at ferrari were much much better than the boring black and white thing he has now... i mean it doesnt even say 'Iceman' . fail.
    One of the best tracks of the year, at night, better track even than Monaco(Challenge wise) > quick plus u can overtake.

Webber's new design, is from the competition winner for designing Mark's new colours (could be just for Singapore.)

Webber's new design is just for the Singapore GP.

s1_1.jpg

I read on the Red Bull site that he was submitted 1,118 designs and he reviewed them all and picked the one above.

....and Jenson is doing OK too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I miss the days when the drivers had their own distinct and instantly recognisable helmet design. Most drivers seem to be changing their helmet design every week as if it would magically help their performance or something like that.

208520.jpg

Apparently the shark fin that's attached to engine cover on the Mercedes above may be on all F1 cars next year.

The drivers car number, initials and national flag will be on the fin, just like the one above.

Picture above was taken at Magny-Cours test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Ton Cary of the Telegraph tweeted this, Hamilton to replace Schumacher. Ross Brawn told me today Rosberg "100 per cent will be with us next year"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Ton Cary of the Telegraph tweeted this, Hamilton to replace Schumacher. Ross Brawn told me today Rosberg "100 per cent will be with us next year"

I will be sad to see schumi go :(

Advertisement